Them Crooked Vultures

while i'm still pretty excited for this, everything i've heard from it, TCV doesn't really sound that much different than Queens of the Stone Age (whom i LOVE mind you).

i'm sure i'll dig it, but not exactly expecting one of the better records of the year...

while i'm still pretty excited for this, everything i've heard from it, TCV doesn't really sound that much different than Queens of the Stone Age (whom i LOVE mind you).

i'm sure i'll dig it, but not exactly expecting one of the better records of the year...

Well, that's to be expected, isn't it? Considering how varied Queens' catalogue is, anything Josh sings anymore will have that QOTSA sound, just because it's his voice.

That being said, I consider Josh to be the absolute top "rock" musician of the past decade or so.

His vocals aside, it's not exactly the same. Each member definitely brings plenty to the table, so it's more than just a new QOTSA album with special guests. I say this having seen them live last week.

actually it's not even the vocals that remind me of Queens (the songs don't have a TON of vocals to begin with), moreso it's the riffs & overall sound/vibe.

that said, i'm hoping it's better than the last 2 Queens records at least :)

Ahh, I love the last two Queens albums a lot. Honestly, Josh has never really disappointed me, and this will continue that trend.

I guess the simplest way for me to explain it is to say that it's obviously a Josh Homme project. He's got an incredibly distinctive voice and guitar style, so that's no shock. Judging by the overall sound, it seems like he was TCV's primary "songwriter," if you will. But it wouldn't be fair to call it a QOTSA album, since Dave and John seem to have contribute a lot to the songs.

I'm eagerly awaiting the studio album. Until then, I'll listen to the bootleg from last week.

I saw them at ACL and was pretty disappointed...I like Queens, but it just sounded like Josh Homme and the Superfriends. If John or Dave had any influence on the songs, I couldn't hear it.

Oh, and it was LOUD. That's probably the best thing I can say about the set. :lol

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a few spins threw this and I am really liking it. Although it mostly sounds like a Queens of the Stone Age album, there are snippets where the other band members personalities shine through. For example that keyboard part that comes in during "Scumbag blues" is right out of "Trampled Underfoot". I think what I like most so far is this album Rawks without being like Mastodon type metal. It's the perfect antidote if you have been listening to too much Fleet Foxes or Bon Iver and want something heavy.

I'm a few spins threw this and I am really liking it. Although it mostly sounds like a Queens of the Stone Age album, there are snippets where the other band members personalities shine through. For example that keyboard part that comes in during "Scumbag blues" is right out of "Trampled Underfoot". I think what I like most so far is this album Rawks without being like Mastodon type metal. It's the perfect antidote if you have been listening to too much Fleet Foxes or Bon Iver and want something heavy.

I like it quite a bit after two listens. That said, I didn't hear the point of John Paul Jones.

I'm no Zeppelin fan, so I couldn't tell you what JPJ is good at. But this album has some juicer basslines than most Queens tracks. I have to assume that's the point of JPJ.

And I love this record. It's not a new sound or anything, it's just incredibly solid hard rock. Obviously it sounds like a QOTSA album. That's to be expected with Josh on vocals. But sounding like Queens ain't a bad thing at all.

2:42 in No One Loves Me might be the greatest riff I've ever heard. It makes me want to break things.

Really? Really? have you ever heard led zeppelin?

this band is so unoriginal and cliche.

Yes. I have. They never clicked with me, but I've heard it all.

You can't really say these guys are unoriginal or cliche, though. I mean, all three guys in the band have released great, innovative rock music before (I don't consider FF innovative though, for the record. But you can't deny Grohl's drumming). Zeppelin is Zeppelin, and QOTSA are easily among, if not the, best rock bands of the last decade or so. The record isn't a brand new type of music, but it's not an exact re-make of anything they've done before. And it's some damn well played rock. Obviously you won't like it if you don't like Queens, but I think Josh's voice and guitar are both quite great. And I think this record is excellent.

Yes. I have. They never clicked with me, but I've heard it all.

You can't really say these guys are unoriginal or cliche, though. I mean, all three guys in the band have released great, innovative rock music before (I don't consider FF innovative though, for the record. But you can't deny Grohl's drumming). Zeppelin is Zeppelin, and QOTSA are easily among, if not the, best rock bands of the last decade or so. The record isn't a brand new type of music, but it's not an exact re-make of anything they've done before. And it's some damn well played rock. Obviously you won't like it if you don't like Queens, but I think Josh's voice and guitar are both quite great. And I think this record is excellent.

good points. sorry about my jerky post. :cheers

A first listen now and... it's solid.

Not spectacular, but solid. There are definitely some moments of not just Zep-type riffage, but Zep-aping. But really, those are the best moments of the album for me. At least on a first listen.

This one may take a couple of listens to completely sink in. But, overall, it's one of the better RAWK albums that I've heard recently.

(caveat: I haven't listened to much RAWK at all recently)

• 2 months later...

This was my favorite record of 2009 simply because I expected a solid rock album and I got that and a little bit more. Plus, I was looking for a good rock album coming into the year after 2008 was fairly quiet and got...more quiet stuff from my favorites so this album blasted them all out of the water.

Don't get me wrong, there were other good/better than good albums last year but this one knocked my socks off. I know I'll be tuning in this week.