Can We Do A Mixtape trade?

I didn't end up with the "newer stuff" mix as suggested as I didn't have all the CDs handy that I wanted to use. Instead, I went on a detour into 60s-70s Rock, Soul, Folk, Country, Baroque Pop, and Cabaret. Despite the various genres I think everything sits well together and has a pretty good flow. I hope y'all like it.

Outsiders, Eccentrics, Fringe Dwellers and Cult Legends

01. Jim Ford - Harlan County (1969)

02. Arthur Russell - I Couldn't Say It to Your Face (197?)

03. Karen Dalton - Something on Your Mind (1971)

04. Rodriguez - Crucify Your Mind (1970)

05. Linisfarne - We Can Swing Together (1970)

06. Funkadelic - Can You Get to That (1971)

07. Lee Hazlewood - Dark in My Heart (1967)

08. Terry Callier - Lean on Me (1972)

09. Camille Yarbrough - Take Yo' Praise (1975)

10. Eddie Hinton - Cover Me (196?)

11. David Ackles - Subway to the Country (1970)

12. Serge Gainsbourg - Initials B.B. (1968)

13. Baby Huey & the Babysitters - Mighty Mighty (1971)

14. Roy Wood - Songs of Praise (1973)

15. Peter Laughner - Amphetamine (197?)

16. Caetano Veloso - London, London (1971)

17. Loudon Wainwright III - Motel Blues (1971)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yri8or

I feel like we're musical kindred spirits. Seriously.

Caetano, Roy Wood, Peter Laughner, Jim Ford...

JEEZUS, man!

I think that we would have a helluva band together, if you lived any closer.

I'll be downloading this one... at least the tunes that I haven't heard yet.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if I've [postyed this one before, but I think it's a pretty good one...

You know those songs that, the first time you hear them, you can already sing along? The ones that there are no surprises -- but in a good way. The first time you hear them, they sound like they've always been a part of your life.

Well, IMO, these are some of those that I have on my iTunes. Some you already know, some you don't. But you will once you hear them....

http://www.mediafire.com/?4ddwnrnjnnh

Live - The Bangles

September Gurls (live) - Big Star

Ju Ju Man - Brinsley Schwarz

Israelites - Desmond Dekker

Jennifer Save Me - Golden Smog

Her Father Didn't Like Me Anyway - The Humblebums

I KNow You Don't Love Me - Ike Turner

Long Time Ago - Jellyfish

Jenny Artichoke - Kaleidescope

The Last Thing To Go - Kris Kristofferson

Dick About It - MOTO

So It Goes - Nick Lowe

Wagon Wheel - Old Crow Medicine Show

Little Ole Country Boy - Parliment

Hung Up - Paul Weller

Ruby Soho - Rancid

Starry Eyes - The Records

Ball and Chain - Social Distortion

Hometown Blues - Steve Earle

Pomp and Pride - Toots & The Maytalls

Hope you like it.

Some further thoughts on the awesomeness of this mix.

--The sounds Van Dyke Parks got on his records in the sixties never cease to amaze me, I remember driving around Charleston listening to Song Cycle over and over one day and thinking if this record came out today let alone 67, it would completely blow people's minds. He invented Elephant 6 with that album.

--The Jansch song is a real gem, hadn't heard anything with orchestral arrangements from him before.

--I once spent two hours trying to convince my friend Sharon that the 60's Nirvana was way better than Cobain's band. Like almost anything I've ever argued passionately about, I am not entirely sure if actually believed in what I was arguing about, but if I had to pick Simon Simopath or Nevermind at gunpoint, I'm going with the one with Pentecost Hotel on it.

--Everyone should listen to The Left Banke, a lot. "I've Got Something On My Mind" (particularly teamed with Jens Lekman' Black Cab, which samples the main hook) or "Pretty Ballerina" are my usual go to Left Banke mix tracks.

--Before this year I downloaded Scott's 1-4 about three times, listened to them, ditched them, couldn't get into it. I thought it was just strange and too melodramatic. I loved 30 Century Man and Black Sheep Boy, but the orchestration on most of the tracks sort of threw me. Then this winter, I decided to give Scott one more chance, and this time I took to all of his stuff in a big way. I've listened those albums more than almost anything else this year. The lesson: give everything a few chances before tossing off it to the side.

--New York Mining Disaster 1941 is usually my go to Bee Gees mix track, but Sound of Love is really beautiful as well.

--Perfect closing track for the mix, Odessey & Oracle and Blunstone's solo One Year are up there with the best records ever put out. Jon Brion does a great live cover of this as well.

For me the British folk of the late sixties/early seventies and sixties Baroque Pop have been two of the most rewarding genres of music to discover and listen to.

