That's a couple two three red cards there.

After this tape has been plastered on every sports blog known to man--even garnering coverage on ESPN, when collegiate soccer has no reason to be covered--I hope that the team/conference suspends this player for an extended period of games. If I were the coach, she wouldn't be playing for me ever again. This is one of the dirtiest displays in a soccer game I have ever witnessed. This includes years of refereeing soccer games at the state level where kids (young adults) feel like they're playing for their lives; I have never seen such a reckless disregard for sportsmanship. Utter tosh. :yucky

Guest Speed Racer

I have never seen such a reckless disregard for sportsmanship. Utter tosh. :yucky

Not even that; she seems to have a reckless disregard for people in general. She's missing some furniture in her house, that's for sure.

So this is what it took for a media outlet to cover a women's sporting event.

GMA and a bunch of local affiliates recently covered a club rugby game between St. Olaf and Macalester colleges in which the women played in prom dresses. That was pretty awesome, and totally professional as well.

A couple of weeks ago, the parents at my nephew's soccer game were lamenting that none of their kids have anything close to a killer instinct. One woman said that's because the school they go to might as well be "Rodney King Elementary School: where everyone gets along". We're always kind of stunned whenever they play a team that comes anywhere near to fouling them. Although as the coach (my sister) likes to point out, that's a coaching issue. No way does a player get away with that unless the coach is allowing/encouraging it. The player should be suspended by the league, no doubt, but someone should also take a hard look at the coach's response to this situation.

edit to clarify: I'm talking about two different things here. On the one hand, my nephew's team has only very rarely had to deal with really aggressive play, and it's hard for them to understand the concept of a fair shoulder, for example.

The other side of that is aggressive play gone way over the edge, which is what this clip shows. And that's what my sister was talking about, that kind of obvious fouling, which for whatever reason seemed to be allowed to continue.

The player should be suspended by the league, no doubt, but someone should also take a hard look at the coach's response to this situation.

Not to mention the ref and two line judges. How is it possible they missed every one of those? I think the offender got one yellow card out of all that. I realize that some of those happened away from the play, but the last one - in which she delivers a double chop to the chest while going for the ball, should have been seen by all 3 officials. If none of them saw that, they're incompetent, and if one of them saw it and didn't hand out a yellow, same conclusion.

They got nice thighs, generally.

Guest Speed Racer

http://www.golobos.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/110609aaa.html

Nov. 6, 2009

University of New Mexico head women's soccer coach Kit Vela announced today that junior defender Elizabeth Lambert has been suspended indefinitely for her actions in Thursday's match against BYU in the semifinals of the Mountain West Conference Championship in Provo, Utah.

Effective immediately, Lambert is prohibited from participating in all team practices, competition and conditioning activities.

"I am deeply and wholeheartedly regretful for my actions," said Lambert. "My actions were uncalled for. I let my emotions get the best of me in a heated situation. I take full responsibility for my actions and accept any punishment felt necessary from the coaching staff and UNM administration. This is in no way indicative of my character or the soccer player that I am. I am sorry to my coaches and teammates for any and all damages I have brought upon them. I am especially sorry to BYU and the BYU women's soccer players that were personally affected by my actions. I have the utmost respect for the BYU women's soccer program and its players."

"Liz is a quality student-athlete, but in this instance her actions clearly crossed the line of fair play and good sportsmanship," said Vela.

"Liz's conduct on the field against BYU was completely inappropriate," said UNM Vice President for Athletics Paul Krebs. "There is no way to defend her actions."

I saw on ESPN this afternoon that the offending player has been suspended indefinitely. I'm sure there is a link to confirm this somewhere.Here is the link.

"The Mountain West said it endorsed New Mexico's discipline of Lambert, saying her actions violated the conference's sportsmanship policy. The conference said it would continue an internal review of "the overall dynamic involved in the match" and said it would not comment further."

Hmm.

300025847_9919403228.jpg

most women soccer players have better legs than that.

i'm not sure if it was because of a choppy stream or the clips were shown in slow motion, but a lot of stuff gets missed by refs because it happens so quickly and the position of the center ref is usually not very close to defenders. and for some very stupid lame reason refs don't issue red cards to women the way they do to men. stuff that happens away from the ball and play always seems to get missed because the linesman and ref are focused on other things going on. of course it is all still very inexcusable. but it happens and probably a lot more than we or the news media realizes.

i had a girl slide tackle me in a game, very similar to one of those dirty plays and it caused my calf muscle to rupture. and that was a division 3 rec game. two weeks prior to that she broke a girls leg in a similar manner. girls can play just as rough and dirty...sometimes even rougher than guys. we're all just surprised because it is girls doing it. you'll see similar stunts with guys, just maybe not as much hair pulling because guys don't have as many ponytails on the field. :P

The school and conference have had their say, but if ever there were a case that warranted some action by the NCAA itself, this could be it. They could ban her from ever playing college soccer again ... and personally, I think that would be appropriate.

That was one of the ugliest pieces of footage I have ever seen.

It reminded me of the theater of roller derby we used to watch as kids. We thought it was funny because we knew it was fake.

rollerderby1.jpg