Download Woody Guthrie's "The Jolly Banker!!!"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good song - hell, I gave 'em five bucks!

who knows. billy bragg did say that he would do a third. and wilco said there are enough tracks to do a third.

with the way our country is now, crummy economy, fighting a war(s), we seem to have much more in common with Guthrie's generation than any generation since. i think now would be the perfect time to do a Mermaid Avenue III.

yeah, the lyrics are timely and relevant.... but I'm not really diggin' the music too much.

I think the lyrics are supposed to be in the forefront on this one. That being said I like the whole package. Wasn't expecting much more than what I got. Nice addition to the catalog. Woody is the man.

I really really like it. It has a warm familiarity to it, something that Wilco has always done so well. And Guthrie lives on!

Also, (I'm sorry in advance) the Feist mention of her playing a Garden Weasel (hmmm) forces me to recount upon you all the joke about Edward Scissorhands and his poor twin brother, Edward Gardenweaselfeet.

That's all, that's the entire joke.

Hey, I didn't say it was a good joke!

I never thought I'd say this about a Wilco song, but I really do not like this one :(

Well its not like Wilco wrote this. A lot of Guthries songs were simple folk fables, they aren't meant to overwhlem you musically. They are meant to repeat a message, and in this case I believe it succeeds.

Guest Speed Racer
I guess I like anything with Tweedy's voice on it. This song sounds great.

Ha, that's kind of my reaction.

I was a bit unimpressed with the song upon first listen (as I was with all the non-love/non-airline Woody Guthrie songs), but could NOT get this song out of my head on my run this morning. And it was a long run. Now I love it. :wub

It reminds me of an old Wilco song, maybe from MMA or MMA2 but I can't quite place it. I do like the song, it's very catchy.

What are you folks putting in for the album name when you import it to iTunes (or whichever music library software you're using)?

I have an album for miscellaneous stuff for all the bands I like where such things exist. In Wilco's case...songs like this belong to the album "Random Wilco Shit"

It's a very advanced system, I'll admit. But it gets the job done.