• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

But only Liam has the ability to turn a single-syllable word into a three-syllable word, like "shine": She-IIII-un.

That's nothing. The dude from Everclear could pull off four syllables: shy-ee-ay-hine.

...or they honestly think the band sucks.

I think we need a new codicil to Godwin's law covering the use of "indie hipster." :rolleyes

Here you go...

Cryptique's codicil to Godwin's Law: Any iternet discussion of a current or former flavor of the month band will inevitably lead to the use of the phrase 'indie hipster' in defense of said current/former flavor of the month band.

To call oasis a flavor of the month band is rediculous, they've be popluar for over 15 years, sold over 50 million albums, and still sell out soccer stadiums and huge arenas in Europe, Asia and South America, and when they come to the US they play to between 10K to 20K. What I think is people hate on Oasis cause if your into all that garbage that comes out now a days that is the cool thing to do. Listen to more that WTSMG and wonderwall and you'll hear all their great songs. Their b side album is better than most albums that have come out in the last 15 years

To call oasis a flavor of the month band is rediculous, they've be popluar for over 15 years

Ergo, former flavor of the month band. From 1994 or so.

[...]sold over 50 million albums, and still sell out soccer stadiums and huge arenas in Europe, Asia and South America, and when they come to the US they play to between 10K to 20K.

Not anymore.

What I think is people hate on Oasis cause if your into all that garbage that comes out now a days that is the cool thing to do.

Many of us hate on Oasis because we don't think they were ever a very good band. Ever. Like, never.

Listen to more that WTSMG and wonderwall and you'll hear all their great songs. Their b side album is better than most albums that have come out in the last 15 years

That still allows that 49.999% of albums that came out in the last 15 years could be better than their B side album. And when you consider how crappy the bulk of released albums are (across all genres), that ain't sayin' much.

They have a few great songs, but most of what I have heard is rather bland. I think most of their story is about how they act and the mischief they get into. There is something to be said for being brash and saying you are the best. But - do they have the material to back that up? Wasn't one of their recent songs pretty much a rip-off of Street Fighting Man?

To call oasis a flavor of the month band is rediculous, they've be popluar for over 15 years, sold over 50 million albums, and still sell out soccer stadiums and huge arenas in Europe, Asia and South America, and when they come to the US they play to between 10K to 20K. What I think is people hate on Oasis cause if your into all that garbage that comes out now a days that is the cool thing to do. Listen to more that WTSMG and wonderwall and you'll hear all their great songs. Their b side album is better than most albums that have come out in the last 15 years

Oh please, Oasis wasn't even the best band in Britain during their 90's heyday. Noel could whip out a great stadium rocker, but the catalogues of bands like SFA, Blur and Pulp basically shit all over everything Oasis put out.

Oasis was always more about the antics than the music. It's common knowledge.

Oh please, Oasis wasn't even the best band in Britain during their 90's heyday. Noel could whip out a great stadium rocker, but the catalogues of bands like SFA, Blur and Pulp basically shit all over everything Oasis put out.

Oasis was always more about the antics than the music. It's common knowledge.

I don't think those comparisons say much for your argument.

But,... all Oasis learned to do was copy the Beatles and Stone Roses and call it their own. It's easy to be vague, thus appeal to radio listeners with broad non-specific lyrics. Other British bands of that decade like Blur and Radiohead took observations of English life and made excellent music while acknowledging the detailed troubles of the world.

Furthermore, it doesn't help the credibility of halftheworldaway that he/she can not spell or bother to even use the auto-spell check implemented in the forum. In fact, I've seen a lot more of this behavior on Via Chicago in the last three months.

I don't think those comparisons say much for your argument.

But,... all Oasis learned to do was copy the Beatles and Stone Roses and call it their own. It's easy to be vague, thus appeal to radio listeners with broad non-specific lyrics. Other British bands of that decade like Blur and Radiohead took observations of English life and made excellent music while acknowledging the detailed troubles of the world.

Furthermore, it doesn't help the credibility of halftheworldaway that he/she can not spell or bother to even use the auto-spell check implemented in the forum. In fact, I've seen a lot more of this behavior on Via Chicago in the last three months.

You explained my point better than I. Well done.

Oasis wrote some pretty good songs, with nothing behind them. Radiohead, SFA and company wrote great songs, with a lot of meaning behind them. There's a place for both types of songs, obviously. But it's hard to adequately argue the virtues of Oasis as a "great" band when they were so damn derivative, and often bland.

I do have a copy of "Wibbling Rivalry" that's kind of entertaining. 11 minutes of them arguing in those accents: geh ou' of me fooking band then ya prick!

I have to admit, Noel does come across as slightly less of a douchy asshole on there than Liam.

I loved their first two albums, though I haven't listened to them seriously for awhile. Still I liked a few of their newer tracks here and there, like Born on a Different Cloud or Lyla. I think Be Here Now is an abomination, and this decade Noel and Liam's interviews were always a little more interesting to read then listening to what ever album they were promoting. Still if done well I'll always have a soft spot for anyone copping from the Beatles, Stones, and Kinks. They really might be the last rock band I liked that got serious Top 40 radio play in the states. I guess I've heard the Strokes, White Stripes and Radiohead occasionally, but certainly not as much as I heard Wonderwall in the nineties.

Were they the greatest band in the fookin' world? No.

Did the La's do everything Oasis wanted to a lot better? Of course.

Would I ever turn the radio off if Champagne Supernova or Wonderwall came on? Probably not.

--Mike

• 4 weeks later...

This is kind of sad but......apparently Chas and Dave have also split up. This may not mean anything to anyone outside of London but they were a cockney duo famous in the eighties. Pretty sure they never cracked the US though!! They're getting on a bit now and Dave's wife recently passed away, which led to the duo dispanding. As a Spurs (Football not Basketball) fan this saddens me as they used to record songs for us whenever we got to the FA Cup final!!

• 1 year later...