MAGNET Magazine's list of the five most overrated and five most underrated Wilco songs

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Magnet should have voted on whether or not Wilco should bring back Jay I guess. And that list is BS.

And I love Heavy Metal Drummer. And Son Volt. And Nels Cline.

Impossible Germany is prolly my favorite song on SBS.

I agree with the assessment of Company. ho hum, another list, another opinion :yawn

They did the same over/underrated thing with The Replacements, and that article just seemed to prove that the writer really had no clue about The Replacements and their fans.

Where did they get this idea that everyone hates "Heavy Metal Drummer"? My impression is that the majority of people here have either loved, or at least liked the song at some point. I still like the song, probably always will.

I'm tempted to find an oxymoronic way to imply aggressive apathy toward something. How bout this:

MEH!!!

I have a friend who does this:

SO???? (but it's hard to type, you can't say it like a little kid, you have to say it like a surly mid-western rural type, comes out more like "sow")

We are creepy here at Via Chicago no doubt. I'm not sure about the whole vocal issue on Via Chicago? However his discussion about Heavy Metal Drummer and AM is true for alot of folks on this message board. I think a lot of later fans of the band YHF onward do look down on the straighforward AM and the overt simplisitic poppiness of Heavy Metal Drummer. I do agree he is wrong about the Son Volt thing. I don't know, anyone who views Anodyne as remarkable is ok in my book. It is my favorite album of all time afterall.

Oh but he was terribly wrong about Impossible Germany. I am not a fan of guitar solos but there are a few that will never get old. Allman Bros Blue Sky, Queen We Will Rock You, and I definetly throw Impossible Germany in that crowd. Amazing and never tires.

I like stuff like that.

I actually agree with much of it. Hummingbird on AGIB isn't near as good as the solo acoustic live version OR the Wilco Book version.

He brings up a good point on the Theologians lyrics. And the live versions are SO much better....especially when Tweedy shouts "noone's ever gonna take my life from me".

Impossible Germany IS great. The writer's wrong. He's wrong about Via Chicago.

His underrated songs are good....though I wouldn't call Shot in the Arm "underrated". I thought that was always a highly-rated Wilco song.

I kinda tried on Bon Iver, not feeling it. I like lists like this too. It makes us stand up and take sides. Causes us to yell and scream and run and hide. Anyway my personal most overrated Wilco song is ....................................(not that anyone cares)..........................................................................

.Poor Places

My most underrated is......................................Pot Kettle Black

Most over-rated Wilco song: I'm The Man That Loves You

Most under-rated Wilco song: Hotel Arizona

Ooh, Hotel Arizona is a good under rated one. Nice job

Oh I change my under rated easily Dash 7 that song is beautiful!

Guest Gym Teacher Man
This person has no idea what they are talking about. I don't give a crap about She & Him or Bon Iver. :P

exactly. and i love son volt. and i like heavy metal drummer quite a bit. and i don't think i'm fucking creepy.

They did the same over/underrated thing with The Replacements, and that article just seemed to prove that the writer really had no clue about The Replacements and their fans.

Where did they get this idea that everyone hates "Heavy Metal Drummer"? My impression is that the majority of people here have either loved, or at least liked the song at some point. I still like the song, probably always will.

Agree. HMD is "out of place" on YHF, but it always gets the crowd going at every live show. To say that Wilco fans hate HMD is ridiculous.