Prog Rock (Old and New)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose that Iron Maiden could be considered some sort of prog-metal. And, pretty much one of the best bands ever, at that.

Fucking Piece of Mind or Number of the Beast: those are some records!

I'm getting into Gong and Camel, both of which I've been aware of for about 20 years but never really listened to. I get a kick out of some of it.

On Adrian Belew: I'm surprised he was with Crimson so long, as I have seen ads for him performing solo. Never really followed his career, though I do have his first two solo albums.

I'm getting into Gong and Camel, both of which I've been aware of for about 20 years but never really listened to. I get a kick out of some of it.

On Adrian Belew: I'm surprised he was with Crimson so long, as I have seen ads for him performing solo. Never really followed his career, though I do have his first two solo albums.

Twang Bar King is solid stuff. :thumbup

I'm into it quite a bit. My top 10 prog/proggish albums would be:

1. King Crimson – Red

2. Frank Zappa – Hot Rats

3. Genesis – Selling England By the Pound

4. Mahavishnu Orchestra – Inner Mounting Flame

5. Soft Machine -- Third

6. Yes – Close To The Edge

7. Can -- Ege Bamyasi

8. National Health -- Of Cues & Cures

9. King Crimson -- Larks Tongues in Aspic

10. Magma -- Hai/Live

Yes!

Although I would consider Belew's career (both solo and with the Bears) to be more "experimental pop" than "prog"; generally long on hooks and lacking many of the classical-type ponderous long-form song structures inherent in so much prog.

Lone Rhino is a good one too.

Lately he's been playing/touring with a couple kids from Paul Green's Scool of Rock. A brother-sister duo, if I'm not mistaken. I was pretty impressed by the youtube clips I saw.

Yes!

Although I would consider Belew's career (both solo and with the Bears) to be more "experimental pop" than "prog"; generally long on hooks and lacking many of the classical-type ponderous long-form song structures inherent in so much prog.

I loved the Bears. I was surprised they were not more popular in their day. Experimental but pretty accessible and catchy.

I loved the Bears. I was surprised they were not more popular in their day. Experimental but pretty accessible and catchy.

I never heard that album. Their album cover always makes me think of this guy:

danson.jpg

bears.jpg

God, I LOVE Discipline. What a fantastic change from the classic KC-style "prog". Obviously there's a Talking Heads influence, but much more 'refined' you might say.

Fripp himself has mentioned ITCOTCK and Discipline as the best KC records. Hard to argue.

Speaking of labeling bands, I always found it ammusing that Rush and Floyd were lumped in with 'heavy metal' bands. Kids at school would easily speak of them in the same sentence as Van Halen or Judas Priest without the slightest sense of irony. Even as a kid back in the mid-eighties I was astounded by that.

Speaking of labeling bands, I always found it ammusing that Rush and Floyd were lumped in with 'heavy metal' bands. Kids at school would easily speak of them in the same sentence as Van Halen or Judas Priest without the slightest sense of irony. Even as a kid back in the mid-eighties I was astounded by that.

Moving Pictures.

Moving Pictures made them well know. And due to that, they became included in the cannon of popular heavy bands. Of course, most of those bands were making albums that were more polished, and thus made them more likely to get their videos on MTV. Most people want their heavy rock without the rough edges I do believe.

I just saw this on another message board:

Red: September 21st 2009

The 1974 classic album that became an inspiration to a generation of musicians.

CD: Features the original album plus three extra tracks, stunning pre-overdub trio versions of Red & Fallen Angel and the full version of Providence.

DVD-A: Features the original album in Hi-Res Stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound editions, with the three additional tracks from the CD plus Journey to the Centre of the Cosmos also available in Hi-Res Stereo. The trio version of Fallen Angel and the full versions of Providence and Journey to the Centre of the Cosmos are also available in 5.1 Surround Sound.

Video footage: Rarely seen footage from French TV from 1974 featuring performances of Larks' Tongues in Aspic II, The Night Watch, Lament & Starless

In the Court of the Crimson King: October 12th 2009 (three editions)

The seminal debut album; one of the most innovative British rock albums of all time.

(KCSP 1 CD/DVD-A edition)

CD: Features entirely new 2009 stereo edition mixed from the original pre mix multi track tapes by Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp, plus bonus tracks including early versions of I Talk to the Wind, the backing track for Epitaph and the session that produce the opening wind effect for 21st Century Schizoid Man.

DVD-A: Features the original album in 5.1 Surround Sound. The 2004 master edition & the 2009 new mix also appear in Hi-Res Stereo, along with several bonus tracks from the original recording sessions.

Video Footage: Newly re-sequenced archive footage of 21st Century Schizoid Man from the legendary Hyde Park concert.

(DGM 5009 2CD edition)

CD1: as per above.

CD2: Features the 2004 master edition plus bonus tracks including the Morgan studios instrumental recording of 21st Century Schizoid Man, the John Peel Top Gear recording of I Talk to the Wind (not previously released on CD) and a transfer of the original single a/b side of The Court of the Crimson King.

