my sweet lord You never KNow

The only music plagiarism I've ever accused Wilco of was copying sections of Big Star's In the Street and pasting them into Box Full of Letters.

It's the section starting with "can't find the time to write my mind the way I want it to read." through "you'll come back again, and I'll still be your friend"

(the music, not the lyrics)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Alan
I wouldn't have picked up on any MSL similarities if it wasn't brought up. It's a pretty big stretch if you ask me, with some imagination you can find similarities in anything.

you must have terrible ears.

we are to assume that Wilco (a band who has a vast understanding of music history and a fan base with an equal understanding of music history) is going to rip off one of the Beatles in a completly overt fashion.

I don't buy this, and I really don't think it is that close or similar.

I don't think that anyone has accused them of doing it intentionally.

I don't think that anyone has accused them of doing it intentionally.

I would say it's intentional. I think Harrison/the Beatles were a pretty big influence on this album, so Jeff/whoever gave a little nod to George in the song. Not a full on case of plagiarism, but just a little conscious tip of the hat.

A guy like Jeff wouldn't be able to accidently rip off a Beatles song. The guy knows music too well for that.

The only music plagiarism I've ever accused Wilco of was copying sections of Big Star's In the Street and pasting them into Box Full of Letters.

It's the section starting with "can't find the time to write my mind the way I want it to read." through "you'll come back again, and I'll still be your friend"

(the music, not the lyrics)

The only music plagiarism I've ever accused Wilco of was copying the theme from Sesame Street for "Outtamind (Outta Site).

(the music, not the lyrics -- imagine messed up kids singing "Outtamind (Outta Site)" to the Sesame Street theme. It's like an anti-Barney song).

:thumbup So is this a knock off of My Sweet Lord by George Harrison. Sounds like his guitar sound throughout..........

Hardly a 'knockoff'. A portion of a guitar phrase paying tribute. Are we REALLY going to nitpick this wonderful album? REALLY?

Here's what I think, while playing/recording it was noted that Hey! The backing vocals and harmonies sound a lot like MSL, let's take it a step further!

Nels play that one part!

Laughter ensues, high-fives are had, etc. etc....

Actually, chord-wise, it sounds like My Sweet Lord upside down. If you break up most of their songs -- or most songs for that matter -- you'll find snippets of other songs, other artists, passages, runs, figures, leads from other songs. A mosaic of experienced music because that's where the artist is coming from and that's where the listener's coming from. You recognize something that's similiar based on your experience. Simple scales, a limited range of instruments, millions of artists over the years. You do what you can do.

I would say it's intentional. I think Harrison/the Beatles were a pretty big influence on this album..

Well they changed the view in the Loft, but when you could see the mixing console, there were pictures of George, Paul John and Ringo.

I was gonna screen grab it, but it's gone now. :dontgetit

No doubt we all feel confined by having to use the same 12 notes but that doesn't mean everything sounds the same unintentionally at some point. However if that's the reasoning for the so called similarity of MSL and YNK it's fair to say one bar of a descending slide lick shouldn't be considered the unique musical property of Eric Clapton, George, or who ever played it on the MSL, no matter how familiar it sounds. As for the rest of YNK I can't hear it, maybe it's close to the same tempo and the pendulum strumming of the backing acoustic is somewhat similar but I don't think either is unique to MSL and it ends there. If anything the song sounds closer to Petty's Jammin' Me but even that's a stretch.

I did not think of Harrison's song when I heard You Never Know the first time until around 2.58 when the slide comes in and I kept thinking - is that like a Harrison slide swipe or a homage to 70s-era Gerry Rafferty-styled rock? To me, there seem to be a lot of embellishments throughout that can be throwbacks to other eras, including the rumbling piano on Country Disappeared which reminded me of Watching the Wheels.

It just struck me (being the die hard, but slow thinking Wilco fan I am) afterall Jeff wrote a song called Someone Elses Song where he basically addresses this whole issue we are arguing here.

I can't believe it took us this long!

It just struck me (being the die hard, but slow thinking Wilco fan I am) afterall Jeff wrote a song called Someone Elses Song where he basically addresses this whole issue we are arguing here.

I can't believe it took us this long!

It is funny how everyone took my topic as a put down vs a comparison. Music is music and it might have sounds familar to other artist songs etc........ I just like keeping my ears sharp.... Radioheads In Rainbows Faust Arp has to be a tribute to Blackbird as it is so similar.

but it is just my opinion..... But u are right SOmeone elses song sums it up very well........

:pirate

• 1 month later...

Does anyone else notice the glaring similarities between these two tunes? Like the chord changes during the chorus? And the guitar lines/tones?

Who produced the album? I would have thinked they would have said "Uh, let's put somethign else in there than the parallel diminished arpegio lead guitar break that is oh so Harrison....)

Chris

:thumbup No worries! I'm sure there are still plenty of people around who'd be willing to discuss this some more.

Like me! :)

I heard it straight off and saw it as a doffing of the cap...I'm by no means an authortative voice on such matters but I do think you can tell when something's ripped off or is done as a nod...

Listen to Sleepy Jackson's 'Good Dancers' and you'll get the same vibe. In fact, listen to their/his 'Lovers' album...full of nicks & nods. In a good way......to my ears at least!

The guitar riff that everyone is talking about - did George Harrison or Eric Clapton actually play this on the album?

I know Clapton played that piece on the live version of this song on the Concert For Bangaladesh album.

BTW, does anyone notice similarities between the opening chords played on the piano for this song and Nils Lofgren's "We All Sung Together"? I believe Lofgren's group was called Grin if anyone wants to look for the song.

OMG, I just looked this up on Wikipedia and discovered that the song I'm referring to is on an album whose title is the same as the name of the group! Remarkable coincidence or have I discovered an evil conspiracy? :)