So does this mean we get more beatles stuff now?

Not trying to be an ass, condolences to the Jackson family, but it has been reported that MJ left McCartney the publishing to the beatles in his will.

So, since Paul now stands to make bagoodles(dictionary) of money, who thinks we are about to see more beatles releases in the near future? Let It Be DVD, more outtakes, etc.

I think he owned the rights to the songs, not the movies. The songs are still played and covered so I doubt we will see more songs than there already are, but I could be wrong.

LouieB

Not trying to be an ass, condolences to the Jackson family, but it has been reported that MJ left McCartney the publishing to the beatles in his will.

So, since Paul now stands to make bagoodles(dictionary) of money, who thinks we are about to see more beatles releases in the near future? Let It Be DVD, more outtakes, etc.

I suspect the battle over the estate will rage on for years and years. I have heard stories about his finances being a mess. Just the reprecussions of refunding tickets for 50 concerts and reconciling that against the cause of death is probably a billion dollar issue. And I think Sony already owns half the rights to the Beatles songs anyway.

Jackson lived like king but died awash in debt

AP

By RYAN NAKASHIMA and ALEX VEIGA, AP Business Writers Ryan Nakashima And Alex Veiga, Ap Business Writers – Fri Jun 26, 7:00 am ET

LOS ANGELES – Michael Jackson the singer was also Michael Jackson the billion-dollar business.

Yet after selling more than 61 million albums in the U.S. and having a decade-long attraction open at Disney theme parks, the "King of Pop" died Thursday at age 50 reportedly awash in about $400 million in debt, on the cusp of a final comeback after well over a decade of scandal.

The moonwalking pop star drove the growth of music videos, vaulting cable channel MTV into the popular mainstream after its launch in 1981. His 1982 hit "Thriller," still the second best-selling U.S. album of all time, spawned a John Landis-directed music video that MTV played every hour on the hour.

"The ratings were three or four times what they were normally every time the video came on," said Judy McGrath, the chairman and CEO of Viacom Inc.'s MTV Networks. "He was inextricably tied to the so-called MTV generation."

Five years later, "Bad" sold 22 million copies. In 1991, he signed a $65 million recording deal with Sony.

Jackson was so popular that The Walt Disney Co. hitched its wagon to his star in 1986, opening a 3-D movie at its parks called "Captain EO," executive produced by George Lucas and directed by Francis Ford Coppola. The last attraction in Paris closed 12 years later.

One of Jackson's shrewdest deals at the height of his fame in 1985 was the $47.5 million acquisition of ATV Music, which owned the copyright to songs written by the Beatles' John Lennon and Paul McCartney. The catalog provided Jackson a steady stream of income and the ability to afford a lavish lifestyle.

He bought the sprawling Neverland ranch in 1988 for $14.6 million, a fantasy-like 2,500-acre property nestled in the hills of Santa Barbara County's wine country.

But the bombshell hit in 1993 when he was accused of molesting a 13-year-old boy.

"That kind of represents the beginning of the walk down a tragic path, financially, emotionally, spiritually, psychologically, legally," said Michael Levine, his publicist at the time.

He settled with the boy's family, but other accounts of his alleged pedophilia began to emerge.

When he ran into further financial problems, he agreed to a deal with Sony in 1995 to merge ATV with Sony's library of songs and sold Sony music publishing rights for $95 million. Then in 2001, he used his half of the ATV assets as collateral to secure $200 million in loans from Bank of America.

As his financial problems continued, Jackson began to borrow large sums of money, according to a 2002 lawsuit by Union Finance & Investment Corp. that sought $12 million in unpaid fees and expenses.

In 2003, Jackson was arrested on charges that he molested another 13-year-old boy. The 2005 trial, which ultimately ended in an acquittal, brought to light more details of Jackson's strained finances.

One forensic accountant testified that the singer had an "ongoing cash crisis" and was spending $20 million to $30 million more per year than he earned.

