WILCO - 10/19/09 UIC Pavilion, Chicago Night #2

Also Jeff seems to be taking more leads and interesting leads at that.

This is one of the things that stands out most for me about Monday. I was blown away by Jeff's soloing last night. (And while I was certain I'd never forget which one was especially blazing...I have). When Jeff plays the solos "straight" (vs. with entertaining posing such as for the first ITMWLY solo), they're incredibly powerful. The posing is fun, but I'm glad to be able to see the serious delivery as well.

Anyway back to reality.....which frankly sucks this morning...

Seconded. Four hours of sleep is not enough before facing a full day of work. Nope.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night's show was as fantastic as previous posters are saying. It had a little bit of everything, and the closing rockers were effing fantastic. Go, rainbow SG!

The setlist had some nice surprises (Kamera, Nothingsevergonna..., Poor Places, etc.), and I was really happy to hear Country Disappeared live for the first time. I also never expected to hear Far, Far Away. As cool as it was to hear a Being There-era Wilco reference from Bono at Soldier Field, I much preferred last night's performance. (If only their Arena Rock Stage had included stairs, Jeff could have draped himself along them the way Bono did.)

I have virtually no ability to put together coherent sentences right now, but the overall vibe last night was overwhelmingly positive. Everyone seemed to be having a lot of genuine fun, and it was a real drag to drive back to reality in the wee hours of the morning.

Boy, this band is getting so tight! Such strong vocals, and they really work so well together. Great to see them, and great to see all the usual suspects, outside and jumping up and down in the crowd as well. Lots of crazy stuff going on in my life and in the world (the Balloon Boy was the last straw), this was just the tonic.

And watching Glenn for drumming tips (been playing for the last year or two) made me realize what a beast he is, and that watching him for tips is like trying to get Einstein to explain basic algebra. You'll still need a translator.

Thanks Hotel SnS for the hospitality. Loved what you've done with the alley!

Boy, this band is getting so tight! Such strong vocals, and they really work so well together. Great to see them, and great to see all the usual suspects, outside and jumping up and down in the crowd as well.

Not sure if you wound up watching/working the entire second show "from above," Johnny, but I couldn't help thinking when I spotted you up there with that tripod that you were lining some of us up in the crosshairs! :lol

Nice work on the posters, by the way! Glad you made the trip. Great to see you, as always. :cheers

Great to see you too, Paul. Too bad our breakfast times didn't overlap on Monday, but I had to just lay there till noon almost.

I shot time lapse stuff of the whole arena till about Wilco's third song, then slowly panned to the stage, and eventually couldn't take standing under the big AC vent for the whole arena anymore and came back downstairs. I think Richie got some really good images at these shows.

I would have loved to hang out with you guys after the show but I had to run because I hadn't eaten since lunch. I was also very thirsty since I didn't drink anything before the show either.

It was great seeing all of you, my Wilco friends! I can't wait for the next shows!

My brother Andrew sends his regards! He had to miss Monday night because his play, The History Boys, won 5 Jeff awards!!! :cheers

Love you all :rock

Johnny, the posters were killer! Great to see you again, and hope that some of those shot surface sooner or later. :cheers

I absolutely loved the show! I've seen Wilco quite a bit over the years...But I have to say the show was getting a little "formulaic" for me at times...I was thrilled to see them busting out a lot more, trying some new things. Felt like it was way more jammy & experimental than ever before. Hope that doesn't sound like a negative criticism, it is surely not as I have loved all the shows I've been to. It just feels like the band is at a whole new level. I like it when songs are not played exactly the way they sound on the album...So for example "Hate it Here" was done very creatively and the band breathed a whole different vibe into it...So I was TOTALLY 100% absolutely thrilled & stoked at the UIC Pavilion Night #1 show. I'm not sure why people are saying Night #2's set list was so much better...Whatever! I think they both rocked major ass! Over and out, Blossom

Guest Speed Racer

I'm not sure why people are saying Night #2's set list was so much better...Whatever! I think they both rocked major ass! Over and out, Blossom

Every show I go to, I look at the setlist for the next show and think, "DAMMIT! That was the better night!" The bottom line is that every Wilco set is full of Wilco songs and thereby awesome, and I wish I was at every show I wasn't at. Often, my expectations of shows are so great that I assume I will like the show I wasn't at more, because I can quantify my enjoyment of the show I was at; the show I wasn't at is still limitless potential enjoyment. If that makes sense. :lol

Every show I go to, I look at the setlist for the next show and think, "DAMMIT! That was the better night!" The bottom line is that every Wilco set is full of Wilco songs and thereby awesome, and I wish I was at every show I wasn't at. Often, my expectations of shows are so great that I assume I will like the show I wasn't at more, because I can quantify my enjoyment of the show I was at; the show I wasn't at is still limitless potential enjoyment. If that makes sense. :lol

Speed Racer, is your profile pic from, like, a Dell commercial or something? Everytime I see it I get kind of confused, like I saw it long ago, elsewhere... :huh

Guest Speed Racer

Speed Racer, is your profile pic from, like, a Dell commercial or something? Everytime I see it I get kind of confused, like I saw it long ago, elsewhere... :huh

, Mac Switch ad.

So I had not listened to Tortoise prior to this show and I must say, perhaps the most boring opening act I've seen in my entire life. It felt like I heard one long 45 minute song that never varied. I was glad when they got off the stage, as mean as that sounds. After a long day of work and then driving to the show they nearly knocked me out before The Price Is Right theme music could even begin.

Well, now that I'm thinking about it again, "Low" was relatively close when I saw them open for Wilco but I think Tortoise still has 'em beat by a long ways.