How I see it going down

That's what I love about the internets. Let's navel gaze and worry about something that MIGHT happen.

That's what I love about the internets. Let's completely miss someone's point and then criticize him for it.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After seeing the levels of humanity at the Palladim in Dallas, I can say that I don't fit in with the Wilco fanbase in you perfect little world. I'm pushing 50 and it's pushing back hard. I wear cargo pants. I wear baseball hats when its cold. The hair I have is decidedly grey. I need earplugs because of 30+ years of abuse. AND I LOVE THIS BAND. Even with the hipsters and the douches running amok at the shows, I will make the effort to be there.

I had one of the best concert experiences of my life at the Palladium...even having to fight through the iphone recorders, cools throwing elbows around and hippy dancing, people having been 'overserved' and the resulting, invetiable consequences.

I really wish folks could appreciate what we are seeing with this band and stop the hand wringing over some idealized band that never did and never will exist.

I'm gonna stand by my own experience, which is that every Wilco show I see* is better than the one I saw before. Once I'm disappointed in a show, I'll inform EVERYONE here via a shocking "OMG it's over!?#{:content:}quot; thread.

*for the record this includes 2 shows in '99 fwiw

I really wish folks could appreciate what we are seeing with this band and stop the hand wringing over some idealized band that never did and never will exist.

The Wilco Being There Tour did exsist. I was there in the front row, watching Tweedy trip and fall into the crowd, threaten to throw his guitar, scare me with his stares. I know we all put our own crap on perception, but there was an intensity in that band that did exsist. Hey I'm not had wringing, I'll be their fan till I leave this earth (most likely). I'm just saying the live act seems a little tired.

"The cancer" comes in many forms on these message boards, including a variant that causes one to be abrupt and dismissive without offering anything of value.

I thought there was great value in championing Wilco to provide their craft to us, not for us to cop the consumer has rights plea and demand they change to fit us.

I thought there was great value in championing Wilco to provide their craft to us, not for us to cop the consumer has rights plea and demand they change to fit us.

Not sure who you're referring to, but it ain't me.

And I'm not sure I see value in being an unquestioning fanboy.

After seeing the levels of humanity at the Palladim in Dallas, I can say that I don't fit in with the Wilco fanbase in you perfect little world. I'm pushing 50 and it's pushing back hard. I wear cargo pants. I wear baseball hats when its cold. The hair I have is decidedly grey. I need earplugs because of 30+ years of abuse. AND I LOVE THIS BAND. Even with the hipsters and the douches running amok at the shows, I will make the effort to be there.

I had one of the best concert experiences of my life at the Palladium...even having to fight through the iphone recorders, cools throwing elbows around and hippy dancing, people having been 'overserved' and the resulting, invetiable consequences.

What he said......

There are a couple of basic facts that are consistently lost in these discussions. It's not exclusive to Wilco or any other band, for that matter.

It is the element of time. Our time spent listening to the band all these years. And the time the band has spent playing for us all of these years. Time changes people. People fall in and out of love with stuff. The band has changed quite a bit since AM and Being There. Hell, AM was 15 years ago. If the edges have been smoothed a bit, so be it. Having seen the intensity in Dallas Friday, I'd say there's plenty of edge left. I also believe Nels has transformed the band. They are as musically rich and interesting as any band in the world today.

Not allowing Wilco to age, mature, and evolve into something new is a sure-fire ticket to frustration. I'm all for letting the boys be what they want to be....... I only ask that they please roll tape so I can dig on it later......

Guest Speed Racer

And I'm unsure how critiquing their every move improves their artistic value.

All of this "critiquing" and "demanding" you're seeing, I think most of us are seeing as discussion. What, exactly, on this board is here to improve the band's artistic value?

If you're not interested in participating in this particular discussion, there are other threads on the board that are currently active that you could participate in.

Not sure who you're referring to, but it ain't me.

And I'm not sure I see value in being an unquestioning fanboy.

Cryptique's codicil to Godwin's Law: Any iternet discussion of a current or former flavor of the month band will inevitably lead to the use of the phrase 'indie hipster' in defense of said current/former flavor of the month band.