In March of last year, the singer faced foreclosure on Neverland. He also repeatedly failed to make mortgage payments on a house in Los Angeles that had been used for years by his family.

In addition, Jackson was forced to defend himself against a slew of lawsuits in recent years, including a $7 million claim from Sheik Abdulla bin Hamad Al Khalifa, the second son of the king of Bahrain.

Memorabilia auctions were frequently announced but became the subject of legal wrangling and were often canceled.

Time and again, however, Jackson found a way to wring cash out of high-value assets, borrowing tens of millions at a time or leaning on wealthy friends for advice, if not for money.

Al Khalifa, 33, took Jackson under his wing after his acquittal, moving him to the small Gulf estate and showering him with money.

In his lawsuit, Al Khalifa claimed he gave Jackson millions of dollars to help shore up his finances, cut an album, write an autobiography and subsidize his lifestyle — including more than $300,000 for a "motivational guru." The lawsuit was settled last year for an undisclosed amount. Neither the album nor book was ever produced.

Another wealthy benefactor came to Jackson's aid last year as he faced the prospect of losing Neverland in a public auction.

Billionaire Thomas Barrack, chairman and CEO of Los Angeles-based real estate investment firm Colony Capital LLC, agreed to bail out the singer and set up a joint venture with Jackson that took ownership of the vast estate.

Barrack was unavailable for comment Thursday, but referred to the singer in a statement as a "gentle, talented and compassionate man."

A final piece of the financial jigsaw puzzle fell into place in March, when billionaire Philip Anschutz' concert promotion company AEG Live announced it would promote 50 shows in London's O2 arena. Tickets sold out, and the first show of the "This is It" tour was set for July 8.

Jackson, who has won 13 Grammys, hadn't toured since 1997. His last studio album, "Invincible," was released in 2001.

But the opening date was later postponed to July 13 and some shows moved back to March 2010, fueling speculation that Jackson was suffering from health ailments that could curtail his comeback bid.

His death, caused by cardiac arrest according to his brother Jermaine, raised the question whether an insurer would refund money to ticketholders. AEG Live did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Jackson was practicing for the concert in Los Angeles at the Staples Center with Kenny Ortega, a choreographer and director of the "High School Musical" movies, who has worked on previous Jackson videos like "Dangerous" in 1993.

"We had a 25-year friendship. This is all too much to comprehend," Ortega said in a statement. "This was the world's greatest performer and the world will miss him."

even if he still owns the rights to the songs, and left them to paul mccartney, it simply means that paul mccartney gets royalties from people covering the songs. the beatles have always owned the rights to their ACTUAL recordings, which has turned out to be a bad thing - cos they seem intent on doing nothing interesting with them. if michael jackson had owned the rights to the bealtes recordings we'd have had mono & stereo versions of the albums with bonus tracks and whatever else they'd have to offer, long ago - and the world would have been a better place.

oh, RIP Michael Jackson, by the way. You brought joy to so many lives, how will we go on without you? They say the good die young. But, . . . well, is 50 young? I don't know - it's a grey area, isn't it? - I guess the jury's out on that one.

i am guessing Paul getting the rights to the songs back means we won't be hearing a beatles song as the backdrop to a Nike ad ever again.

Paul getting the songs back puts the power of when, where, and how the songs are used with Paul. when Michael had the songs, there was little discretion to their use. I recall Paul expressing in an interview how pissed he was about it and not thrilled with Michael having the songs.

Didn't he also once own the publishing rights to some of Dylan's music? Or am I confused.

Lennon and McCartney own the writing rights which is probably half the total rights, so McCartney probably already gets 25% of the total royalties. Michael Jackson had the publishing rights, which again is probably 50%, and he sold half those rights to Sony, so Paul at best will be getting another 25% rights to the song. So now when you hear a Beatles song on the radio, your money will be going to 50% Paul, 25% Yoko, and 25% Sony. (Assuming its not a George song)

Could be and one of these guys also owned the Buddy Holly Catelogue as well.

