my sweet lord You never KNow

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare. I don't think so.

The little three-note riff, yes.

It is nod to him and nothing more. I mean it really isn't that close in terms of the song itself. We are talking about a slide guitar part that sounds similar in tone. Sometimes I think we are little too involved here. I know I'm going to dodge about 1000 tomatoes for this but, we all become mr. rock critic or mr. musician everytime we analyze this band. I think we should all just listen to the record and enjoy our freaking selves. :ohwell

I hear Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road in this album, yes. Again though, just nods like nodep said. Production flourishes that are probably George Martin more than Harrison credits. I hear all kinds of other influences too. So does that mean the whole record is a big freakin ripoff?? LOL

All artists borrow from other artists, its not something bad. Anyway, I heard this song on WFNX in Boston last night.

WHICH song exactly?!?

You Never Know

Suh-weet...I'll have to keep an ear out! What number is that station?

EDIT. Never mind. I looked it up :thumbup

I assume it is more in tribute form. But even my wife heard it from another room and came back and asked what song that was and I said the new wilco song and she said it sounded like My Sweet Lord. If you listen to song closely it has a similar timing etc.

With this said I thought Incredible Germany was more a tribute to Duane Allman and Dickey Betts with the slide guitar sounds....

U2 new album has a song that has beatle tune in it as well. hard not to include them into your sound. Radiohed In Rainbows had song with Blackbird all over it.....

Nothing wrong with it but is fun to notice hearing similarities in music. It would be fun to ask BOno or Jeff or Eno if they delibertly try to sound like another band as tribute or if there are no more original chords left so you got to re use them.........

:pirate

Guest Alan
It is nod to him and nothing more. I mean it really isn't that close in terms of the song itself. We are talking about a slide guitar part that sounds similar in tone.

it's more than the tone. it's the same notes, in the same key. and the harmonies are identical as well. i don't know where you draw the line between nod and lift but george harrison's estate has a case here if they want it.

i love my sweet lord (listened to it hundreds of times) and didn't really notice any similarities to "you never know" when i was listening to the new album the first few times. just re-listened to both and don't really see what people are complaining about - maybe the chorus part with the piano is somewhat similar but the rest of the song is completely different. that little slide guitar riff sounds similar to harrison's song but that isn't enough to consider plagiarism. in any case i'd say any similarities are completely unintentional - wilco is not green day (kings of plagiarizing without crediting).

we are to assume that Wilco (a band who has a vast understanding of music history and a fan base with an equal understanding of music history) is going to rip off one of the Beatles in a completly overt fashion.

I don't buy this, and I really don't think it is that close or similar.

With this said I thought Incredible Germany was more a tribute to Duane Allman and Dickey Betts with the slide guitar sounds....

U2 new album has a song that has beatle tune in it as well. hard not to include them into your sound. Radiohed In Rainbows had song with Blackbird all over it.....

Incredible Germany? Maybe you should think about changing your screen name to badwilcofan :lol

There may be a bit of a Beatles influence in You Never Know and in a few spots on No Line On the Horizon, but I really think you're stretching it. I guess if you try hard enough, you can hear anything in a song that you want to, but I highly doubt Wilco, U2, and Radiohead all knocked off the Beatles :rolleyes