Another really crappy list

Listened to some of this on Sunday... predictably mediocre. 102.1 used to be a great radio station, I grew up on it that was how I first heard The Clash and so many others....ummmm, I guess that was a long time ago. Always been billed as "the" alternative station in Toronto but lately they play the same mainstream sets as everyone else, same beer advertisers, etc etc.

Anyway, not a single tune here from Wilco, UT, Pavement, Sonic Youth, Elvis C., Yo La Tengo. One Beck song. Nothing from Nas, Biggie, Fugees. Barely an independent label band to be found. Even Canadian bands are grossly underrepresented.

:jerkit Epic Fail

D'oh. Here's the link..

http://www.edge.ca/Music/Countdowns/Top200ofThe90s.aspx

Listened to some of this on Sunday... predictably mediocre. 102.1 used to be a great radio station, I grew up on it that was how I first heard The Clash and so many others....ummmm, I guess that was a long time ago. Always been billed as "the" alternative station in Toronto but lately they play the same mainstream sets as everyone else, same beer advertisers, etc etc.

Anyway, not a single tune here from Wilco, UT, Pavement, Sonic Youth, Elvis C., Yo La Tengo, nothing from Nas, Biggie, Fugees. Barely an independent label band to be found. Even Canadian bands are grossly underrepresented.

:jerkit Epic Fail

Without seeing the list it is hard to say, but I'll bet there is some Tragically Hip, Moist, and maybe the Andrew Goode Band on there somewhere.

oh yeah! Matthew Goode encapsulates all that is terrible about 90s cancon.

Too bad. That station used to be amazing ---- circa 1980.

It took a lot to get past Dave Marsden’s ego, but this station was responsible for me liking music, period.

On top of that they were still broadcasting from Brampton on a weakass signal that made reception in Don Mills problematic. When it camethrough, it was like this double super secret collection of music thatnobody else was playing and only weekly trips to the Record Peddlerhelp assuage. The Spirit of Radio.

oh yeah! Matthew Goode encapsulates all that is terrible about 90s cancon.

Too bad. That station used to be amazing ---- circa 1980.

It took a lot to get past Dave Marsden’s ego, but this station was responsible for me liking music, period.

On top of that they were still broadcasting from Brampton on a weakass signal that made reception in Don Mills problematic. When it camethrough, it was like this double super secret collection of music thatnobody else was playing and only weekly trips to the Record Peddlerhelp assuage. The Spirit of Radio.

Yep.... Small world, I grew up near York Mills & DVP. Would have gone to the same h.s. the guys from Rush went to, but went to alternative school downtown instead. What an awful fucking suburb. I started listening to The Spirit Of Radio around `79 when I was 14. I mean, even the classic rock stations were pretty decent back then, but 102 was way more exciting than listening to Chum or Q107. Must've been in the 90's all the stations realized you had to play Nirvana, Radiohead, Oasis, The Verve, or die. Then they all became clones of each other. I guess Alan Cross' show is the last good thing they have, but it's more nostalgic-retro than groundbreaking.

I still think Toronto doesn't have much soul.

What is the saddest is that, among those 200 songs, there are only about 75 bands represented.

Yep.... Small world, I grew up near York Mills & DVP. Would have gone to the same h.s. the guys from Rush went to, but went to alternative school downtown instead. What an awful fucking suburb. I started listening to The Spirit Of Radio around `79 when I was 14. I mean, even the classic rock stations were pretty decent back then, but 102 was way more exciting than listening to Chum or Q107. Must've been in the 90's all the stations realized you had to play Nirvana, Radiohead, Oasis, The Verve, or die. Then they all became clones of each other. I guess Alan Cross' show is the last good thing they have, but it's more nostalgic-retro than groundbreaking.

I still think Toronto doesn't have much soul.

Ahh, my parents still live up by Donalda.

Think the most electrifying thing I heard on there was the night of Lennon's death. Marsden could not keep it together and basically bled out on air, playing this, that and everything that reminded him of Lennon.

I could have just about written this list without even looking at it first. Exactly what I expected from a corporate radio station (which I assume it is because that is all about that exists anymore).

Thank god for College radio.

This list was compiled from polling their listeners, who seem to be down a few brain cells. I get why Misunderstood and Via Chicago aren't there...Wilco never got airplay. I just can't fathom how Fake Plastic Trees isn't even on that list. That had to be one of the 10 best 'new rock songs' of the decade, no matter how you slice it.

The list completely ignores bands that had a fair bit of radio success in the US... Garbage, The Breeders, Sleater-Kinney. Too alternative I guess. lol

The fact of the matter is, most people don't dig that deep in the mix so of course a song like "Creep" will be on here and not "fake plastic trees". I used to think our band could go into a bar and play some really cool but more obscure songs and people would eat it up. Not true. If you play "Fake plastic flowers" you might get a few nods of approval, but the minute you start playing "Creep" you are going to always get a bigger reaction. For so many people, the only exposure they get to music is from radio and these are the songs that got airlplay.

The fact of the matter is, most people don't dig that deep in the mix so of course a song like "Creep" will be on here and not "fake plastic flowers". I used to think our band could go into a bar and play some really cool but more obscure songs and people would eat it up. Not true. If you play "Fake plastic flowers" you might get a few nods of approval, but the minute you start playing "Creep" you are going to always get a bigger reaction. For so many people, the only exposure they get to music is from radio and these are the songs that got airlplay.

Fake Plastic Trees you mean?

We listened to some of this while driving home from a friends cottage on Sunday. It was a fairly predictable list, nevertheless it was nice to hear some long gone Canadian bands like the Killjoys.

Lenny Kravitz has three songs on that list, REM has one. That's fucked up. A big 0 for Phish as well.

I gotta stop obsessing about this. :unsure

Fake Plastic Trees you mean?

Yes, thank you, I fixed it! That's one problem I have with how I listen to music now. I mostly burn from my computer to a disc and I never know the damn names to any songs!