LouieB

I think Paul owns the Buddy Holly songs.

From the LA Times:

Fate of Beatle songs, one of Jackson's most valued assets, up in the air

07:02 PM PT, Jun 25 2009

One of Michael Jackson's most valued assets was his 50% stake in Sony/ATV Music Publishing, which has more than 750,000 copyrights. They include many hit Beatles songs as well as songs by Bob Dylan, John Mayer, Lady Gaga and the Jonas Brothers.

The total catalog has been valued by some at more than $1 billion. Of course, given the challenges facing the music industry, that figure may be a little optimistic. Regardless, Sony Corp. no doubt would like to get its hands on the 50% it doesn't already own. Jackson's half was held in a trust, a person familiar with the situation said. Jackson still has considerable financial woes, and his beneficiaries may be required to sell off many of his assets, including the catalog, to clear the singer's debt.

-- Joe Flint

The way I always understood it was that MJ just got some of the $$$ from when Beatle Northern Songs songs were covered/played on radio/etc. He had no control over how the songs were used.

However, I'm all for a re-release of the Let It Be movie. Do it up, Sir Paul!

The way I always understood it was that MJ just got some of the $$$ from when Beatle Northern Songs songs were covered/played on radio/etc. He had no control over how the songs were used.

However, I'm all for a re-release of the Let It Be movie. Do it up, Sir Paul!

I think Paul vetoed that deal a while back.

Probably because he looks like a giant prick in that movie......... maybe. But it's the most video evidence we have of the Beatles in the studio. If only they had a camera crew for Revolver. :(

I gotta ask, except for a few handful of demos that might have been left off the Anthology series and plenty of alternate takes that probably are inferior to the finished released songs, what is left to release? Of all artists that were bootlegged back during the golden age of such stuff, the Beatles had precious little that wasn't released.

LouieB

I gotta ask, except for a few handful of demos that might have been left off the Anthology series and plenty of alternate takes that probably are inferior to the finished released songs, what is left to release? Of all artists that were bootlegged back during the golden age of such stuff, the Beatles had precious little that wasn't released.

LouieB

reasonably priced mono mixes - not in a boxset - and remixed stereo so that it doesn't sound shit, maybe?

reasonably priced mono mixes - not in a boxset - and remixed stereo so that it doesn't sound shit, maybe?

Unfortunately, the way they recorded all of the early stuff will not allow for stereo to work right. They only 3 track machines to begin with, and they would usually record bass drums and guitars to one track, which means you cannot adjust the levels or the panning for any individual instruments. thats why the stereo has vocals on one side and instruments on the other.

It is a little more complicated than that, but essentially it is not possible to have what we are used to from those early recordings.

Unfortunately, the way they recorded all of the early stuff will not allow for stereo to work right. They only 3 track machines to begin with, and they would usually record bass drums and guitars to one track, which means you cannot adjust the levels or the panning for any individual instruments. thats why the stereo has vocals on one side and instruments on the other.

It is a little more complicated than that, but essentially it is not possible to have what we are used to from those early recordings.

of course they bounced music down onto tracks, but i'd assume that they kept individual takes of everything too. maybe they don't, but i'd still imagine that they could remix the music to sound better. how did they do it for LOVE otherwise? and it's already been noted in the other beatles thread that the computer game has stereo remixes (apparently they had to do it for the computer game, because the tracks had to be seperated for the game to work), which have the drums in the middle and a much better balanced stereo sound. have a watch of this and you'll see what i mean - beatles rock band trailer this isn't going to be the case for the cd's.

Isn't that is what's coming out in September? Why do you think they will sound like shit? That Love CD sounded amazing!

the music on LOVE was allowed to be remixed, this is just going to be a direct transfer from the master tapes - which means the sound of the music on LOVE (whilst it was bad what they did with it) will sound better than these new ones. it will be a massive improvement on the sound from the 1980s cd versions, but i'd imagine they could still do it better if they had the mind to do so.