Mike

I'm really glad you like it. That Bert Jansch song comes from one of 3 recently re-released albums from the 1970s. LA Turnaround, Santa Barbara Honeymoon (which is what that track's from) and A Rare Conundrum. Whilst LA Turnaround is concidered the 'lost classic', I personally think A Rare Conundrum is better - I had all of these on crap mp3, from vinyl, versions and it's now great to have them in good quality.

If you like 1-4 of Scott Walker's albums, see if you can pick up Til The Band Comes In - it was once really hard to find on cd, but they re-released that recently too. Maybe not as great as the first 4, but pretty damn close.

Did you like the Lou Christie track? Cos the album it's from - Paint America Love - is a real lost classic of Baroque Pop, it's great stuff.

As for your mix, I love most of those people on it. 2 tracks from the best Eels album. Neil Innes! Wow. John Cale, Brian Eno - it's all music from my favourite artists. Great.

I didn't end up with the "newer stuff" mix as suggested as I didn't have all the CDs handy that I wanted to use. Instead, I went on a detour into 60s-70s Rock, Soul, Folk, Country, Baroque Pop, Brazilian Pop, and Cabaret. Despite the various genres I think everything sits well together and has a pretty good flow. I hope y'all like it.

Outsiders, Eccentrics, Fringe Dwellers and Cult Legends

01. Jim Ford - Harlan County (1969)

02. Arthur Russell - I Couldn't Say It to Your Face (197?)

03. Karen Dalton - Something on Your Mind (1971)

04. Rodriguez - Crucify Your Mind (1970)

05. Lindisfarne - We Can Swing Together (1970)

06. Funkadelic - Can You Get to That (1971)

07. Lee Hazlewood - Dark in My Heart (1967)

08. Terry Callier - Lean on Me (1972)

09. Camille Yarbrough - Take Yo' Praise (1975)

10. Eddie Hinton - Cover Me (196?)

11. David Ackles - Subway to the Country (1970)

12. Serge Gainsbourg - Initials B.B. (1968)

13. Baby Huey & the Babysitters - Mighty Mighty (1971)

14. Roy Wood - Songs of Praise (1973)

16. Caetano Veloso - London, London (1971)

17. Loudon Wainwright III - Motel Blues (1971)

Baby Huey, cool! That's such a great album - everyone should download this, just for that. Let alone for the other great stuff here!

"Goddam Peter Laughner rippin' off Jeff Tweedy!"

Baby Huey, cool! That's such a great album

One of my favorite Soul reissues of the past few years. So many great songs. I love their version of "Hard Times," which is actually better than Curtis' as far as I'm concerned.

p.s. I didn't realize those 3 Bert Jansch records had been reissued, thanks for the heads up :) .

Here is the mix that thankyoufornothingatall did for me. You'll find the tracklisting as part of the .rar file, and I don't have it downloaded on this machine (work laptop).

thankyoufornothingatall's Mix

It's a really good contemporary mix, with a little splash of vintage in there. The more modern stuff on there I'm pretty familiar with (Grizzly Bear, Bon Iver, The Knife, Stars, Kevin Drew) but the track selection and sequencing really gives it a natural and warm flow. There were some surprises on there, like the Dave Sitek track that I hadn't heard previous.

Also, I blame thankyoufornothingatall for the lateness of my mix :) . He opened my eyes/ears to the possibility and software to help blend the tracks. I'm now hooked on this, and have been endlessly tweaking the transitions.

thankyoufornothingatall has my earlier version (or leaked version as I refer to it) but I was unhappy with how it sounded when I burnt it to cd - sound quality was poor with lots of pops, crackles and panning between speakers. So I'm currently sorting that out for public consumption. Anyway, here is the tracklisting, which I wanted to post now to show how great minds think alike - GtrPlyr chose the same Karen Dalton track and PopTodd chose the same Brinsley Schwarz track. Accusers of plagarism can go to hell; my mix was completed last Saturday :)

My picks:

1. RJD2 - Salud

2. El Guincho - Palmitos Park

3. Simian - One Dimension

4. Karen Dalton - Something On Your Mind

5. Bibio - Lovers' Carvings

6. Stevie Wonder - Castles In The Sand

7. Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions - On The Low

8. Boards Of Canada - Constants Are Changing

9. Fairport Convention - Tale In Hard Time

10. Spiritualized - The Slide Song

11. Kings Of Convenience - I Don't Know What I Can Save You From (Royksopp remix)

12. Brinsley Schwarz - Ju Ju Man

13. Faust - Lauft...Heissr Das Es Lauft Oder Es Kommt Bald..Lauft (Alternative Version)

14. Clark - Future Daniel

15. Plants And Animals - Feedback In The Field

16. Department of Eagles - Sailing By Night

17. John Cale - Emily

18. Bob Morgan - Marguerite

19. Ronnie Lane - Tin and Tambourine

20. Koushik - See You

21. Pole - Heim (Four Tet mix)

Mix should be ready, minus sound problems, this evening.

