I wanted to post this info about a free Ritter concert in NYC, but I could not find an official Ritter thread, just scattered ones about his last album.

http://www.joshritter.com/news.php?nid=193

Should be a great show, I wanted to make it to NYC at least once this summer, so now I can bundle that trip with a free concert. I have no clue who the surprise guests are, but I'm praying for Bruce to show up and do a duet of The River. I know I'm lying to myself if I think that would happen, but maybe :thumbup

I interviewed him over the phone last spring, and he's one of the most genuine, appreciative, kind people I've ever talked to. After I'd finished my questions, I asked him a pretty specific one about a mystery song he'd played here at a show 4 years ago, which I enjoyed, and it was like that was the wildest thing he'd heard in his life. He kept thanking me and telling me I should come say hi after the upcoming show, which I did, and he remembered our chat, and at the end of the conversation he shook my hand and hugged me.

He's also of course a tremendous songwriter.

P.S. And he said he's working on a novel!

The Animal Years was my favorite album that year 2006? Anyway, and I thought The Conquests was really cool. Super underrated, most likely because he doesn't carry on like a petulant rock star.

Guest Speed Racer
He's easily one of my favorite 'modern' songwriters, I hope to see him live one day.

I got to see him play solo in a room of about 25 people in January 2005. I had the opportunity to spend the month at an amazing retreat in the Cascade mountains, and Josh was there fore about two weeks, taking a break from tour before recording Animal Years. There were about 30-35 people in the village at the time, and while he told us he was a songwriter, we kind of thought he meant that in the bullshit way that everyone's a poet, you know?

So we went snowshoeing and generally hung out, and he was just a gentleman to everyone; one of the kindest, most enthusiastic people I have ever met. He read and discussed short stories with us, and occasionally sat around figuring out some stuff on guitar (a friend who was there pointed out later that he was working on 'Thin Blue Flame'). Every night, some of the older men in the place would hang out and play bluegrass. Josh would run and get his guitar and he was like a kid on Christmas morning. He would kind of hang out in the back and play just a bit, really just watching them and having a blast. And we still didn't know who he was!

One of his last nights there, it was announced that he would be playing a concert. They put his press kit bio up on one of the bulletin boards. Before I had a chance to read it, I asked him where he was going when he left, and he said, "Oh, to record my next album." I asked where, he said, "Peter Gabriel's studio." By the time I read the bio (huge in Ireland, regularly tours with the Frames, etc.), I was simply astounded at how low-key he had been that whole time given his apparent talent and snappy resume.

The concert was one of the best experiences of my life so far. He opened with 'Girl in the War,' told us the story behind 'Kathleen,' and just had so damned much fun. Of all the concerts I've been to, I can't remember one that held my attention more. I think he was easily the happiest person in the room, and that's saying a LOT. He could have rapped off-key for two hours and we would have loved it, given his infectious spirit. He's a truly gifted musician, and just an amazing, kind, loving person.

wow, both those stories are pretty awesome. I've seen a few interview clips and he came off as a REALLY genuine person. He said something interesting about his songwriting, how he doesnt like to be a moody, struggling artist on stage. He said he saves all that for when he is writing the songs, so he can just have fun being a performer, very nice approach!

Should be a great show, I wanted to make it to NYC at least once this summer, so now I can bundle that trip with a free concert. I have no clue who the surprise guests are, but I'm praying for Bruce to show up and do a duet of The River. I know I'm lying to myself if I think that would happen, but maybe :thumbup

At the risk of being a crap-head bubble-burster, Bruce is playing Bonnaroo that weekend so not likely to happen.

On the other hand, the stories above are absolutely authentic. Seeing Josh at a venue here called the Black Sheep Inn was total magic. He is a spellbinding, joyous performer. I'm waiting for some shows in this area 'cause it's been a couple of years now and I'm due. Have a great trip.

At the risk of being a crap-head bubble-burster, Bruce is playing Bonnaroo that weekend so not likely to happen.

On the other hand, the stories above are absolutely authentic. Seeing Josh at a venue here called the Black Sheep Inn was total magic. He is a spellbinding, joyous performer. I'm waiting for some shows in this area 'cause it's been a couple of years now and I'm due. Have a great trip.

You are indeed a crap-head bubble-burster, but its all good!

I'm not sure of your road trip ambitions, but Josh is playing a few stops in Canada later in the summer (Montreal and somewhere else).

Also, on the topic of The River, http://www.joshritter.com/news.php?nid=190 download it here, its good stuff. That cover has gotten me back on a Springsteen kick.

Good luck with your Poutine!

Guest Hollinger.

Big fan, I had to choose between him and the Avetts on the same night last year. Went with the Avetts. Don't regret it, though I'd still like to see Josh.

Guest Speed Racer
God damnit, don't try to make me regret not going to the Mews. Avetts were awesome, damnit.

Way to blow your one shot at true happiness, man.

Love teh Josh! Seen him 3 or 4 times as well and met him in a bar in Galway during a weekday and he chatted with us and had coffee and was just down to earth greatness. The wimmins swoon over him too but he makes such good music that I can forgive that! :lol

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...