Three Stooges Remake? Sean Penn as Larry Fine?

Guest Hollinger.

The Farrellys have been talking up Penn and del Toro for a while now. The Carrey thing is new. I would imagine it will take more than 40 pounds to put him at Curly's level. I have a feeling this could be brilliant casting.

I had to check the date to see if it was April 1. Are you kidding me? This sounds like a SNL skit gone awry.

'Three Stooges' coming together at MGM

Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk.

MGM and the Farrelly brothers are finally slapping together their high-profile cast for "The Three Stooges," a comedy project the filmmakers have been developing for years. Sean Penn is set to play Larry, and Jim Carrey is in negotiations to play Curly. Benicio del Toro is a rumored possibility for the brothers' taciturn leader, Moe.

The studio is looking to start production in the fall for a 2010 release slot.

The project was originally set up at Columbia, which produced the 1930s Stooges shorts. C3 Entertainment Inc., which holds the licensing rights to the Stooges brand, then sold the feature rights to Warner Bros. in 2001 for the Farrellys to write and produce the movie. Eventually, Warner Bros. let the rights lapse and MGM's Mary Parent scooped them up along with the Farrellys' continuing participation.

Peter and Bobby Farrelly wrote the script, which Bobby has referenced as "Dumb, Dumber & Dumbest," and will produce with Bradley Thomas and Charlie Wessler. Earl and Robert Benjamin of C3 will executive produce.

The film is not a biopic but a fictional treatment that maintains the Stooges' gleeful slap schtick updated for a modern milieu.

Originally constructed as four separate shorts, the feature screenplay has since been streamlined into a single narrative. Included in the story line is an opening that shows the Stooges as kids in an orphanage, a device that will require some "Benjamin Button"-style visual trickery to place the adult actors' heads on child actors' bodies.

The Stooges maintain remarkably global brand recognition, and their shorts, films and cartoons are still broadcast in 30 countries. The Farrelly brothers' latest comedy "The Heartbreak Kid" grossed $124 million worldwide.

Penn is repped by CAA, Carrey by CAA and the Miller Co.

The New York Times has it. And NPR ran a story last night. It could be a disaster or hilarious. Either way, I'm going. I've always loved them.

I just remembered, there was a made for TV movie:

In spring of 2000, longtime Stooge fan Mel Gibson executive produced a TV movie (The Three Stooges) about the lives and careers of the comedians. Playing Moe was Paul Ben-Victor; Evan Handler was Larry; John Kassir was Shemp; and Michael Chiklis was Curly. It filmed in Sydney, Australia and was produced for and broadcast on ABC. It was based on Michael Fleming's authorized biography of the Stooges, The Three Stooges: From Amalgamated Morons to American Icons. Its unflattering portrayal of Ted Healy led Healy's son to give media interviews calling the film inaccurate. The film regularly runs on the American Movie Classics (AMC) channel.

I think I'd rather see a well-made biopic on the Stooges. Never seen the Mel Gibson version, but remember it being panned at the time. The Stooges were so awesome, I'd rather just watch the original shorts than a re-make.

The Three Stooges really deserved way more recognition when they were still alive. In the 30's the president of Columbia would call them in every year and act like he was doing them a favor by extending their contracts for another year when in fact the studio was making way more money off the Stooges' shorts than the featured films that the short films ran before. They didn't know for years how badly the were being stooged (nyuk, nyuk).

Last bit of Hoodoo Man Three Stooges trivia: when I was in college I worked as an editorial assistant in the sports department of our local newspaper. Whenever I saw scores come across the AP wire for Nyack, I always changed the name to Nyack, Nyack in honor of Curly. 5 years, never got caught.