Anyway, here is the tracklisting, which I wanted to post now to show how great minds think alike - GtrPlyr chose the same Karen Dalton track and PopTodd chose the same Brinsley Schwarz track. Accusers of plagarism can go to hell; my mix was completed last Saturday :)

Makes me want to construct a pure Brinsley Schwarz mix but without JujuMan. :lol

I too am listening to a fabulous mix at this moment, from bweil. Enjoying the hell out of it on first listening! Details to follow.

Here is the mix that thankyoufornothingatall did for me. You'll find the tracklisting as part of the .rar file, and I don't have it downloaded on this machine (work laptop).

thankyoufornothingatall's Mix

It's a really good contemporary mix, with a little splash of vintage in there. The more modern stuff on there I'm pretty familiar with (Grizzly Bear, Bon Iver, The Knife, Stars, Kevin Drew) but the track selection and sequencing really gives it a natural and warm flow. There were some surprises on there, like the Dave Sitek track that I hadn't heard previous.

Also, I blame thankyoufornothingatall for the lateness of my mix :) . He opened my eyes/ears to the possibility and software to help blend the tracks. I'm now hooked on this, and have been endlessly tweaking the transitions.

thankyoufornothingatall has my earlier version (or leaked version as I refer to it) but I was unhappy with how it sounded when I burnt it to cd - sound quality was poor with lots of pops, crackles and panning between speakers. So I'm currently sorting that out for public consumption. Anyway, here is the tracklisting, which I wanted to post now to show how great minds think alike - GtrPlyr chose the same Karen Dalton track and PopTodd chose the same Brinsley Schwarz track. Accusers of plagarism can go to hell; my mix was completed last Saturday :)

My picks:

1. RJD2 - Salud

2. El Guincho - Palmitos Park

3. Simian - One Dimension

4. Karen Dalton - Something On Your Mind

5. Bibio - Lovers' Carvings

6. Stevie Wonder - Castles In The Sand

7. Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions - On The Low

8. Boards Of Canada - Constants Are Changing

9. Fairport Convention - Tale In Hard Time

10. Spiritualized - The Slide Song

11. Kings Of Convenience - I Don't Know What I Can Save You From (Royksopp remix)

12. Brinsley Schwarz - Ju Ju Man

13. Faust - Lauft...Heissr Das Es Lauft Oder Es Kommt Bald..Lauft (Alternative Version)

14. Clark - Future Daniel

15. Plants And Animals - Feedback In The Field

16. Department of Eagles - Sailing By Night

17. John Cale - Emily

18. Bob Morgan - Marguerite

19. Ronnie Lane - Tin and Tambourine

20. Koushik - See You

21. Pole - Heim (Four Tet mix)

Mix should be ready, minus sound problems, this evening.

cool. hurry up and upload it. have you heard jim ford yet? seeing as you like Ju Ju Man. i might just stick my southern soul mix i'd made recently in here anyway for anyone to download.

cool. hurry up and upload it. have you heard jim ford yet? seeing as you like Ju Ju Man. i might just stick my southern soul mix i'd made recently in here anyway for anyone to download.

No, not heard anything by Jim Ford. I noticed he was the opener on GtrPlyr's mix, but, unfortunately I haven't had much time to listen to other people's mixes, beyond thankyoufornothingatall's - I will though. If there's a likeness to Brinsley Schwarz, and by that reasoning The Band, then I guess I'll dig it.

Incidentally, I also noticed GtrPlyr had included the very same Arthur Russell track that nearly made my mix. I'm thinking there's some almost cosmic, musical touchstones beyond Wilco that are common amongst quite a few posters here. Which raises such questions as:

Is ViaChicago built on ley lines?

and

What happened to white dog poo?

No, not heard anything by Jim Ford. I noticed he was the opener on GtrPlyr's mix, but, unfortunately I haven't had much time to listen to other people's mixes, beyond thankyoufornothingatall's - I will though. If there's a likeness to Brinsley Schwarz, and by that reasoning The Band, then I guess I'll dig it.

Incidentally, I also noticed GtrPlyr had included the very same Arthur Russell track that nearly made my mix. I'm thinking there's some almost cosmic, musical touchstones beyond Wilco that are common amongst quite a few posters here. Which raises such questions as:

Is ViaChicago built on ley lines?

and

What happened to white dog poo?

Jim Ford wrote Ju Ju Man and Niki Hoeke Speedway - from Silver Pistol. Get yourself a copy of this It's amazingly good.

Karen Dalton and Arthur Russell, that's a funny coincidence :) . I must love that Dalton track as I've used it on another mix a while back. That Arthur Russell track is one of those so good, you want everyone to hear it kind of songs, and definitely something a lot of Wilco fans would dig.

