Someone at Best Buy must've messed up on the pricing

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. That's obviously a great price. But I don't know that I trust ordering it.

I've read of cases like this before, and once the store realizes the error, they won't honor the mistaken price. However, I'm not sure how that'd work online via card. Did anyone actually order this one, and confirm that they charged $12, not $60?

Well, all I know is my order confirmation says $14.36 total so they better honer it. Otherwise, it was worth a shot....

Well, all I know is my order confirmation says $14.36 total so they better honer it. Otherwise, it was worth a shot....

Hmm. If that's what the confirmation says, then I guess they couldn't charge you the real price when it's fixed. Also, the product page there only says it's one disc. So there appears to be quite a mixup there.

I'm a bit leery of ordering it, though. But it seems like a sweet box set...

Hmm. That's obviously a great price. But I don't know that I trust ordering it.

I've read of cases like this before, and once the store realizes the error, they won't honor the mistaken price. However, I'm not sure how that'd work online via card. Did anyone actually order this one, and confirm that they charged $12, not $60?

This happened to me once before. I ordered Coltrane's Impulse Albums Volume 1 box set (see below) a year or two ago from Best Buy.com. $11.99, and they honored the price. I told a friend who owns a used record store about it, and he ordered several to re-sell in his store at a mark-up. :lol They honored the price for him, too.

834662c9-eb62-4611-a422-d02018b3efcb.jpg

This time around, my full price after tax and shipping was $14.64.

To give proper credit, I found out about both of these deals on the All About Jazz forum. Nobody over there has reported being charged more than the advertised price, or having their order canceled.

Also, the product page there only says it's one disc.

That was the case with the Coltrane Impulse box I ordered, too. I was a bit suspicious then, but I received the 5 cd box set. I don't know if this is some sort of insider shenanigans in their pricing/web department, or if it's just a legit deal they throw out from time to time.

ALSO, PLEASE NOTE: Please read the description of the box set. In case it's not clear, this is NOT a collection of Coltrane albums. It is a collection of his work on albums by OTHER artists. AND, it does not include his work on Miles Davis' Prestige albums. You can read a full description here:

http://100greatestjazzalbums.blogspot.com/2009/10/john-coltrane-side-steps.html#

earlier this year, i was able to get the $105 Goodbye, Babylon box set from a third-party amazon.com seller that mistakenly had it listed at 7.99. my thinking is that it should have been 97.99 and it was sealed and brand new. either way, they honored it... deal of the century if you ask me.

http://www.amazon.com/Goodbye-Babylon-Various-Artists/dp/B0000DBOCB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1254922569&sr=8-1

-justin

You occasionally get some strange pricings in i-tunes (in the UK at least). I picked up the complete Miles Davies/John Coltrane (about 135 tracks) for 79p. In a different genre you could also pick up the complete 'Queensryche' back catalogue (apart from the last two albums) for about £5.

Thanks for the head's up. I went ahead and ordered it. Coltrane is one of my big discoveries of the year (I know, I'm a little behind...), so I've been planning to order a few more of his albums.

Cool! That other Coltrane box I ordered shipped really fast. Hopefully this one will, too.

Coltrane is a fun discovery. There's so much to explore.

Judging by the track listing of this box, you might be discovering a number of other artists. I know I will. Many of the albums in this box are by artists whose names I'm familiar with, but whose music I don't believe I've heard (Elmo Hope, for instance).

Thanks for the head's up. I went ahead and ordered it. Coltrane is one of my big discoveries of the year (I know, I'm a little behind...), so I've been planning to order a few more of his albums.

The material on this set is very early stuff, so don't expect the Coltrane that everyone talks about. That could be the reason it is so cheap. It appears to be Coltrane mainly as a sideman on Prestige (and maybe some other associated labels.) That doesn't mean it isn't worth the money (it is particuarly at THIS price since it is going for more on Amazon), but it won't be in the same league as some of his work with Miles, Monk, or certainly his material on Atlantic or Impulse. Lots of standards here. Good enough, but not exactly first rate.

For those of you really wanting full strengh look around for a good used box set of either the Atlantic records or the Impulse studio recordings. That will keep you busy for years to come. This may begin to bore you soon.

(Having said this, I ordered it too..... :lol I mean $15 bucks you can't go wrong. Let's hope this isn't a dummy website mascarading as Best Buy collecting credit card info... :ohwell )

LouieB

I'm pretty sure that pricing is accurate and you guys are good to go.

That's the third box set of Coltrane-related Prestige tunes I have seen. I have two of them, though not this one: Interplay (available on Amazon for 14.99) and Fearless Leader (available on Amazon for 15.58). Not quite as cheap as Best Buy, but close.

Louie is right, these are not the amazing, classic Coltrane of My Favorite Things or Sun Ship, but it's good stuff: solid 50s jazz, well recorded, with great players.

it won't be in the same league as some of his work with Miles, Monk, or certainly his material on Atlantic or Impulse. Lots of standards here.

Yeah, that's true. My absolute favorite Coltrane is his work with Monk. This box appeals to me because I over listened to his work with the Elvin Jones version of the quartet for the last several years. Not to take anything away from Elvin, who is amazing, but my time spent listening to Coltrane lately is mostly pre-Impulse, pre-Elvin Jones releases, and the occaisional post-Elvin album.

Also, aside from his great work with Miles and Monk, I've heard very little of Trane as a sidemen.

My order shipped yesterday, by the way.

