my sweet lord You never KNow

The guitar riff that everyone is talking about - did George Harrison or Eric Clapton actually play this on the album?

I know Clapton played that piece on the live version of this song on the Concert For Bangaladesh album.

BTW, does anyone notice similarities between the opening chords played on the piano for this song and Nils Lofgren's "We All Sung Together"? I believe Lofgren's group was called Grin if anyone wants to look for the song.

OMG, I just looked this up on Wikipedia and discovered that the song I'm referring to is on an album whose title is the same as the name of the group! Remarkable coincidence or have I discovered an evil conspiracy? :)

...I think I am going to shoot myself. You know, they sure do you a, an and the a lot in their songs. They are ripping of the English language to boot.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

93XRT interview at bonnaroo where nels discusses the "you never know"/george harrison topic. he says it was a very intentional "homage".

skip to about 6:30 if you dont want to watch the rest.

Well it is obviously an homage.

And, it led me to start listening to the rest of the incredible "All Things Must Pass," which I'd never really listened to before.

Result: George is my new favorite Beatle.

So, thanks Wilco. Again.

And, it led me to start listening to the rest of the incredible "All Things Must Pass," which I'd never really listened to before.

So, thanks Wilco. Again.

Seconded! 'Twas the acoustic While My Guitar Gently Weeps on Anthology that turned my ears to more of George's stuff.

So, thanks Wilco. Again.

If you can find "All Things Must Pass" in a good condition, original vinyl then you are in for a real treat!

I think this was the most expensive purchase I made in 1970 at the age of 14.

There were actually 3 records that were presented in a box.

The slip covers even had original art.

There were SO MANY good songs on this album: I'd Have You Anytime, If Not For You (Bob Dylan cover), Awaiting On You All, I Dig Love, Art Of Dying, What Is Life, Beware Of Darkness... and those were just the "ear candy" songs.

The third album was called "Apple Jam" which was exactly that: 4 jams and one song quick birthday song to (I think) to John Lennon. Actually my favorite part of that third disc was a quick cut from "It's Johnny's Birthday" to "Plug Me In". Even though there are many familar riffs in these, jams like those are a lost art. I'm probably not telling most of the people on this board about anything they haven't heard before, but if you have not heard this album, find it - you will not be sorry.

If you can find "All Things Must Pass" in a good condition, original vinyl then you are in for a real treat!

I think this was the most expensive purchase I made in 1970 at the age of 14.

I was shocked at how different some of the CD remixes sound compared to the original vinyl actually....

Finding a copy of this on vinyl is actually pretty easy, it sold very well at the time.

Not only do I hear My Sweet Lord, which is pretty obvious (but if I said this before stop me..)it also has 96 Tears in it too....

LouieB

• 4 weeks later...

When I first heard You Never Know from the new release it sounded vaguely familiar. I was taken by the rhythm guitar progressions, then upon hearing the electric lead "licks" it immediately dawned on me that the song sounded a lot like My Sweet Lord by George Harrison. I was just curious if anyone else caught the resemblance and if it were by design when recorded? I am a relatively newbie to Wilco and have fallen in love with their music, especially after seeing them live at the Tennessee theatre in the recent past-wearing out the "Ashes" dvd... anyway, just hoping for some feedback on this topic.

I posted the initial topic only for opinions as to the similarity here. never intended to open up a who ripped who off session, as one of the respondee's is correct in that there are similarities in many many songs and genres of music. just that I was taken by the similarities and although not a note for note comparison, wondered if the band intentionally made the sound that way. sorry to ruin anyone's feeling for the song or what have you, but I guess If I ever get a chance to speak to a member of the band, would simply like to ask about it.

Just saw the response from conezone=thank you very much, I will check that out. pretty awesome group we have here.

Guest Jules

I posted the initial topic only for opinions as to the similarity here. never intended to open up a who ripped who off session, as one of the respondee's is correct in that there are similarities in many many songs and genres of music. just that I was taken by the similarities and although not a note for note comparison, wondered if the band intentionally made the sound that way. sorry to ruin anyone's feeling for the song or what have you, but I guess If I ever get a chance to speak to a member of the band, would simply like to ask about it.

Just saw the response from conezone=thank you very much, I will check that out. pretty awesome group we have here.

Peter, the last 3 pages were from a different/similar thread. When you opened your thread, the mods combined it with the old one.

You Never Know sounds as much like an homage to Jeff Lynne as it is to Harrison himself.

If you've never seen the Concert for George DVD it is a gem. Clapton, Petty, Lynne, McCartney, Star and host of others doing his songs....highly recommend it

Peter, the last 3 pages were from a different/similar thread. When you opened your thread, the mods combined it with the old one.

Thanks, yes I realized that after scrolling through and seeing that a similar discussion ensued back in May. my first day here...

According to Jeff, in a radio interview linked off of wilcoworld.net, it's intentional. Nels tried a number of things there, but the band loves George Harrison, and whenever Nels played that, everyone else in the band smiled so they stuck with it. Similarly, he tried a number of things less narcississtic than "Wilco love you baby," like "Let go, love you baby," but "Wilco's" the one that made everyone smile so they went with it.

I did not notice a direct similarity to any specific songs but I did notice that some of Nels slide-guitar work sounds a lot like George. Which, needless to say, I really like.