As much shit as McCartney gets, Rod Stewart went way further off the track of respectability.

--Mike

Well, he DID do that stellar cover of Waits' "Downbound Train".

(That was a joke... :lol)

I found a funny blurb I liked from the Beatles Songwriting Database website. This is Paul talking about the Rubber Soul song 'Girl':

PAUL circa-1994: "It was John's original idea, but it was very much co-written. I remember writing 'the pain and pleasure,' and 'a man must break his back.' ...It was amusing to see if we could get a naughty word on the record. The Beach Boys had a song out where they'd done 'la la la la' and we loved the innocence of that and wanted to copy it but not use the same phrase. So we were looking around for another phrase-- 'dit dit dit dit,' which we decided to change it in our waggishness to 'tit tit tit tit.' And it gave us a laugh. It was good to get some light relief in the middle of this real big career that we were forging. If we could put in something that was a little bit subversive then we would. George Martin would say, 'Was that dit-dit or tit-tit you were singing?' 'Oh! dit-dit George, but it does sound a bit like that, doesn't it?' Then we'd get in the car and break down laughing."

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rod did some stellar covers of Dylan tunes, i.e. Tomorrow is Such a Long Time, Mama You Been On My Mind, Only a Hobo. At the height of his powers, there was none better. And when he became a ridiculous disco-strutting assclown, there was none worse.

even if you believe in the divine right of kings, that doesn't mean the queen's shit don't stink.

Translation?

One of my favorite Paul songs is 'This One' from Flowers In The Dirt. I only mention this because I'm posting in this thread and I didn't want my post to be one word that had nothing to do with John or Paul.

I should say something positive about his post-Beatles career. I think Band On The Run and Wings Over America are great albums. I actually own those two. Wings Over America was also a film. It was called Rockshow. I believe it is out of print - but, it can be found if one looks for it. I have it on DVD.

The whole film is actually on Youtube.

Just to break things up a bit, here comes the sun video from Guitar hero, impressive:

http://www.shacknews...article.x/60216

The animation is pretty cool, but the game aspect just kills it for me. That intermittent screeching wraith sound is the player garnering points I imagine. What a waste of technology. Maybe it will lead to something cool though, like being able to "go see" The Beatles at a music hall in a decade or so.

I should say something positive about his post-Beatles career. I think Band On The Run and Wings Over America are great albums. I actually own those two. Wings Over America was also a film. It was called Rockshow. I believe it is out of print - but, it can be found if one looks for it. I have it on DVD.

The whole film is actually on Youtube.

Have you listed to Ram? If you have why, in your opinion is it not better than Band on the Run? I think Band on the Run is to polished and arena rock bandy. Ram to me sounds like he's having fun and playing more with odd vocal layers and song structures. It reminds me somewhat of Smile. It has more of an "indie rock" feel to it. I'm just curious because I love Ram probably more than a few Beatles albums and I'm starting to think that maybe I'm a little odd.

Have you listed to Ram? If you have why, in your opinion is it not better than Band on the Run? I think Band on the Run is to polished and arena rock bandy. Ram to me sounds like he's having fun and playing more with odd vocal layers and song structures. It reminds me somewhat of Smile. It has more of an "indie rock" feel to it.

I have, but has been years and years ago. Maybe I should say that Band On The Run and Wings Over America are the two Paul albums I own and thus, am most familiar with. I have never really messed with any of The Beatles solo efforts that much. I have heard a lot of the albums over the years, but never really owned many of them. I suppose the one I do own, and have listened to the most is All Things Must Pass. Maybe someday they will all be available together in a gigantic boxset.

I have, but has been years and years ago. Maybe I should say that Band On The Run and Wings Over America are the two Paul albums I own and thus, am most familiar with. I have never really messed with any of The Beatles solo efforts that much. I have heard a lot of the albums over the years, but never really owned many of them. I suppose the one I do own, and have listened to the most is All Things Must Pass. Maybe someday they will all be available together in a gigantic boxset.

I have All Things Must Pass and I need to listen to it more. From what I remember it is good. I just have a problem with the whole spiritual aspect of Harrison's work. It's just a hang up I have that has prevented me from taking it to seriously.

The animation is pretty cool, but the game aspect just kills it for me. That intermittent screeching wraith sound is the player garnering points I imagine. What a waste of technology. Maybe it will lead to something cool though, like being able to "go see" The Beatles at a music hall in a decade or so.

Yeah, the actual game does not really excite me. The thought of wasting time playing Here comes the sun on this game instead of on my acoustic guitar does not excite me. It does appear that they really put some effort into the game though. I'm sure it will turn more than a few kids into Beatle freaks.

I'm sure it will turn more than a few kids into Beatle freaks.

Well, if it causes one person to throw Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavillion in the garbage, then I'd call it a resounding success.

I need to get Ram. I've never heard a non-Wings Paul solo album in it's entirety.

In my opinion, McCartney's solo output peaked with McCartney and has gone progressively downhill since. Which is to say tha Ram is his second best, etc. And I really don't see the fuss over Chaos and Creation.

Every Night is so good.

I've had no luck finding any sites with info on Paul's current touring band, but I wonder how long each of the guys have been with him. All I know is "Wix" Wickens has been at the keys since the 1989 tour. That's quite a run.

I've had no luck finding any sites with info on Paul's current touring band, but I wonder how long each of the guys have been with him. All I know is "Wix" Wickens has been at the keys since the 1989 tour. That's quite a run.

I'm pretty sure he still has Abe Laboriel, Jr. on drums.

I love the Beatles, but I must say that as a singer, Lennon always touched me much more than Paul.

We also have to remind that a lot of songs that sound written and composed by John alone in the Beatles catalog owe a lot to Paul musically. Such as "Help!" and many others.

But there are some songs that owe nothing to Paul, such as "Across the Universe", and it's definitely one of the best songs of the Beatles catalog.

("catalog" will be the word of this captivating post)

I like the TV movie Two Of Us, with Aidan Quinn as Paul and Jared Harris as John, set the day of Lorne Michaels' on-air request that they reunite on SNL. I have a copy of it somewhere here, I think I'll watch it this weekend.

EDIT: some scenes on YouTube - I like this one particularly.

I like the TV movie Two Of Us, with Aidan Quinn as Paul and Jared Harris as John, set the day of Lorne Michaels' on-air request that they reunite on SNL. I have a copy of it somewhere here, I think I'll watch it this weekend.

I remember that film. It was made by VH1. I think I taped it also.

I enjoyed that movie quite a bit. I remember reading about that SNL thing and how they were together watching it on TV and actually considered going down there to get the $300 check or whatever it was. That would have been amazing.

whenever the lennon vs mccartney debate comes up, i always lean towards George. there must be a reason why he come out with a triple album as soon as the beatles went caput. plus, 'here comes the sun' is my favourite beatles tune