Someone on the All About Jazz forum broke down exactly what is on this box, and here it is:

Complete Albums

Elmo Hope: Informal Jazz

Tadd Dameron with John Coltrane: Mating Call

Mal Waldron: Mal/2

Red Garland: All Mornin' Long

Red Garland: Soul Junction

Red Garland: High Pressure

Incomplete Albums

Ray Draper: Featuring John Coltrane (5/6)

Sonny Rollins: Tenor Madness (1/5)

Gene Ammons: The Big Sound (1/4)

Gene Ammons: Groove Blues (3/4)

Red Garland: Dig It! (2/4)

Mal Waldron: The Dealers (2/4)

The reason for incomplete albums is that Coltrane does not appear on all the tracks on those albums.

I have big hunks of this box set on various LPs, but again at the price this is hard to beat. (Trane played in the Dizzy Gillespie Big Band at one point too....) I know I have Mating Call, at least one of the Gene Ammons and one or more of the Red Garland. Meanwhile Tenor Madness with Sonny Rollins is a classic, in any event, and first rate.

LouieB

The material on this set is very early stuff, so don't expect the Coltrane that everyone talks about. That could be the reason it is so cheap. It appears to be Coltrane mainly as a sideman on Prestige (and maybe some other associated labels.) That doesn't mean it isn't worth the money (it is particuarly at THIS price since it is going for more on Amazon), but it won't be in the same league as some of his work with Miles, Monk, or certainly his material on Atlantic or Impulse. Lots of standards here. Good enough, but not exactly first rate.

I'm not expecting to be blown away. In the spring, I read Eric Nisenson's (spelling?) Coltrane biography, and I'm interested in listening to his work as a sideman to hear the first hints of what was to come. I'm pretty sure I could spend years on just Ornette Coleman and Coltrane. Being overwhelmed by jazz has been what's scared me away from it in the past, but I feel more comfortable taking my time to wander around this time.

My copy is on its way, too. Hopefully it will arrive in time for my drive to Chicago next week!

I'm not expecting to be blown away. In the spring, I read Eric Nisenson's (spelling?) Coltrane biography, and I'm interested in listening to his work as a sideman to hear the first hints of what was to come. I'm pretty sure I could spend years on just Ornette Coleman and Coltrane. Being overwhelmed by jazz has been what's scared me away from it in the past, but I feel more comfortable taking my time to wander around this time.

My copy is on its way, too. Hopefully it will arrive in time for my drive to Chicago next week!

Being overwhelmed by jazz is easy, since there is alot of it. Listening to this is fine, but frankly if you are already overhwlemed it would be far better to get the Atlantic box set (way more money, but not that much more...$50 for 7 CDs) or the Impulse studio recordings (quite a bit more, but less than $100 for 8 disks) and give those disks some serious listening. On these 15 disks are some of the best music in history, period.

I am not dissing the young John Coltrane and I am certainly not dissing the completists here (I have spent most of my adult life trying to collect every Coltrane LP I can get my hands on), but if you are looking for some enlightenment about what the fuss is about, this really isn't the place to start. Coltrane with Monk and Miles is the place to start and there are literally dozens of those. Don't forget Blue Train, on Blue Note, which you can play over and over and hear new stuff.

Just trying to help out here, rather than discourage you. (and I love talking about jazz obviously...) Most of this will be pretty good background music if you have a hot date or something, but very little of it will be worth coming back to repeatedly, not when you can spin Giant Steps, Love Supreme, Kind of Blue or dozens of other really great Coltrane disks, which feature him in a better light. (Let's not forget the live disk with Monk that came out a couple years ago...yikes, it is scary good....)Check this stuff out and then ask those near and dear to you for some of the keystone recordings or box sets for the holidays and you will have a lifetime of enjoyment at your fingertips.

Also Coltrane bios are a cottage industry (there are many on Da Capo for some reason), so you can read all kinds of stuff about him too. Do you have the original Instellar Space??

LouieB

I recently downloaded a 12 disc live set of Coltrane called Live Train Underground". It's sick! If anybody is interested in this you can PM me.

DISC 1

Miles Davis Quintet, 1960:

Unknown venue, probably West Germany

between March 21 and April 10, 1960

DISC 2

John Coltrane Quintet

Olympia Theatre, Paris, Nov. 18, 1961

DISC 3

Olympia Theatre Paris Nov. 18, 1961

Konserthuset Stockholm Nov. 23, 1961, second set

Auditorium Maximum Freie University Berlin, West Germany Dec. 2, 1961

DISC 4

Falkonercentret Copenhagen, Denmark Nov. 20, 1961

DISC 5

Kulttuuritalo Helsinki, Finland Nov. 22, 1961

Sudwestfunk TV Studio Baden-Baden, West Germany Nov. 24, 1961

DISC 6

Kongresshalle Frankfurt am Main West Germany Nov. 27, 1961

Liederhalle Stuttgart Nov. 29, 1961

DISC 7

John Coltrane Quartet, 1962:

Falkonercentret, Copenhagen, Denmark, Nov. 22, 1962

DISC 8

John Coltrane Quartet, 1962:

Falkonercentret, Copenhagen, Denmark, Nov. 22, 1962--continued

Stefaniensall, Graz, Nov. 28, 1962

DISC 9

Showboat, Philadelphia, June (possibly 10, 17, or 24) 1963

Tivoli Koncertsal, Copenhagen, Denmark, Oct. 25, 1963

DISC 10

Tivoli Koncertsal Copenhagen, Denmark Oct. 25, 1963--continued

Date and location uncertain (sometimes attributed to Paris,

DISC 11

Liederhalle, Stuttgart, Nov. 4, 1963

Nov. 1, 1963, but this probably is incorrect; may be from 1962)

DISC 12

Liederhalle, Stuttgart, Nov. 4, 1963--continued