Maybe about 10 years too late...

Thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/08/29/oasis.split/index.html

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Oasis front man Noel Gallagher has quit the rock group after a fallout with his bandmate brother, he announced late Friday.

"It's with some sadness and great relief to tell you that I quit Oasis tonight," Noel Gallagher said in a brief statement on the band's Web site. "People will write and say what they like, but I simply could not go on working with Liam a day longer."

Noel Gallagher is the band's lead guitarist and songwriter, and Liam Gallagher is the lead singer.

The band is currently on a European tour for its album, "Dig Out Your Soul." Noel Gallagher apologized to fans who had bought tickets for upcoming gigs in France, Germany and Italy.

Oasis had to cancel its headlining performance at the V Festival in Britain over the weekend because Liam Gallagher said he was sick and couldn't sing.

He later apologized for the cancellation and quashed rumors that it was the band's last-ever British gig.

Disputes between the brothers have been in the public eye in the past, but never before has one of the brothers gone so far as to leave the band.

Oasis shot to stardom with its 1994 album, "Definitely Maybe," which contained the band's first major hit, "Supersonic."

The follow-up, "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?" produced one of group's most famous tracks, "Wonderwall."

The Manchester band was one of the pioneers of the Britpop movement of the early '90s, along with British band Blur.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe about 10 years too late...

Thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/08/29/oasis.split/index.html

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Oasis front man Noel Gallagher has quit the rock group after a fallout with his bandmate brother, he announced late Friday.

"It's with some sadness and great relief to tell you that I quit Oasis tonight," Noel Gallagher said in a brief statement on the band's Web site. "People will write and say what they like, but I simply could not go on working with Liam a day longer."

Noel Gallagher is the band's lead guitarist and songwriter, and Liam Gallagher is the lead singer.

The band is currently on a European tour for its album, "Dig Out Your Soul." Noel Gallagher apologized to fans who had bought tickets for upcoming gigs in France, Germany and Italy.

Oasis had to cancel its headlining performance at the V Festival in Britain over the weekend because Liam Gallagher said he was sick and couldn't sing.

He later apologized for the cancellation and quashed rumors that it was the band's last-ever British gig.

Disputes between the brothers have been in the public eye in the past, but never before has one of the brothers gone so far as to leave the band.

Oasis shot to stardom with its 1994 album, "Definitely Maybe," which contained the band's first major hit, "Supersonic."

The follow-up, "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?" produced one of group's most famous tracks, "Wonderwall."

The Manchester band was one of the pioneers of the Britpop movement of the early '90s, along with British band Blur.

If the fookin' Beatles broke up we can too. Seriously this breakup will hold as long Phish's they'll be back together within three years.

--Mike

One of my favorite bands but it was time. What's the Story Morning Glory is one of the best albums of all time IMO. Noel will do okay on his own and Liam will disappear I suppose. Last time I saw them in Camden, N.J. in Dec. 08 they seemed a bit bored and uninspired. But like Wilco they could rock live.

dont believe the truth was good. all their albums, with the exception of standing on the shoulders of giants and be here now, are relatively pretty cool. that is my opinion, of course, and i could be wrong.

I hope they don't look back in anger.

They can use a break (probably all this is) to maybe figure out how to write good songs again.

I would love to see Noel write some good tunes again. If that means time away from his brother, so be it.

Oasis is one of those bands that friends of mine can't believe I like knowing the other bands I like (does that make sense?). They were, at their best, a great rock band with memorable melodies. After "Morning Glory", they lost a bit of their "fun" and tried to rip off psychedelic glam rock. A bit like McCartney (or Lennon, I can't remember the quote) describes Elvis. Before he went into the army, there was a glint of danger and fun in his eye, but after he got back from the army, that little thing, whatever it was, was gone.

Oasis was a great band, Noel has written some amazing songs, and their worst album is alot better than half the bands out theres best album. Alot of the haters out there jump on the "I hate oasis bandwagon" cause their either indie hipsters or are afraid to admit that oasis is not as bad as they like to pretend. Noel will go on and record some great solo stuff just watch.

Alot of the haters out there jump on the "I hate oasis bandwagon" cause their either indie hipsters or are afraid to admit that oasis is not as bad as they like to pretend.

...or they honestly think the band sucks.

I think we need a new codicil to Godwin's law covering the use of "indie hipster." :rolleyes

Oasis was a great band, Noel has written some amazing songs, and their worst album is alot better than half the bands out theres best album. Alot of the haters out there jump on the "I hate oasis bandwagon" cause their either indie hipsters or are afraid to admit that oasis is not as bad as they like to pretend. Noel will go on and record some great solo stuff just watch.

Oasis was a great band - "was" being limited to "covering the period through their 2nd album." With their 3rd (which I defended at the time) they entered a phase of bloated mediocrity that they weren't able to pull out of, aside from a song here or there (I liked Lyla). I assume that Noel eventually ran out of crib notes and song idea sources.

:cheers

Sweet, time to celebrate!

Also, sorry to Vampire Weekend, but you really should have known better than to support an unstable band. Seriously, were you that desperate for wages?

Jesus, Vampire Weekend and Oasis were touring together?

I think just Vampire Weekend and Oasis.

That would make me feel less bad about turning the Space Laser on them.

Hitler is a little upset about the split.....

This may not be the place for this...but Bruno Ganz's performance in Der Untergang is absolutely ASTOUNDING.