Cryptique's second codicil to the Godwin Law: Every internet discussion about bands and their growth will lead to the use of the term 'fanboy'. :monkey

I can't really see it happening.. I mean they have no reason to. They're a great live band. and W(TA) wasn't as bad as you make it out to be. Just because it isn't a huge studio effort like YHF or AGIB doesn't mean you should write it off as not a great album.

And why does everyone here seem to hate Dave Matthews Band? They're a talented band, and Big Whiskey and the Groogrux King was a good record. I think they get a bad rap because of their mega-douche fanbase... just my 2 cents lol

I think playing live is really what energizes each member of the band, which is probably why this incarnation has lasted so long.

Yep. Methinks it's also what energizes many of us fans. It's also where the band makes most of their income, no?

Yep. Methinks it's also what energizes many of us fans. It's also where the band makes most of their income, no?

I agree, I'm hot for Wilco more than usual, wet panties and all, cause I'm lucky enough to have seen them 3 times last week...and will see them once this coming weekend in Chicago. They most likely will remain my fav band if they continue to rock and make it easy to see them in small venues. So, don't tell anyone you know about Wilco....

I watched Farm Aid last weekend and then read the reviews of the Memphis show and it seems Jeff may be getting tired of some of the absurdities of the road (whether it is following Gretchen Wilson or dealing with drunk/annoying fans). My dream scenario is that the entire band becomes disenchanted with the never ending tour, shuts it down, and labors in the studio for a few years. I mean cmon, I imagine the majority of us on here have seen wilco live close to 10 times. I think I've seen them on every tour except the current one. I will always go see Wilco if given the chance, but we all know it is getting a little predictable, losing its edge and the studio albums (at least the last one) seems like a collection of songs instead of a statement. This is my little dream for my favorite band.

I was @ Farm Aid @ don't think he was annoyed by following Redneck Woman...maybe he felt some of the newbies and lesser known bands should have gone before him, but who knows. They seemed to have a blast on stage. What pissed me off is that there was very few Wilco fans there. We sat close and I felt like we were the only fans...that, and the paper the next day hardly mentioned them. No flyers around town about it..nothing. But hell, even Jeff knows the majority of Farm Aid is going to like redneck singers more than Wilco.

I am not a redneck.

All of this "critiquing" and "demanding" you're seeing, I think most of us are seeing as discussion. What, exactly, on this board is here to improve the band's artistic value?

If you're not interested in participating in this particular discussion, there are other threads on the board that are currently active that you could participate in.

squawk

The great thing about Wilco is that they are a constantly evolving band. In terms of recorded output, I'd be amazed if they can put out anything as consistent and coherent as "Being There" , "Summerteeth" or "YHF" again. I attribute that simply to the fact that every great songwriter only has so many killer songs inside them. I love amongst others REM. Elvis Costello and Neil Young. When the aforementioned artists put out new albums I don't expect them to hit the heights of their respective purple patches. I think that Wilco's last three albums have been great additions to a fantastic body of work. Having seen them in Berkeley in June, I can only rave about their live work. At this point though I think they are due for an interesting musical detour whether it be live or on record. I think the level of success they have now attained means they could definitely afford to do this. One thing I'd love to see them do is incorporate a mini-suite from a particular album every few shows or so. Start the show with the first side of "YHF" or play four or five songs from "Summerteeth" in the middle of the set. Also, while I don't quibble with what songs form the core of their live shows, I definitely think they could switch up the order of songs played. Is there a rule that "I'm The Man Who Loves You" must end the main set and that either "I'm A Wheel" or "Hoodoo Voodoo" end the second encore etc. Also, having heard a dynamite version of "Don't Fear The Reaper" in 2004, I'd love to see more covers agin. Lastly, despite loving "Spiders", I am glad that it's recent absence has allowed two or three additional songs in the set. Nitpicking for sure.

