New Drive-By Truckers

Why is it a shame? Is it not a good thing to encourage people to clean up their act?

Oh no, I agree it is.  It's a "shame" in that that's what caused the friction in the band and led to his departure.  The albums he was a part of are DBTs at their best, IMO.

But yes, the end result is that Jason is sober now and making terrific music on his own.  And Patterson/Cooley sound great on the new album (working my way through it now).

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no, I agree it is.  It's a "shame" in that that's what caused the friction in the band and led to his departure.  The albums he was a part of are DBTs at their best, IMO.

But yes, the end result is that Jason is sober now and making terrific music on his own.  And Patterson/Cooley sound great on the new album (working my way through it now).

:thumbup  

With the penchant for bands to NEVER say anything bad about past or current band members and to gloss over problems, thing must have gotten pretty bad.

Shonna apparently almost Yoko'ed the band.

Good read...

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/02/drive-by-truckers-southern-storytelling.html

That's nice article.  So is this one from Grantland's Steven Hyden.

http://grantland.com/features/drive-by-truckers-carry-on/

Can one of you DBT experts school me on which songs are sung by Cooley and which by Patterson on this new one? I downloaded it, so I don't have liner notes to help me. Apparently, one guy sometimes sings a song the other guy wrote, adding to the confusion. Thanks...

Can one of you DBT experts school me on which songs are sung by Cooley and which by Patterson on this new one? I downloaded it, so I don't have liner notes to help me. Apparently, one guy sometimes sings a song the other guy wrote, adding to the confusion. Thanks...

Cooley sings one of Patterson's songs on this new album ("Til He's Dead or Rises"). It's the only time in DBT's history this has happened. Otherwise, they sing what they have written. And it's easy to tell them apart.

On the new one, Cooley sings Shit Shots Count, Primer Coat, Made Up English Oceans, Hearing Jimmy Loud, Til He's Dead or Rises, Natural Light & First Air of Autumn.  Patterson sings the others.

Here's who sings what Mr. Heartbreak:

01 - Shit Shots Count (Cooley)
02 - When He's Gone (Hood)
03 - Primer Coat (Cooley)
04 - Pauline Hawkins (Hood)
05 - Made Up English Oceans (Cooley)
06 - The Part of Him (Hood)
07 - Hearing Jimmy Loud (Cooley)
08 - Til He's Dead or Rises (Cooley)
09 - Hanging On (Hood)
10 - Natural Light (Cooley)
11 - When Walter Went Crazy (Hood)
12 - First Air of Autumn (Cooley)
13 - Grand Canyon (Hood)

I remember going through the same exercise when I first discovered DBT. And when I first heard Uncle Tupelo and having to figure out Farrar and Tweedy.  :D

This reminds me completely of the UT experience.  And Cooley reminds me a bit of Jay, only a little better, I think. Something about the inflection...

This one is pretty damn nice....

the worst part of that article is the live photo selection they chose to run. :D

Those are yours, aren't they. They have your feel to them.

Just picked up the album and got a wristband that gets me in to see them at twist and shout record store in Denver on record store day. Also gets me in line to get something signed. Thinking I will get a vinyl Dirty South for them to sign. At 45 I always feel a little douchey getting stuff signed but oh well. Want that one on vinyl anyways.

Am I going to need ear plugs, seeing these guys in a theatre setting? :lol

I saw them in a small-ish general admission type of place and I wish I had brought ear plugs. My ears were still ringing a day later. Very loud. (I know, I know. I am starting to sound like a geezer: you darn kids with your loud rock and/or roll music! get off my lawn!).

I saw them in a small-ish general admission type of place and I wish I had brought ear plugs. My ears were still ringing a day later. Very loud. (I know, I know. I am starting to sound like a geezer: you darn kids with your loud rock and/or roll music! get off my lawn!).

I'll be 50 this year, and have seen my share of loud shows. I have tinnitus, so I appreciate the heads up...especially since I don't wanna make it worse. Plenty of younger folks with it, too, and it is no laughing matter. Even standard disposable ear plugs beat having nothing at all! Thanks.