Unreal show... was concerned about the venue but it was awesome.

Rare tracks: Hotel Arizona :dancing , Candyfloss, and Can't Stand It

Misunderstood opened and kicked everyone in the face.

ATWYS, Ashes, IG, HD, Shot, Spiders and Hoodoo Voodoo (with shirtless roadie cowbell nonetheless) were all incredible

Others played: Company, Kamera, Face, Jesus, Hummingbird, HMD

Encore 1: Late Greats, CF, Hate it Here, Walken, ITMWLY (everyone leaped off amps, etc.)

Encore 2: RE&B --> IGY, HV, and I'm A Wheel

This was my 20th Wilco show... i had knee surgery 5 days ago and went without my crutches... i'll be deaf, mute, and unable to walk tomorrow --- but it was wonderful!

These guys have so much together on stage and played so well.... the new album is going to blow our minds.

I now just my f'n pre-ordered DVD to show up!

Good night.

I have to say that Sloss Furnaces was a totally awesome and unique venue! The actual space where they have shows sort of looks like a giant airplane hangar from the outside, but inside it's much smaller than you think. And man, the entire place is really, really eye-catching and a testament to a certain era in American history. :thumbup

It seemed like a very enthusiastic crowd, and though it's probably a little clich

Totally great show. The crowd was really into it and the band genuinely seemed to be having fun. I loved the hand drawn pac-man ghost that Glenn kept showing off. The jump off was awesome, and that solo on Hotel Arizona was fantastic. One of the better shows I've seen from them. Of course it probably helps that it was 5 minutes from my house :dance

Thanks for posting the setlist; and thanks to my friend Bob for directing me to this message board!

My first post to the board. BTW, I posted through "add reply" and it didn't take; so I'm trying "Fast Reply". I don't know if the other way has to be approved first before it appears; and I apologize if my post ends up appearing more than once. I'll keep an eye on this thread and delete any additional postings.

The opening of "Misunderstood" took me back to the first time I ever saw Jeff and his band. They played the Big Spring Jam in Huntsville, AL, just before "Being There" was released. I'll never forget the vision of seeing Jeff all bundled up in a heavy coat and knit hat. It was unseasonably cool that Fall evening, but it struck me as odd that someone who was from the upper Midwest wouldn't be comfortable in the cooler temp. Anyway, it was the first of many great performances that I've seen from that ever-changing band.

Regarding last night's performance, I'll say this right off the bat: in the 22 years of attending shows at Sloss Furnace, that is BY FAR the best sound I've expereinced. The metal roof, cement flooring, and one-side-open-one-side-closed configuration of the venue (a national historic site, btw) does not normally lend itself to a great audio experience. But, the front-of-house sound team deserves much praise for pulling off the results they did. Coincidentally, my spot for the entire evening was directly behind the sound board; on the barricade.

One of the most enjoyable parts of a live Wilco show for me are the moments when Jeff banters with the audience. Is there any artist out there that's as quick-witted and spontaneous? At one point, he asked the crowd if we considered ourselves "Birminghamians" or "Birminghamsters". The theme came up later when, apparently after a significant portion of the crowd emphasized that they were from Tuscaloosa (home of the U. of Alabama, 50 miles away), Jeff playfully asked them if they were known as "Tuscalosers".

Adjacent to the building where the concert was in full swing are a set of railroad tracks; and just as the band was launching into one song, a passing train loudly announced it's presence. Jeff stopped, turned and looked around and at his band, then quietly began the song again. The interruption was brief; but it added to the good vibe in the air; and was yet another example of what makes Sloss Furnace unique.

For those of you reading this from other parts of the country, you will find reading about Sloss's history interesting reading.

http://www.slossfurnaces.com/

peace & music

Ashes and ALTWYS back to back? I may have had a meltdown if I'd been there. :blink

Indeed, I did have a meltdown. Effin' awesome show. Ashes was probably teh best performance of the night I have to say. So so soooo good!!!

Thanks for posting the setlist; and thanks to my friend Bob for directing me to this message board!

My first post to the board. BTW, I posted through "add reply" and it didn't take; so I'm trying "Fast Reply". I don't know if the other way has to be approved first before it appears; and I apologize if my post ends up appearing more than once. I'll keep an eye on this thread and delete any additional postings.

The opening of "Misunderstood" took me back to the first time I ever saw Jeff and his band. They played the Big Spring Jam in Huntsville, AL, just before "Being There" was released. I'll never forget the vision of seeing Jeff all bundled up in a heavy coat and knit hat. It was unseasonably cool that Fall evening, but it struck me as odd that someone who was from the upper Midwest wouldn't be comfortable in the cooler temp. Anyway, it was the first of many great performances that I've seen from that ever-changing band.

Regarding last night's performance, I'll say this right off the bat: in the 22 years of attending shows at Sloss Furnace, that is BY FAR the best sound I've expereinced. The metal roof, cement flooring, and one-side-open-one-side-closed configuration of the venue (a national historic site, btw) does not normally lend itself to a great audio experience. But, the front-of-house sound team deserves much praise for pulling off the results they did. Coincidentally, my spot for the entire evening was directly behind the sound board; on the barricade.

One of the most enjoyable parts of a live Wilco show for me are the moments when Jeff banters with the audience. Is there any artist out there that's as quick-witted and spontaneous? At one point, he asked the crowd if we considered ourselves "Birminghamians" or "Birminghamsters". The theme came up later when, apparently after a significant portion of the crowd emphasized that they were from Tuscaloosa (home of the U. of Alabama, 50 miles away), Jeff playfully asked them if they were known as "Tuscalosers".

Adjacent to the building where the concert was in full swing are a set of railroad tracks; and just as the band was launching into one song, a passing train loudly announced it's presence. Jeff stopped, turned and looked around and at his band, then quietly began the song again. The interruption was brief; but it added to the good vibe in the air; and was yet another example of what makes Sloss Furnace unique.

For those of you reading this from other parts of the country, you will find reading about Sloss's history interesting reading.

http://www.slossfurnaces.com/

peace & music

I was at that Big Spring Jam show. I will also never forget the version of Sunken Treasure that night. this was right before Being There was released and before Wilco starting gaining attention and traction.

This venue sounds really cool/neat. Anybody got photos of the inside/architecture.

I didn't go to the Wilco show, but I saw the White Stripes there in July '07. I went back for a tour of Sloss the next day and got this pic of the venue. This would be looking out at the crowd; you can see the surface of the stage in the middle of the picture.

193.jpg