Wilco 6/18: Tucson, AZ

As some of you may have known Grizzly Bear were set to play the Rialto on 6/18. This show was just cancelled and it was announced they'll be opening for Wilco at the Centennial Hall instead...

From the Rialto folks:

Hey Grizzly Bear fans and ticket buyers,

I'm contacting you with an update regarding the show... As you may have heard, The Rialto has confirmed Wilco at Centennial Hall on UA campus on Thursday, June 18th, the same night as Grizzly Bear. We knew that it would create a problematic conflict for fans of both bands (not to mention us), so the solution was quite obvious:

We have now confirmed Grizzly Bear as the opening act for the Wilco show at Centennial Hall.

I went over to the band's myspace page and wasn't impressed with the songs I heard.

I'm convinced my space is the last place to get any idea of a sound. Hell you tube is better and that still sucks. Download an album or something with better quality. Not that you are wrong as I haven't even listened yet but I hate to judge bands based on awful sounding streams.

Has anyone been to Centennial Hall before for a show? I've heard it's small, but have no clue.

Holds around 2,500 seats. All seats no standing. No alcohol in the seating area. I'm not pleased with the venue choice. They haven't played Tucson in a decade they should be at the Rialto and it would have sold out fairly fast but us die hards would have had tickets to a show at probably the best venue in the state.

Another show where there can be no drinks in the seating area? Wow. I saw them in NM last years and it was the same way. Oh well, got to get my Wilco fix any way I can. I'm left center near Nels, so I hope it's not too much to the side.

I think I hate all seats venues more than I hate no alcohol in the seating area venues. I think seats at a rock concert seriously fucks with the vibe in a bad way. I liked to stand and rock out and hate being constricted by seats.

• 4 weeks later...
I went over to the band's myspace page and wasn't impressed with the songs I heard.

check out 'Two Weeks' off their new album which is out next week:

(that's from last summer tho, it was unreleased at the time)

the new record is pretty fantastic... i wasn't fully on board with Yellow House, enjoyed 3-4 songs, but found it just pleasant if not kind of dull in spots. this new one is something special though.

i've seen them live twice before, once headlining and once opening for TVOTR, they're usually more energetic live too (drummer is fantastic)

I'm not going to this show, but I had to add my two cents about Grizzly Bear:

People have asked me who my favorite band is, and for at least 3 years it was Wilco- now when people ask me, the answer is Grizzly Bear. I discovered their album Yellow House this year, and it's been life-changing. I haven't seen them live yet, but their videos on youtube indicate that they are quite amazing. I think this will be one of the best shows ever.

Thanks a lot Zebra :)

You're welcome. Although, a few days ago, I had to ask in another thread because the link seemed to get left off the new site. What did you end up requesting?

• 4 weeks later...