Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Bros

I would say the following three are great for starters:

Gram Parsons- GP/Grievous Angel (A two cd on one disc set)

The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo (There are many editions of this set)

Flying Burrito Brothers - Anthology (it has the two FBB w/ Gram, one without and a bunch of unreleased tracks)

All of these are rather inexpensive to purchase. I found them all for less than $10 apiece and are fairly easy to locate in my opinion, some you can buy brand new for even less than that, especially the Byrds and solo records.

• Like 1

I would go for the combo CD of the two Flying Burrito Brothers albums. Both are fantastic.

I also enjoy Sweetheart of the Rodeo and even the International Submarine Band, but I can't seem to get into Gram's solo work (again, I have the combo CD). I love one or two songs and find the rest that to be kinda boring.

• Like 1

Dunnright, that live show you mentioned getting from AD - is it from the Avalon in SF (April '69)? That was officially released as "Gram Parsons Archives Vol. 1". The sound quality is not stellar but I highly recommend the discs.

• Like 1

Also don't miss "Grievous Angel" easily one of the best rock and roll documentaries out there.

When I was out at Joshua Tree a few years back I drove past the motel he died in.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

Dunnright, that live show you mentioned getting from AD - is it from the Avalon in SF (April '69)? That was officially released as "Gram Parsons Archives Vol. 1". The sound quality is not stellar but I highly recommend the discs.

Here's a link to the show:

http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2008/12/05...mino-club-1969/

Palomino Club, North Hollywood, June '69.

• Like 1
I can't seem to get into Gram's solo work (again, I have the combo CD). I love one or two songs and find the rest that to be kinda boring.

wow, good to hear somebody else say this ... I've always felt this way but haven't heard anybody else admit it

it's like you're just supposed to foam at the mouth over his solo stuff, no questions asked

it's overrated

• Like 1

If you get the two solo albums on the one CD and a comprehensive collection of the Flying Burritto Brothers you should be set for a pretty long time. Then get Sweetheart of the Rodeo.

LouieB