Grandaddy (New Jason Lytle Solo Album)

Not sure if there are any 'Grandaddy' fans out there, but Jason Lytle has his first solo album coming out in May. He has a new website and is heading out on tour soon. Grandaddy were a great little band who unfortunatly disbanded a few years back. If this new album is as good as the Grandaddy stuff then we're in for a treat.

http://www.jasonlytle.com/cgi-bin/WebObjec...wa/page?id=8994

I saw Grandaddy open once for Elliott Smith and once for Coldplay maybe in 2000? They were a great band. Still listen to Softwareslump once in awhile...

Thanks for the heads up!

Softwareslump is a beautiful album. 'He's Simple, He's Dumb, He's The Pilot' is one of my all-time favourite tunes. I can't think of many better albums over the past ten years. It's one of those albums you just put on and let it play all the way through.

Jason also contributed to the recent M. Ward album 'Hold Time'. I think he is on the track 'Save Me', providing some nice little keyboard bits.

I still listen to Sumday more than I would like to admit. Looking forward to this, but hoping it beats that Fambly Cat record.

Ok, why would you not want to admit that you listen to "Sumday"? What a sweet record.

Ok, why would you not want to admit that you listen to "Sumday"? What a sweet record.

Oh, I'll admit that I listen to it. I am just slightly ashamed of how often I still come back to it after all these years given the amount of music I want to hear but never seem to get to. But whatever. I like it.

Sumday is a great album. Not as interesting as Software Slump, but I'd say I like it more for some reason.

I've heard that Jason's new music sounds like Grandaddy, which is good as long as it's not Fambly Cat Grandaddy.

Never understood why Fambly Cat got so much stick. I think it's a grat album. At least the equal of Sumday. Tracks like 'Summer...It's Gone' and 'Rearview Mirror' are as good as they ever made. In fact I'm gonna go and listen to it right now and give it some much needed love.

Not sure if there are any 'Grandaddy' fans out there, but Jason Lytle has his first solo album coming out in May. He has a new website and is heading out on tour soon. Grandaddy were a great little band who unfortunatly disbanded a few years back. If this new album is as good as the Grandaddy stuff then we're in for a treat.

http://www.jasonlytle.com/cgi-bin/WebObjec...wa/page?id=8994

By the way, I saw Grandaddy play at Bonnaroo in 2004, and they covered Pavement's Here. Before singing it Jason said something along the lines of "This is a song by a band who had the sense to bow out at the right time." I'm guessing he wanted to have the same sense with Grandaddy, whether or not I agree that was the right time.

Awesome link, thanks! Have you heard The Gathering Tape?

You know, that's about the only thing that I don't have. I've got a rather raw version of Our Dying Brains from it, but other than that, nothing. I've scoured the net and record store bins picking up just about everything else. If you've got a copy, I'd love to hear it. nudge nudge, wink wink.

You know, that's about the only thing that I don't have. I've got a rather raw version of Our Dying Brains from it, but other than that, nothing. I've scoured the net and record store bins picking up just about everything else. If you've got a copy, I'd love to hear it. nudge nudge, wink wink.

When I get home I'll upload it for everyone. At the rate my day's shaping up though, that will be tomorrow afternoon.

The track streaming on Stereogum sounds great - Thanks!

Listen :music

Not bad. It seems he's pretty much found his niche with the same types of sounds and lyrical themes.

I'll probably get it to see what he's up to.

What was it about Fambly Cat that was so different?

I have it, too, and remember not really wanting to listen to it like the previous two. Never heard the first album.

What was it about Fambly Cat that was so different?

I listened to a good bit of it today, and now I remember.

It's a horribly paced record and a lot of songs sound incomplete.

The poppy/catch songs are relegated to the end of the album.

Some sound just like codas. One instrumental sounds just like the backing track that vocals were never added to.

I think they must have known the band was over before releasing this and they just mostly found old outtakes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just downloaded the album yesterday, I've listened to it a couple of times through and it's not too shabby. I might actually buy it. It does sound a LOT like Grandaddy, but that's hardly the worst thing in the world.

• 4 months later...

For me I have 'Yours Truly, The Commuter' down as album of the year. Side two is absolutly beautiful, especially 'Rollin home alone' which I have played more than any other song this year (although the Harvest version of 'journey through the past' of Neil Young's Archive Vol I is also up there!!). Anyway, for those that liked it there may be a follow up coming along very shortly. Checking on Jason's website it looks like he is readying some songs for an album in 2010. Jason frequents the forum of the website and is frequently answering questions etc.

http://talkscape.jasonlytle.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=446