How I see it going down

Let's knock off all the baiting and personal attacks, folks. Maybe re-read the VC Rules and Regulations, which specifically prohibit both of these behaviors. I'd hate to have to start slinging suspensions around. Can we manage civilty and basic respect for other opinions? This alpha-dog one-upmanship gets so tiresome... and it's so damned childish besides! Please stop being so insultingly dismissive of each other. That doesn't exactly make VC a fun place, y'know?

Love,

kidsmoke

B)

I still don't know what it means to be 'arsed'?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Covers should be special occassions...if they happen every show, inevitably there will be unhappiness with that.

I agree with this. I do believe that more often than not when a band starts doing a lot of covers they've found themselves in a rut regarding creating new material. Lord knows I saw enough of that with some of my favorite bands.

That said, can someone find JP so we can hear a "Ziggy Stardust"? :D

you can't "BE ARSED" - you can only ever "NOT BE ARSED". does that help in any way?

...do I need the babelfish translator for this?

I agree with this. I do believe that more often than not when a band starts doing a lot of covers they've found themselves in a rut regarding creating new material. Lord knows I saw enough of that with some of my favorite bands.

Funny, as I was scanning the last couple pages of this thread I thought, I'd love to hear the band do Diamond Dogs or Suffragette City. Would also love to hear Jeff and John harmonize on a song like In The Street. But as long as they're playing what they're into playing, I'm content to listen.

After hearing Edie's boot of Wilco doing Ziggy, I actually asked Jeff to do it before the Springfield show. He said, "No, no, no."

arsed = bothered

correct. although, like i said, you can only be it in a negative sense - so you can't use it in exactly the same way as "Bothered". because, you can say - "yes, i am bothered". but, if you replaced bothered for arsed, it wouldn't make sense. "yes, i am arsed" is wrong. very wrong.

is there a term for this type of word? anyone?

correct. although, like i said, you can only be it in a negative sense - so you can't use it in exactly the same way as "Bothered". because, you can say - "yes, i am bothered". but, if you replaced bothered for arsed, it wouldn't make sense. "yes, i am arsed" is wrong. very wrong.

Annoyingly pretentious?

Kind of like frat boys saying 'bloody'?

"transitive verb" comes to mind, but this isn't the typical usage of one.

Annoyingly pretentious?

In the U.K. this is everyday speech. I suppose it might be pretentious in the U.S., but not there.

Annoyingly pretentious?

I believe both arsed and bloody are kind of low class in the UK. And I for one LOVE seeing the queen's English here on the Internets. I can almost hear the accents when I read the words :wub

I believe both arsed and bloody are kind of low class in the UK. And I for one LOVE seeing the queen's English here on the Internets. I can almost hear the accents when I read the words :wub

bloody seems to cut across all the classes. it's how you say it which differs from class to class. "bloody hell!" is working class. "those bloody neighbours kids are making a bloody racket again!" is middle class. "you can't get the bloody staff these days" is upper class.

I think we have all decided Wilco's touring will end after terrible reviews complaining of the band's singing in faux British accents and swapping bizarre phrases such as "arse and bloody" instead of the normal lyrics.

It is a sad story.

• 2 weeks later...

No matter what, WIlco is simply kicking ass live.. they are so inventive, adding muscle and nuance to already great songs. I love it.

True. But I'd also like to see them do more covers. Maybe I Wanna Be Your Dog like they used to cover in UT. And when you think of all the musical talent that is in the group, the sky's the limit as far as covers go.

True. But I'd also like to see them do more covers. Maybe I Wanna Be Your Dog like they used to cover in UT. And when you think of all the musical talent that is in the group, the sky's the limit as far as covers go.

covers suck

Guest Speed Racer

I agree wholeheartedly, but I still would have loved to be at the 2004 Halloween shows where they busted out Don't Fear the Reaper. Or the 12-31-2004 show with Love Will Keep Us Together.

Covers as abberrations is a pleasant surprise. Covers as standards is not a Wilco show. It's a cover-band with Nels, Jeff, John, Glenn, Pat and Mike.