Someone at Best Buy must've messed up on the pricing

At these prices there is no reason NOT to get these. A total steal.

Interplay looks okay too. What the heck...for 15 bucks I ordered this too...Now I have them all also (I just wonder if I will ever get around to playing all of them.)

LouieB

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's push this back to the top...

I have been listening to Side Tracks in my car. Most of it is pretty good, but some of the cuts are much better than others. All of it is pleasent. None compares to Coltrane's work on Atlantic or Impulse, but most of it is worth the time. All of it fits the mold of the time, blowing sessions which are made or broken by on the spot improvisation which is either inspired or insipid (and you can hear both on these) and standards which are either good or tired, and originals which can either be original or derivative. Again, some of both have caught my ear, while other parts have faded into the background. At times Trane sounds like everyone else and at others there is that spark that eventually made him famous. Interesting stuff.

My copies of the other two box sets got lost in a credit card change so I had to re-order. Looking forward to those too.

LouieB

Let's push this back to the top...

I have been listening to Side Tracks in my car. Most of it is pretty good, but some of the cuts are much better than others. All of it is pleasent. None compares to Coltrane's work on Atlantic or Impulse, but most of it is worth the time. All of it fits the mold of the time, blowing sessions which are made or broken by on the spot improvisation which is either inspired or insipid (and you can hear both on these) and standards which are either good or tired, and originals which can either be original or derivative. Again, some of both have caught my ear, while other parts have faded into the background. At times Trane sounds like everyone else and at others there is that spark that eventually made him famous. Interesting stuff.

My copies of the other two box sets got lost in a credit card change so I had to re-order. Looking forward to those too.

LouieB

i still need to order interplay to complete this set.

i still need to order interplay to complete this set.

I received Fearless Leader and Interplay yesterday. I started listening Fearless, which seems to be the best of the lot. If people don't have the last peice of the puzzle, the Miles Davis material with Coltrane, that is the next thing to get I think.

Although I have some of these albums on vinyl or CD, some of them are completely new to me.

LouieB

The session with Paul Quinichette, Black Pearls, and Dakar stand out for me. Especially the session Quinichette, because their playing is so different, yet it sounds great together. One item that I am surprised about these Prestige recordings is the presence of Mal Waldron throughout all the sessions. I was only familiar with Waldron with his work with Steve Lacy, it's nice to hear his playing in these Prestige sessions. Waldron's lead sessions stand out for me.

Legendary Prestige Quintet Sessions by Miles Davis is a great set. Chronicle: The Complete Prestige Recordings (1951-1956) was pretty much my introduction to jazz. I checked the set out of the library while I was in college and pretty much listened to it throughout a semester.

There is a two LP set of Prestige Material from 1949-50, which is also really good, documenting the change from bop to hard bop.

When you realize how much these guys played together, they must have been able read each others minds after awhile.

LouieB

Thanks to the amazing website Birkajazz.com, I have created a zip file of over 400 classic jazz album covers. I am just in awe of how great some of these are. You can fine the file on my blog if your interested.

As far of these Coltrane Prestige Box Sets go, I just got all three and am loving every second of them. My ONLY complaint is the separation of the original albums on the discs in keeping with the flow of the session dates. I get why it was done, but I'm a album guy for better or worse.

=

As far of these Coltrane Prestige Box Sets go, I just got all three and am loving every second of them. My ONLY complaint is the separation of the original albums on the discs in keeping with the flow of the session dates. I get why it was done, but I'm a album guy for better or worse.

I know what you are saying, but if you want the original albums then you should get those (and they do give the album order so you can program your CD player if you wish.). It actually makes far more sense to put them in order of the sessions for a box set like this. Most of these LPs were put out either as chunks of the original sessions and then the remainders of the sessions afterwards, so that the LPs would have odds and ends from various sessions, which also doesn't really make sense.

Considering they are stuffing 70 minutes of music on each disk and an original LP had maybe 35 to 40 minutes per disk, this is pretty good.

LouieB

Someone at Borders messed up the pricing on the CD version of Neil Young's The Archives Vol. 1 1963–1972. I was able to score it for a mere $13.49. :omg

item/description status qty each total

Neil Young Archives, Vol. 1: 1963-1972

by Neil Young

SKU: 093624996057

Compact Disc Backorder-Usually ships within 2 weeks. 1 $13.49 $13.49

Someone at Borders messed up the pricing on the CD version of Neil Young's The Archives Vol. 1 1963–1972. I was able to score it for a mere $13.49. :omg

by Neil Young

Thanks for coming here to rub it our faces.

I finally got around to listening to this Sunday and today. I'm really glad Best Buy had this at such a low price--it's not something I would've picked up had it been $40, but I'm really enjoying it.

Since we all started buying these box sets (including the excellent Fearless Leader) the prices have shot up. Bummer.

LouieB

by Neil Young

Online or at a store??

lol...that's funny. i can see them saying "hmmm, it's weird, this coltrane box set has been selling through the roof the past month or so...wonder how???"

Blame it on VC!!! :w00t :lol

These copies were all cut outs. Mine came with the bar codes scratched. Now that some of those copies have been sold the prices are back to "normal". Thanks to all who brought this to our attention. Key buys!! (Again they are far less valuable at $50, everything is relative.)

LouieB

These copies were all cut outs.

Interesting. I'll have to look at mine. My copy appeared to be perfect. I thought cutouts were for discontinued items. Side Steps is a new release.

Blame it on VC!!! :w00t :lol

These copies were all cut outs. Mine came with the bar codes scratched. Now that some of those copies have been sold the prices are back to "normal". Thanks to all who brought this to our attention. Key buys!! (Again they are far less valuable at $50, everything is relative.)

LouieB

yeah, the bar code was scratched out on mine as well.

Interesting. I'll have to look at mine. My copy appeared to be perfect. I thought cutouts were for discontinued items. Side Steps is a new release.

Sidesteps may be new, but something that just wasn't moving all that fast. Cut-outs are usually over stock or discontinued, and in this case I think overstock. Or maybe they had some copies laying around that were for critics that didn't get sent out and were sent into the retail market. Who knows, but we are the winners; 60 bucks for 16 disks...you can't beat that.

LouieB

by Neil Young

damn!

now it's out of stock.

when was that up for that price?