New Drive-By Truckers

No he didn't, which is good because I don't drink, but how could I say no to the man? It was a one off show, a make up from when he was sick earlier in the year. I think they were heading back to Athens that night. Oh yeah they closed with "Angels and Fuselage," and it was just about perfect.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I think our own E Sue, who accompanied me, is now a convert. Got the 3 day pass for the Athens residency as well. Come on January.

They fucking rocked, and yes, I am a convert. :rock

Thanks again for the ticket, Greg! How often do you get to rock out that close to the band and improve your blackjack skills on the same day?? Good times. :cheers

Edit: Here's one of the pics I took...they all turned out pretty blurry, but this one shows what a great spot we had. :lol

dbt1.jpg

Very cool...always fun to convert. Full disclosure, if you are a music fan and not converted by seeing a DBT show, are you really a music fan? These guys are true professionals. My first time seeing them live was just after Dirty South was released. I think my mouth was open for a good portion of the show.

Very cool...always fun to convert. Full disclosure, if you are a music fan and not converted by seeing a DBT show, are you really a music fan? These guys are true professionals. My first time seeing them live was just after Dirty South was released. I think my mouth was open for a good portion of the show.

they really are a professional band much the way wilco is. not calculated, but concise and very well-played. despite the 'bar band' image, these guys make it look easy to be really really good.

Oh yeah they closed with "Angels and Fuselage," and it was just about perfect.

What a haunting and beautiful song that is, gives me goosebumps every time. These guys are at the top of my must see list, can't believe I have never caught them live yet. I would love to get a picture with Patterson but would never have the guts to ask, I'm envious.

I also really appreciate that they don't work from a setlist. At one point Cooley actually asked the audience what they wanted to hear. He complied with a smoking "Marry Me."

The first time I saw them was New Year's Eve 2004 at the Bowery Ballroom. I had heard only one DBT song but was in the city to see Wilco, so I thought what the hell. And thus began my obsession. Still one of the best shows I've ever seen.

(Side note: This is the show that prompted me to start wearing earplugs. :D )

(Side note: This is the show that prompted me to start wearing earplugs. :D )

QFT. I had seen them once before, actually, and was NOT converted. It was the loudest show I've ever been to, and full of redneck fans who just seemed like they wanted to fight, or 'git 'er done'. :hmm The Charleston show was a much better experience despite the weird crowd.

QFT. I had seen them once before, actually, and was NOT converted. It was the loudest show I've ever been to, and full of redneck fans who just seemed like they wanted to fight, or 'git 'er done'. :hmm The Charleston show was a much better experience despite the weird crowd.

You know, I did see them in Nashville once. They were great but there were a lot of 'big elbows' in the crowd.

• 1 month later...

I just found out my next door neighbor of the last 10 years grew up with and is good friends with David Hood. In fact he is the godparent of her kids. Then she happens to mention that Patterson Hood stayed at her house last time he was in town, meaning Patterson Hood was staying right next door to my house and I didn't even know it. WTF? She really has no idea how popular Drive by Truckers are and was surprised I even heard of them (she does not actually care for their music). We have had dinner together, her kids stay the night at our house, how is it I did not know about this! She knows I'm in a band, we abuse the neighborhood regularly with our music. WTF?

It's funny, she mentioned that David used to be worried about Patterson because he did not think Patterson was very good at music and then suddenly things clicked for him. I will be hitting her up for more stories very shortly.

The good news is now that she knows I'm a huge fan, she has promised prime tickets next time they are in town.

:dancing

I need to figure out a way to lure him to my basement for a jam session.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of the few bands where I try to buy their new records on release day. Looking forward to hearing what the latest incarnation of the band comes up with.

• 3 weeks later...