(KCCBX 1 4CD/DVD-A Boxed set - Limited edition.)

Full details to be arranged.

Lizard: October 26th 2009

King Crimson's third album, a jazz-rock tour de force.

(KCSP3 CD/DVD-A edition)

CD: Features entirely new 2009 stereo edition mixed from the original pre mix multi track tapes by Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp plus three bonus tracks: Lady of the Dancing Water (alternate take), Bolero (alternative version originally from Frame by Frame) and a studio run through of Cirkus from the original recording sessions.

DVD-A: Features the original album in 5.1 Surround Sound. The 2004 master edition and the 2009 new album mix also appear in Hi-Res Stereo, along with the three bonus tracks from the CD.

• 2 years later...

You would think I bumped this thread because of the other thread on here about Lark-era King Crimson, but no... I am actually wondering about another proggy band that hadn't been mentioned on here: U.K.

How did I not discover these guys 30 years ago? John Wetton, Eddie Jobson, Allan Holdsworth, Bill Bruford, and later on, Terry Bozzio. Of course, I was familiar with Wetton from Crimson and Roxy, with Jobson from Roxy and Zappa, and with Bruford and Bozzio from Yes and Zappa, respectively.

I actually discovered them by way of some live material (see the thread on "stealing" downloads :rolleyes). I actually was more impressed with them live than with their studio output.

Any U.K. fans here?

As mentioned in the other thread I am really getting into King Crimson. An amazing band, especially Red. Their most recent output is really heavy.

I always give them a shout out but I really would recommend people check out modern Marillion. They have an new record out in September but recentish albums such as 'Brave', 'Marbles' and 'Afraid of Sunlight' are all really good. Their website is also a thing of beauty with plenty of downloads and merchadise.

You would think I bumped this thread because of the other thread on here about Lark-era King Crimson, but no... I am actually wondering about another proggy band that hadn't been mentioned on here: U.K.

How did I not discover these guys 30 years ago? John Wetton, Eddie Jobson, Allan Holdsworth, Bill Bruford, and later on, Terry Bozzio. Of course, I was familiar with Wetton from Crimson and Roxy, with Jobson from Roxy and Zappa, and with Bruford and Bozzio from Yes and Zappa, respectively.

I actually discovered them by way of some live material (see the thread on "stealing" downloads :rolleyes). I actually was more impressed with them live than with their studio output.

Any U.K. fans here?

I have both UK albums. I think I've only listened to them once each. The Bozzio one probably 12 or 13 years ago, and the Bruford one three years ago. I'll have to pull those out for another listen.

I haven't listened to very much prog lately, but I did play Rush Caress of Steel last week. I still think that album has some of their best prog moments.

I have both UK albums. I think I've only listened to them once each. The Bozzio one probably 12 or 13 years ago, and the Bruford one three years ago. I'll have to pull those out for another listen.

I haven't listened to very much prog lately, but I did play Rush Caress of Steel last week. I still think that album has some of their best prog moments.

i like those UK albums. first one is best. i always kind of saw them as the final death rattle of the classic era of prog. of course, bruford remained relevent with KC, but Wetton went onto Asia. Asia just put out an album called XXX. ;p

as far as new prog goes, i do like Dream Theater and The Flower Kings. a bit of cheese, but at this point, who cares.

btw-the new rush is a muddy mess of a mix.

i like those UK albums. first one is best. i always kind of saw them as the final death rattle of the classic era of prog.

Apparently, there is also a live U.K. album that was originally a bootleg, variously listed as Live In Boston or Live In America. The official versions must be out of print, because they're horribly overpriced on Amazon ($38.00 used for a single disc). Another good argument for seeking out downloads, but alas, that is a discussion for that other thread.

btw-the new rush is a muddy mess of a mix.

I assumed it would be. I've only heard one song, and it sounded like something that would have been on their last album. People have been saying this is their best album since Signals (which is not all that impressive of a compliment, really, although it is meant as a huge one). Rush's music used to be really fun, despite the dorkiness of it. The rhythms were upbeat and the music had wide stylistic range. When asked what other bands they liked, they used to always name great bands (in the '80s for instance, they cited XTC, Talking Heads and other new wave/post punk bands). Nowadays, they cite some real horseshit when asked what current bands they like. Frankly, it shows. Their music has become plodding, humourless and very much the same from one song to the next.

jff, well said. the one before this, snakes and arrows, at least had better mixing/mastering. there are some actually memorable songs on this new one, but i am utterly astounded at how bad it sounds. it's infuriating to tell you the truth. they really have taken a turn for the worst. they did used be more interesting and even in the 80s-90s they had some major key hooks. now it's a sonic nightmare :)

jff, well said. the one before this, snakes and arrows, at least had better mixing/mastering. there are some actually memorable songs on this new one, but i am utterly astounded at how bad it sounds. it's infuriating to tell you the truth. they really have taken a turn for the worst. they did used be more interesting and even in the 80s-90s they had some major key hooks. now it's a sonic nightmare :)

Major key hooks. That's a good observation that I hadn't considered. They should throw some of that back into their songs.