Ticket prices...

it seems like we go through this every time tickets go on sale. i bet if they didn't call out the surcharge and essentially charged you $60 for the concert tickets (instead of say $45 + $15 service charge) there would be a lot less grumbling. don't get me wrong, i think ticketmaster is evil and does shady stuff with the ticket sales (like hijack a bunch of tickets that get filtered onto their sister scalping website), but really, you see the actual cost of the ticket plus the mark up. if you saw the actual cost of a product and then its markup anywhere else, you'd probably stop shopping all together. retailers markup at the very least 50% and more so 100% of items you buy in stores (and on Amazon). look at the iPhone, first generation $600, 3rd generation half-that, yet i'm pretty sure the price of manufacturing and R+T didn't magically go down.

i don't think one ticket place is any better or any worse than another when it comes to fees. if they don't have hefty fees, the shipping usually gets ya and vis-a-vis.

and at the end of the day, i think we should all be thrilled with the fact that wilco does a very good job at keeping their ticket prices very reasonable, so that even with all the fees and shipping we're averaging $60 at ticket. you can't say the same about U2, Madonna, Neil Young ($200 for a ticket to any of his shows) just to name a few. Bob Dylan just announced a baseball stadium tour, base ticket price $62.50 + fees and extras.

$45.00 is not reasonable, it's robbery.

god bless pearl jam for attempting to fight the machine. with the merger between TM and live nation, it doens't look like things are gonna improve, just like dmait alluded to.

sucks.

Yes, God bless the 1995 version of Pearl Jam.

But not the 2009 version with Eddie Vedder charging $73 (before all the TM add-on BS) for a solo show. Boo!

I wouldn't go so far as to say that 45 is robbery, but 45 is definitely more than I have ever paid to see Wilco, isadorah.

ETA: and when I say definitely, I mean, "i think" :lol

guess i've been going to some pricey wilco shows then. ah well. guess everything is relative. and people will always be upset with ticket prices.

--

U2 tickets for mid-tier seats in football stadiums for their upcoming tour are starting at $250, without fees, the service fee was $29.50, plus an additional venue fee of $8.00.

and buying from scalpers is robbery. :)

And to top it all off you have to see Jimmy Buffet.

Live Nation offered me a free ticket to see Jimmy Buffet as an apology for their screw up with the monsooned Radiohead concert. That was no apology, that was an insult. :stunned

on ticket price topic, an interesting article in the washington post about, well concert ticket prices:

concert ticket price article

and i like that there's an ad for the new wilco DVD nested in this.

Live Nation offered me a free ticket to see Jimmy Buffet as an apology for their screw up with the monsooned Radiohead concert. That was no apology, that was an insult. :stunned

on ticket price topic, an interesting article in the washington post about, well concert ticket prices:

concert ticket price article

and i like that there's an ad for the new wilco DVD nested in this.

You mean the Radiohead at Nissan Pavilion concert?

I was at that show. It was intense for everyone on the lawn.

This is just a thought/suggestion, but perhaps it might help.

The last time Wilco came to Tampa, Florida was 2005 :dontgetit

It was at Carol Morasani Hall at the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center.

As my wife was trying to buy tickets for the show, she discovered that she could buy them directly from the venue itself and get a choice preference for seating if she bought a patron/membership at the Center.

The cheapest one was an annual membership of $50.

We got our choice of seats - second row in the center!

The cost of the tickets were $25 a piece and all of this was done online in a matter of minutes.

Of course once everyone got up out of their seats to rush to the stage, it was quite easy (even for a fat old fool like me) to get right up front.

OK, so it cost me $100 for two tickets total.

But for somone who has only been to about 30 concerts in his entire life, this was the coolest thing that ever happened to me.

Unforunately, the band was about 15-20 feet away from the stage edge, but Jeff did walk up to the edge and pick up an (empty) Jack Daniels bottle the drunk kid next to us placed on the stage.

To me the nice part was that half this money went to the Center itself and not Ticketmaster.

We had the membership for a year and although we never went to another concert there, well that was our choice.

I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Probably the least expensive concert I saw was Paul Westerberg (The Replacements) in 1994 for $15 a ticket.

That was a great deal for a fantatstic show, but I thought that having part of the cost of my Wilco ticket go to a venue rather than than Ticketmasters's pockets made me feel a whole lot better about what I spent.

My only problem is that I wish these guys would get back down here!

I'm Nel's age and I worry that either I'll die or that their touring demands will eventually push him into leaving the group.

I would so much like to see him play Impossible Germany live and in person before I die..

Hope this was good advice - there are some beautiful venues out there that Wilco plays at and deserve your support - and might help you get a cheaper ticket or a better seat!

It was intense for everyone on the lawn.

You're gonna stop the story there? I have a million questions after a statement like that.

You mean the Radiohead at Nissan Pavilion concert?

I was at that show. It was intense for everyone on the lawn.

Indeed, that was the show. and indeed it was intense for everyone on the lawn. well put.

not sure if any other words can be said about it to explain any further. there's a thread around here somewhere about that show.

I bought my Wilco tickets while sitting at my desk at work. Pretty convenient.

I love the online tickety buying experince, especially the older I get the less inclined I am to wait in line for hours just for the ticket. Arriving three hours before the doors open to secure an ideal spot still works -- although after Mccarren Park my knees hurt, my hips hurt, my feet hurt, my head hurt ...you get the picture. None the less, I will be at Duchess Stadium on July 18 @ 2 pm

Also - I've a regular 10 am meeting at work -- so occassionaly my co-workers will hear "GIVE ME FIVE MINUTES" -- and they either get a happy or sad Barb, depending on my seat. .

The last time I ordered tickets through TM, I opted to print my ticket, rather than wait for it in the mail.

There was a fee for it, around $3 a ticket I think, but still.

Ridiculous.

This charge is one the i never understood. Let's review... i have to use my own paper, ink and hardware and i am charged extra? But it's free if they mail me my tickets? I still have yet to figure out why anyone would print their own tickets. If they don't show up in time for the gig all you have to do is go to will call and they will print you a new set at no charge.

Questions such as....

Intense is the word my roommate and I agreed would forever be used to describe that concert. It fits.

I've been to many intense shows, just none that were intense for people on the lawn and not intense for the people inside. Too much Miracle Gro making people trip?

I've been to many intense shows, just none that were intense for people on the lawn and not intense for the people inside. Too much Miracle Gro making people trip?

7 inches of rain fell in less than 5 hours that night; the concert happened to be during the very same time as the 7 inches of rain. You really had to be there. There is no other way to describe it.

7 inches of rain fell in less than 5 hours that night; the concert happened to be during the very same time as the 7 inches of rain. You really had to be there. There is no other way to describe it.

That about sums it up.

Every surrounding county was flooded during and after that concert. The lawn was a swamp from the time gates opened. It was awful. The rain soaked through my umbrella, rendering it completely useless.

It truly was an experience that cannot be done justice with words. Intense is all I can say. And, proud to say, I made it through the whole show. And the worst part was, I live about a mile from Nissan Pavilion, and it took almost two hours to get home, since the main road out of Nissan was completely flooded. Such an interesting concert experience.