Bull Black Nova

I haven't been really able to 'get into' BBN. There...I said it. :mellow

I don't have favorites on WTA at this point, I like all the songs. The 'strongest' songs to me seem to be One Wing and Everlasting, so far. They're very unique.

OK, having said the above.... I DO recognize that live Wilco and studio Wilco are very different animals. And I can clearly see how BBN looks like the best platform for a live wigout fest. I really look forward to hearing them play it in July at Lewiston. (and watching my SO's reaction :D )

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a shitty week for me - apart from the leak. My brain is already fried on overload, I'm burned out and I have to work again this weekend.

I LIKE BBN, I'm just not in love with it..yet. It's a little frantic. Not even the freakout so much as the speed beat guitar line. At this very moment I'm not much in the mood for nightmares or murder ballads, and this didn't hit me well on first listens like the other angsters did (Radio Cure, Via Chicago).

FWIW, I've never gotten much into Marquee Moon, either.

I'm not worried about it. Wilco haven't created that many studio masterpieces, but they've taken tons of great songs and made them live classics. I expect that for BBN.

I now pretty much subscribe to the theory that this is a musical panic attack. Listen at about the 2:30 mark... the percussion is perfectly OK, then suddenly it begins to go all jangly and out of order, like what happens to one's heartbeat during a panic attack. Then the song keeps building until about the 4:30 mark where it is all confusion and freak out. This song is genius.

Maybe he thinks that The Edge from U2 now plays in Wilco.......................

If you listen to "Where the Streets Have No Name" backwards it tells you where the wilco loft is.

I'm not worried about it. Wilco haven't created that many studio masterpieces, but they've taken tons of great songs and made them live classics. I expect that for BBN.

WHATTTT!?!!?!?!?!

To me Wilco is great live, but I mean come on. 99% of the reason I love Wilco is that their records blow me away. I really don't care about live shows that much. My favorite band is The Beatles who were mediocre live. One of my top 5 artists is David Bowie, who sucked live.

Wilco's studio work is amazing. Even if they were a terrible live band, it wouldn't ruin the records for me.

WHATTTT!?!!?!?!?!

To me Wilco is great live, but I mean come on. 99% of the reason I love Wilco is that their records blow me away. I really don't care about live shows that much. My favorite band is The Beatles who were mediocre live. One of my top 5 artists is David Bowie, who sucked live.

Wilco's studio work is amazing. Even if they were a terrible live band, it wouldn't ruin the records for me.

I love the albums (all of them). All I meant is there aren't that many Wilco studio tracks that are "definitive" for me, i.e. where a great live version didn't better it. Tie this to my comment on BBN, an interesting song that I think will be a lot more interesting in concert.

I'm so misunderstood...

I love the albums (all of them). All I meant is there aren't that many Wilco studio tracks that are "definitive" for me, i.e. where a great live version didn't better it. Tie this to my comment on BBN, an interesting song that I think will be a lot more interesting in concert.

I'm so misunderstood...

Ooooooooooooh yeah.

A.M., most of Being There, AGIB, and SBS all sound better to me live. If the current lineup rerecorded A.M., I'd probably listen to it like 5 times as much.

Summerteeth and YHF I think I tend more towards the studio versions, but still love the live versions.

My favorite band is The Beatles who were mediocre live.

Maybe you're referring to the effects of Beatlemania, which rendered the band deaf to the very sounds they were making. But The Beatles as a live act were far from mediocre.

I like the song a lot and can't wait to hear it live. I do wish that it was longer with jeff screaming pick up at the end a few more times ala misunderstood... maybe theyll do that live but who knows what they'll cook up for us...