Someone at Best Buy must've messed up on the pricing

Yea...I caved and ordered this thing.

I'm in the midst of a heavy jazz discovery phase, and I'm pretty much taking whatever CDs or LPs I can find cheap. I haven't dug too deep into Coltrane (I've only heard Love Supreme and Interstellar Space) but $13 for five loaded discs of (presumably) good jazz is pretty damn hard to pass up.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea...I caved and ordered this thing.

I'm in the midst of a heavy jazz discovery phase, and I'm pretty much taking whatever CDs or LPs I can find cheap. I haven't dug too deep into Coltrane (I've only heard Love Supreme and Interstellar Space) but $13 for five loaded discs of (presumably) good jazz is pretty damn hard to pass up.

I more or less agree, having gotten it too...

But it is like, do I buy Summerteeth or the collected works of Titanic Love Affair?? Both have Jay Bennett on them.

Needless to say, as these disks trickle in and we listen to them it gives us something to talk about other than are the Beatles overrated.

LouieB

just received the box set today...beautiful packaging. $11.99 was a complete steal!

I got mine too...They must have produced way to many of these because I concur the packaging is really nice. It also has extensive notes (a small book) written by Ashley Kahn who wrote an excellent book on the Kind of Blue sessions (which I read and recommend) and a similar book on the Love Supreme sessions (which I didn't.) The notes give details on each album the material is taken from and the circumstances under which each was recorded, including the pros and cons of each. I have three of the LPs this material is taken from, but there is alot more that I don't have, so that is cool. I am going to guess that people will have mixed reactions to the actual music. There is alot from the works of Gene Ammons, who is a Chicago tenor player (Von Freeman gets a shout out in the notes)that may not be to some people's taste, but I think the Red Garland may be good. Some of the other sessions are with musicians who are no longer famous. The notes put alot of this in perspective.

Anyway, it is a great deal. The promotional material with it gives alot of albums that have Coltrane on it on Prestige, and there are alot!! For such a short life, Trane sure played his ass off. Considering this is not even his major work, there are dozens of albums to choose from. In addition to these sides where he was the sideman there are also many albums where he was the leader and as someone else pointed out there is a box set for this too. The placement of the CDs in the box, only so so, but I have seen worse.

For those wanting some of this material on LP, I would think most of it is still in print as reissues and it is not hard to find some of these titles used.

I go on the road next week so I will take this with me so we speak of it further....

LouieB

Good enough, but not exactly first rate.

LouieB

Even though this stuff isn't the big grand artisitc statments Coltrane would go on to produce, to dismiss the material here is crazy. I got mine and I'd say the material is all first rate. Somewhere in the book they quote Sonny Rollins as saying "Coltrane was always Coltrane to me. It's the critics who divide carrers up into stages".

In fact, after recieving my copy I want to go on record as saying this is best thread in the history of Via Chicago!! I am so glad I own this I'm now going to get the "Fearless Leader" box. These guys sure know how to put together a box set. Great stuff.

Even though this stuff isn't the big grand artisitc statments Coltrane would go on to produce, to dismiss the material here is crazy. I got mine and I'd say the material is all first rate. Somewhere in the book they quote Sonny Rollins as saying "Coltrane was always Coltrane to me. It's the critics who divide carrers up into stages".

I don't think LouieB was dismissing the material. I just think he was informing Coltrane newbies that this might not be the place to start. I do like Rollins' quote, though.

LouieB

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

I am not dissing the young John Coltrane and I am certainly not dissing the completists here (I have spent most of my adult life trying to collect every Coltrane LP I can get my hands on), but if you are looking for some enlightenment about what the fuss is about, this really isn't the place to start. Coltrane with Monk and Miles is the place to start and there are literally dozens of those. Don't forget Blue Train, on Blue Note, which you can play over and over and hear new stuff.

In fact, after recieving my copy I want to go on record as saying this is best thread in the history of Via Chicago!! I am so glad I own this I'm now going to get the "Fearless Leader" box. These guys sure know how to put together a box set. Great stuff.

i was about to say the same thing, imsjry. this is the best thread in via chicago history! i usually just lurk the site and hardly post, but i've let my guard down a little on this thread! anyway, we should look out for each other for deals like this. that's why i was offering up the bootleg in my earlier post.

You can get that from an Amazon private seller for $14.49. The Interplay box sells for a similar price through Amazon sellers.

I got my Side Steps box on Saturday. A bargain at twice the price. So far I've only listened to the first disk. Good stuff!

Nope never said this stuff wasn't worth having. These are blowing sessions, so there is bound to be some good stuff here. Just think some is better than others, that's all. I'll stand by my statement that if you want to hear what the fuss is about, it is better to hear Trane as a leader or some of the Miles.

LouieB

This thread is breaking my bank! I just ordered the "Fearless Leader" box set.

Did you find another ultra cheap set, or what? How much is this one going for.

(Again if you are spending the dough, buy the Atlantic box....)

LouieB

Did you find another ultra cheap set, or what? How much is this one going for.

(Again if you are spending the dough, buy the Atlantic box....)

LouieB

Yeah, i got the 'Fearless Leader' box set new from amazon for $13.99.

Thank goodness the music industry is in trouble. Their troubles are our gain. I just ordered this too and at less than 20 bucks also a deal. I do have a few of these on LP, but what the heck.

LouieB

Thank goodness the music industry is in trouble. Their troubles are our gain. I just ordered this too and at less than 20 bucks also a deal. I do have a few of these on LP, but what the heck.

LouieB

Yeah, i think i'm gonna go ahead and order "Interplay" from amazon...you can get that new for $12.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Interplay-John-Coltrane/dp/B000ULQVCA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1255704239&sr=8-2