New Drive-By Truckers

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that we live in a country where a band called Drive-By Truckers has written a song firmly in support of the Black Lives Matter movement.

As DBT said, it's the dichotomy of the southern thing. I'm thinking about taking a knee during the banner @ the Seahawks game tomorrow. We're playing SF. The Seahawks are doing the interlocking arms things though.

I listened to the entire interview. Thoroughly enjoyed all 60+ minutes. These guys are in a really good space right now. Looking forward to hearing the complete album. Loved hearing how this album came together in just a few days. The songs are just flowing out of these guys. After I finished I put on English Oceans. It's a great time to be a DBT fan.

First part of the interview turned out to be them talking about the Replacements. Hood's a big fan. A nice treat, except they made me feel old when both of them said they'd never seen the 'Mats with Bob Stinson. Ouch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^^  Maybe. But I think it was more of addition by subtraction -- I'm looking at you, the former Mrs. Isbell. 

Listened to Brighter than Creations Dark last night.  That is a great, great album.  It is way too long though.  Shonna's songs really slow it down as do one or two Hood songs.  Cooly is on fire though.  I have to say, I really miss Neff.  His pedal steel and lead guitar additions were excellent.  I also miss Shonna's bass playing.  She really had that bottom thud that suits the band, but also you can hear the strings.  It's not some drone.  I've not been able to hear the new bassist at all on the last two albums and live.  I do prefer a defined bass sound though.  

Ramon Casiano is great. Some great sounds all throughout the record. The lyrics overall are a little too preachy for my taste. 

What did you expect?  DBT has made no bones about being quite liberal...especially for the south.  Really, what's it gonna take to get people thinking?  Ironically, this record will only serve to entrench conservative fans' views even more.  

I have to say that I am forever grateful for their music and message.  I'm a yankee who came to Atlanta, Georgia in the late 90s. Not only am I not scared of Black folks anymore, I'm also aware of the duality of southern thing.  The south has it's shadow side, but has suffered quite a bit and has not recovered...to some extent.  It's as if the south is supposed to fix all of the nation's problems.  Of course more could be said.  The music has really opened my mind.  I was ready for it though.

What did you expect?  DBT has made no bones about being quite liberal...especially for the south.  Really, what's it gonna take to get people thinking?  Ironically, this record will only serve to entrench conservative fans' views even more.  

I have to say that I am forever grateful for their music and message.  I'm a yankee who came to Atlanta, Georgia in the late 90s. Not only am I not scared of Black folks anymore, I'm also aware of the duality of southern thing.  The south has it's shadow side, but has suffered quite a bit and has not recovered...to some extent.  It's as if the south is supposed to fix all of the nation's problems.  Of course more could be said.  The music has really opened my mind.  I was ready for it though.

It has nothing to do with Liberal or Conservative. I just think it's way too preachy. "What It Means" is a doozy of an eye-roller.

"Puttin' People On The Moon" could be considered a great political song. "Sands Of Iwo Jima" and "Used To Be A Cop" also. But I like them cause their sympathetic, mini stories about characters. They don't seem as cliched. Songs like "Zip City", "Space City", "Danko/Manuel", "Ronnie & Neil", "Decoration Day", "Where's Eddie", "Pulaski", "Primer Coat", I could go on.

Yes, great interview.  Loved reading about how Jason joined the band.  Would've never thought this line up has been the most stable.  I live in Atlanta, so I know the Star Bar etc. Patterson or Cooley usually do a Dec residency at a local acoustic venue.  Bitter Southerner is always involved.  It's a great blog.  A little romantic, but a breath of fresh air.

Preach on!  :thumbup

Edit---thoughts on Jason's solo output?  I kind of lost track after the first solo album.  I know his last two have been pretty big.