Neutral Milk Hotel

Neutral Milk Hotel  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• I love them
    • I hate them
    • I am somewhere in-between
    • I've never heard them

I agree. The only thing that comes remotely close, in my opinion, are the Olivia Tremor Control records. And they are maybe halfway as compelling.

Exactly my feeling about the OTC. I really like their albums but they don't engage on a meaningful level like NMH does. Plus some of OTC's music is just annoying, if I'm being honest. I find myself, on many occasions, having to skip tracks from bands like the Apples to the Music Tapes. Sometimes, their great creativity can generate garbage.

In my opinion, Beulah comes the closest to being the best E6-related band even if they're more of an offshoot of the E6. Of Montreal's music is also pretty great, but again, they're not really a core E6 band.

• 2 weeks later...

Love Aeroplane but have never checked out anything else! I mentioned it elsewhere but Jason Isbell says he listens to Neutral Milk at least 3 times a week. I thought that was interesting because it's no really a sound you associate with Isbell.

I put I love them, but I just want to clarify; so much of what I find compelling is Mangum as a lyricist and vocalist. He's just an awesome presence. Truthfully, I don't think his melodic skills are that much greater than other E6 members. I think there are actually just as many great melodies from the OTC, but the songs don't connect emotionally the same way.

I have 'Aeroplance', which is an amazing (if somewhat intense) album. 'Holland, 1945' is such a great song. I don't have the other album. Is it similar to 'Aeroplane' or a different type of record? Basically.... I love 'Aeroplane', will I love 'Avery Island'?

Thanks.

On a side note, I picked up the '33 3/rd' book on 'Aeroplane' which I would recommend as a great read.

I've listened to it a number of times. I don't hate it, I just don't hear anything worth the fuss. I think whenever I hear overwhelming praise about "getting it" I give a knowing glance to who's rustling behind the curtain.

Same here. I find his voice incredibly difficult to listen to, and I've never been especially impressed by the songs. I voted "hate" but only because "somewhere in between" doesn't adequately summarize my feelings. If there'd been a "don't see what all the fuss is about" option, I'd have voted for that instead.

I feel much the same way about Arcade Fire. There's just nothing there for me. Ooh, and the Decemberists. And easily a dozen other contemporary bands that have been darlings of the indie set at one time or another.

Yeah, I think so. Some days I prefer Avery Island to Aeroplane.

I had Avery Island early on (heard it at my local record shop -- remember Blackout Records on Southport?) and awaited the release of Aeroplane with bated breath. At first, I liked Avery Island more, but then, as time went on... you know.

Still, if you love one, you will love the other.

• 3 weeks later...
In The Aeroplane Over The Sea scares me. i own a copy and it is good, but i rarely listen to it. it just gives me the creeps.

-justin

that's the exact same reaction i had. i have it too, and it gave me the creeps when i heard it. objectively i'd have to say the music is descent, but personally i can't stand it. i've only gave it a listen two or three times, and still haven't managed to sit through the whole thing in one sitting. maybe one day it will grab me, but as of now my opinion is that it is way overhyped, and i have no idea why.

I just listened to the recording of the kids rehearsing the songs and, something about the sound of a chorus of kids doing them was really damn moving.

Thanks so much for posting that link. That was cool as hell.

Oh, and...

Here's a video of the entire thing