As for Jim Ford, I 2nd what joss ackland said, get yourself "Sounds of Our Time." And after that, grab "Point of No Return."

Cool mix by the way--I almost used a Fairport Convention song too, so there's another similarity :D .

As for Jim Ford, I 2nd what joss ackland said, get yourself "Sounds of Our Time." And after that, grab "Point of No Return."

did you know that they've released two new albums of Jim Ford music - one called Big Mouth USA: The Unissued Paramount Album, and another called The Unissued Capitol Album. Now I don't know if there is a lot of cross-over with the takes they used, but some of the songs are the same, and they also seem to match some stuff from Point Of No Return, but I just thought I'd mention it.

by the way, thanks for the mix - i've now discovered eddie hinton now, and i'm searching for a bunch of his albums. got any idea which are the best - i generally tend to like proper albums rather than comps, but it's hard to tell what is what with him because, like most of these people, they never got much success with releasing their own music when they were alive.

did you know that they've released two new albums of Jim Ford music - one called Big Mouth USA: The Unissued Paramount Album, and another called The Unissued Capitol Album. Now I don't know if there is a lot of cross-over with the takes they used, but some of the songs are the same, and they also seem to match some stuff from Point Of No Return, but I just thought I'd mention it.

by the way, thanks for the mix - i've now discovered eddie hinton now, and i'm searching for a bunch of his albums. got any idea which are the best - i generally tend to like proper albums rather than comps, but it's hard to tell what is what with him because, like most of these people, they never got much success with releasing their own music when they were alive.

Yeah, I saw those new Ford reissues. One has 2 new songs, the other 3. I think I'll hold off on buying those and maybe download them if I come across them.

I'm like you, I prefer proper albums to comps. Unfortunately with Hinton there isn't much available, so the comp. "Dear Y'all: The Songwriting Sessions" would be the best place to start I believe. There's also a 2nd release "Playin' Around: The Songwriting Sessions, Vol. 2" which I don't have, but hope to find. If you can't find the Hinton disc, I can hook you up with a proper .flac, or .mp3 version if you'd like.

Going off track for a second, another suggestion I'd throw out there for those that dig Jim Ford (and The Band) is Bobby Charles' s/t disc. It's a great blue-eyed soul disc, made with the likes of Rick Danko and John Simon.

I didn't know about the 3rd volume of that Hinton comp. Damn, there's another one for the list.

I had a feeling you already knew about Bobby Charles :) .

okay, since no one seems to be down for a CD swap, if i upload mine to mediafire, how do i make sure that when the person opens the file that the tracks are in the correct order. because if you open them in itunes, they'll just be all spread out and what not.

okay, since no one seems to be down for a CD swap, if i upload mine to mediafire, how do i make sure that when the person opens the file that the tracks are in the correct order. because if you open them in itunes, they'll just be all spread out and what not.

i think if you go to properties, and then click advanced you can renumber them and rename them there.

Love GtrPly's mix, and weirdly enough "Something On Your Mind" was a last second cut from my mix as well. Really dig Harlan County (hadn't heard that before) and Amphetamine is mind-blowingly good.

Looking forward to hearing yours, mthomp, there's a lot of stuff on that one I like: Spiritualized, Kings of Convenience, John Cale, Karen Dalton, Fairport, and most of the bands on it are on my "to check out" list.

--Mike

There's really just never enough time to check out all the great bands, is there? But these mix exchanges really help to steer us all to our similar tastes, and wonderful songmakers we haven't happened to stumble across already. Thanks to every one of you mix-makers, because I've taken away a whole headful of bands and musicians I'll be looking into. :thumbup

As soon as I know that bweil has gotten my mix (by mail) and had the privilege of first listen, I'll put mine up as a download link for any who might be interested. :)

Phew, mix finally finished now. A few points to note:

* Apologies, this is just one long mp3. My skills aren't yet at the advanced stage were I can divide the tracks up.

* To upload I used Rapidshare. At 90% completion of the upload it provided me with the download link(??!). I don't know if this is the norm, but my confidence isn't exactly high in everything having been captured - where did that missing 10% go??

* Because I used Rapidshare, the link is limited to ten downloads only. In the unlikely event that this link expires, and demand for downloading not being met (again, unlikely), could I ask one of the lucky downloaders to re-up it? I ask only because it takes me a lot longer (nearly 2 hours) to upload than to download (uploading through my ISP is capped to a fraction of my download speed). I have also experienced problems, probably down to file size and ISP, in uploading it using Mediafire, Megaupload, etc.

* There is no Michael Jackson contained within the mix.

Presenting:

No Jackson

With that over I can now kick back and enjoy some of your efforts.