Wilco (the lyrics)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hollinger.

Yeah, that's what I thought it was. To me the song is about "Hey if you're having a shitty day, come put on this Wilco album and shit will be better."

Yeah, you're right on the meaning. I was just comparing "aural arms" to "sonic shoulder." But listening to another version from much earlier (Madison, 11/1/08), that sounds much more like "hour of our". Or something with more syllables than aural. Hmmmmm.

I just got one of the other lines too, listening to another version:

Tired of being exposed to the cold

stare of your stereo

It's a complete sentence. Also,

There's so many wars that just can't be won

Even before the battle's begun

Yeah, you're right on the meaning. I was just comparing "aural arms" to "sonic shoulder." But listening to another version from much earlier (Madison, 11/1/08), that sounds much more like "hour of our". Or something with more syllables than aural. Hmmmmm.

I just got one of the other lines too, listening to another version:

Tired of being exposed to the cold

stare of your stereo

It's a complete sentence. Also,

There's so many wars that just can't be won

Even before the battle's begun

Yea, I pointed this one out earlier in this thread. That's how I always heard that line. I assumed it's just a "we do more for you than most bands you listen to" type thing.

Yea, I pointed this one out earlier in this thread. That's how I always heard that line. I assumed it's just a "we do more for you than most bands you listen to" type thing.

Ah, I see that now. Sorry, it's hard to keep track of the suggestions if they're not changed in the original posts. (Hollinger.) (:lol :cheekkiss )

Excellent, Brianne! That does make sense, read as an ongoing sentence! :thumbup

As for the "aural" thing, it was listening to the colbert show version that convinced me...and Jeff does sometimes stretch out a syllable when necessary to fit the meter.

Remember Nick Lowe circa "Jesus of Cool" ("Pure Pop for Now People", in the U.S.) when he referred to belonging to the Church of Aural Sects? (say it out loud) :lol

aural/sonic is a closer connection than hour/42 minutes. How long do they think it takes to turn a record over? :lol

Well, first you have to think about getting up, then have a fight with yourself about getting up, then get up, then take a leak, then get a beer, sit down, remember why you got up in the first place, have ANOTHER fight with yourself about getting up, then actually get up and flip the record over. Estimated time = 18 minutes.

Ok, I fixed up all the lyrics, and moved them all to a single post, so the thread wasn't so cluttered.

Thanks for all your work on this! :worship

Aaaand a couple more things. First, I'm pretty sure the line in I'll Fight is "a hymnal" not "at hymnal." A hymnal is something you would hold.

Also, another question. In this verse from You Never Know:

There's a lone

Heavy hell

Synthesized about and

I don't care anymore

I don't care anymore

What is the middle line? Anybody? I can't tell, but I'm betting it isn't "synthesized about and."

By the way, nice job ryan7739!

Also, I heard "gold" rather than "goal." I'll have to listen again to see, but I was pretty sure? I'm half deaf, so who the hell knows what kind of source I am.

I hear "goal," but I'm annoying like that. I do think "goal" works well with the rest of the line: "The goal as I was told was a place where my body could be laid."

Also, another question. In this verse from You Never Know:

There's a lone

Heavy hell

Synthesized about and

I don't care anymore

I don't care anymore

What is the middle line? Anybody? I can't tell, but I'm betting it isn't "synthesized about and."

Isn't he saying long, heavy hell?

The other line:

"Super-size it by 10"?

Found that elsewhere, and now I can hear it.

That whole verse in I'll Fight has a lot of things I'm not sure about. I need another listen to it live. Can't believe I squandered an "opportunity" so recently in Milwaukee because I didn't know the song well at that point. However, I'm betting there will be more chances.

Super-size it by 10 does seem to work better. Still doesn't make a lot of sense to me, though. Also, "long, heavy hell," I could see that.

If I were at all musical I'm sure I would be all over the tabs forum. As it is, I'm here. Sorry.

It's definitely long, heavy hell, but I think we're still way off base on the next line...I don't think it's either of the lines that have been suggested. The previous line refers to hell, and I think I'm hearing the word "souls" in that next line, though I'll be damned (little pun there) if I can quite think it through.

I love this code-breaking stage of hearing a new album! :)

I know this isn't it, because it doesn't quite sync, but now I'm hearing something like,

Sit (or suit?) the souls of our town. But then other times it doesn't sound like "souls", so, I dunno.

Yep, totally nonsensical. You got a better idea? (I do, it's called "Somebody ask Jeff!")

Alissa's just suggested a possibility...that the "s" sound beginning that line is Jeff sort of slurring together "That's in" the souls of our town...so that it sounds like: " 's in the souls of our town"

I dunno, I'm probably so barking up the wrong tree here...it's probably not even a real tree, it's probably one of those badly-disguised cell phone towers...