Bull Black Nova

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the first time through the album, bull black nova did not lunge at me. then, my friend texted me and said, "bull black nova BEEEYAAATCHESSSS!!!" he is a trusted source, so i gave it another spin...

wow.

this is probably my favorite track, but only b/c it is gonna kick some major ass live. period.

thematically, from a lyrical standpoint, it reminds me of "hell is chrome." from a musical standpoint, it reminds me of "spiders." mayhap, this song is their lovechild?

i kid, but that brings up another thought i had: this [wilco (the album)] seems to me at least to be a very cumulative piece...as in, i can hear flashes of older wilco throughout the album, kinda like the flash i just mentioned. there is another moment that i hear s'thing from yhf, but i can't remember it right now...it is later on in the disc. i hear bells from st.

anybody else hear flashes from the past?

I like the song a lot and can't wait to hear it live. I do wish that it was longer with jeff screaming pick up at the end a few more times ala misunderstood... maybe theyll do that live but who knows what they'll cook up for us...

my thought exactly. A few more screams on the way home. Either way its a killer jam that should be a highlight this summer

I was also not blown away by this song the first couple of passes thru - I liked it a lot and thought it was very good, but couldn't really get why people were going ga-ga over it.

Then I listened to it cranked up very loud in a dark, dark room. Got my heart racing... the panicy vibe definitly took over and now I "get" it.

But I agree that it would have been even better if Jeff fully lost it at the end... he's almost there. Perhaps live we'll hear him let loose.

I would like to sit in this room with these men listening to Bull Black Nova:

414AEWP9NML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Me too, I'd actually love to hear an entire album of BBN type songs, perhaps with Eno, himself, producing. That might be one of the greatest hypothetical albums I've ever come up with.

--Mike

i think the comparisons are rather obvious.

Trouble always ensues when Jeff drives out of state? :pirate

Love it. Would be good opening-credits music for a film noir.

This song grows on me every time I hear it. The subject matter of the song is pretty disturbing, but the tone of parts of the song really make it disturbing. There's that one part in the middle where the percussion is slow, almost happy, and playful. It's almost like a guy just committed murder, is all freaked out and trying to dispose of the evidence when he looks around and realizes nothing around him has changed. The mundane things like a leaky faucet and creaky stairs are still there, and it's actually kind of a nice day out. Then he remembers that he just killed somebody and starts freaking out again...

It's the playful nonchalance that really gets me. At least Via Chicago was dreary throughout, and She's a Jar isn't very uplifting either.

Anyway, I think its a good song but I wish it went on longer at the end. I'm sure it will live and Nels Cline will kill it at the end.

Guest Speed Racer
This song grows on me every time I hear it. The subject matter of the song is pretty disturbing, but the tone of parts of the song really make it disturbing. There's that one part in the middle where the percussion is slow, almost happy, and playful. It's almost like a guy just committed murder, is all freaked out and trying to dispose of the evidence when he looks around and realizes nothing around him has changed. The mundane things like a leaky faucet and creaky stairs are still there, and it's actually kind of a nice day out. Then he remembers that he just killed somebody and starts freaking out again...

This is a really interesting read of the musicality of the song. At first I thought you were reading too much into it, but regardless I rather like your interpretation. :yes

This is a really interesting read of the musicality of the song. At first I thought you were reading too much into it, but regardless I rather like your interpretation. :yes

i know i'm reading too much into it, but it's interesting because the song is about him in his car and the pulsing throughout the song sounds like the sound a car makes when the door is open and keys are in the ignition. anyone notice that?

i'm sure it wasn't intentional, but i like it!