The great thing about Wilco is that they are a constantly evolving band. In terms of recorded output, I'd be amazed if they can put out anything as consistent and coherent as "Being There" , "Summerteeth" or "YHF" again. I attribute that simply to the fact that every great songwriter only has so many killer songs inside them. I love amongst others REM. Elvis Costello and Neil Young. When the aforementioned artists put out new albums I don't expect them to hit the heights of their respective purple patches. I think that Wilco's last three albums have been great additions to a fantastic body of work. Having seen them in Berkeley in June, I can only rave about their live work. At this point though I think they are due for an interesting musical detour whether it be live or on record. I think the level of success they have now attained means they could definitely afford to do this. One thing I'd love to see them do is incorporate a mini-suite from a particular album every few shows or so. Start the show with the first side of "YHF" or play four or five songs from "Summerteeth" in the middle of the set. Also, while I don't quibble with what songs form the core of their live shows, I definitely think they could switch up the order of songs played. Is there a rule that "I'm The Man Who Loves You" must end the main set and that either "I'm A Wheel" or "Hoodoo Voodoo" end the second encore etc. Also, having heard a dynamite version of "Don't Fear The Reaper" in 2004, I'd love to see more covers agin. Lastly, despite loving "Spiders", I am glad that it's recent absence has allowed two or three additional songs in the set. Nitpicking for sure.

Let me see if I got this...you think Jeff Tweedy is a great songwriter but you want him to do more covers.

The internets...gotta love it.

Oh, now. I would like more covers too. Wilco is the most powerful band in America. It is enjoyable to hear them play great rock songs in their own style.

Let me see if I got this...you think Jeff Tweedy is a great songwriter but you want him to do more covers.

The internets...gotta love it.

I think if you could be arsed to read what I wrote I made a pretty clear distinction between what the band does in the studio and live. Since your comprehension skills are less than perfect, I'll state that I think it would be fun to hear Wilco throw in the occasional cover live like their Big Star cover in Memphis at the weekend.

I think if you could be arsed to read what I wrote I made a pretty clear distinction between what the band does in the studio and live. Since your comprehension skills are less than perfect, I'll state that I think it would be fun to hear Wilco throw in the occasional cover live like their Big Star cover in Memphis at the weekend.

Nah...I read your post. I really don't know what it means to be 'arsed'. I guess I have an arse. And I have been called as 'ass' (I'm american and get insulted in the american venacular).

Perspective. Have some perspective.

Jeff booted Jay from the band partially because he was unhappy. He has rejected experimentation for experimentations sake. (No more of the 'deconstruct the song' silliness). He seems to be happy with the band and its performances NOW. If you aren't, maybe the problem is not one that you will have a happy reconciliation with.

Covers should be special occassions...if they happen every show, inevitably there will be unhappiness with that.

Nah...I read your post. Another one of the handwringing "Wilco has betrayed me" missives.

Not at all. I guess a case of you reading into my comments what you want. Let me see. Wilco are one of my favourite bands. I rate Wilco as one of the best live bands playing today. Over the course of 15 years they have put together a brilliant body of work. The run of "Being There" through "YHF" including the Mermaid Avenue releases is as good as anything in that same time period. The last three records have been somewhere between good and excellent. I respect Wilco's respect for their audience. And I firmly believe they have the right to do anything they want.

Just can't give your own thoughts on Wilco on this board w/out somone being a dick hole...number one reason I rarely visit VC.

I agree on doing a few great covers live once in awhile. They did "Don't Fear The Reaper" (one of the best songs ever) during a soundcheck in KC & it was awesome. Of course it was thru a cell phone my friend held up to soundcheck, but still cool. I would love to hear a random cover from great bands at the live shows once in awhile..most great bands cover classics at some point.

Let's knock off all the baiting and personal attacks, folks. Maybe re-read the VC Rules and Regulations, which specifically prohibit both of these behaviors. I'd hate to have to start slinging suspensions around. Can we manage civilty and basic respect for other opinions? This alpha-dog one-upmanship gets so tiresome... and it's so damned childish besides! Please stop being so insultingly dismissive of each other. That doesn't exactly make VC a fun place, y'know?

Love,

kidsmoke

B)