Wah! Jay Farrar on Uncle Tupelo last week......

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

No offense to any bass players, but I highly doubt Jeff would ever want to be relegated back to that position either. He strictly plays guitar.

He plays bass on a number of Loose Fur tracks. Also, he's said in quite a few interviews that he doesn't think he can actually play the bass fast enough anymore to get the Uncle Tupelo parts right - hardly being "relegated" at all.

i do not understand why everybody is itching for them to reunite. For real, Son Volt makes good music, Wilco makes good music, and Uncle Tupelo MADE good music.

Listen to the records and go see SV and Wilco when they tour. Usually at a Son Volt show you're guaranteed at least 1 UT song! :)

It would be pointless for them to reunite because they obviously have no common interest in working with one another, and all that would result would be awkward mush.

Yes, Sarah, you are completely correct.

Look Farrar tearing into Whiskey Bottle one more time with Tweedy on backing vocals gets me almost as excited as IRememberDBoon, but I just don't see it happening again. This isn't like the Beatles, it's not like Tweedy is making Wings at The Speed of Sound without Farrar, and Farrar is making Walls and Bridges without Tweedy. They've made records alone that are just as good and in some cases even better than the ones they did together. Live Wilco might not be as exciting anymore as the original lineup of Tupelo, but their awfully good, and Son Volt puts on a great sow as well. But most importantly, neither of them seem to have any interest in getting back together. And if they don't want to do it, the shows will reflect that.

--Mike

Live Wilco might not be as exciting anymore as the original lineup of Tupelo, but their awfully good, and Son Volt puts on a great sow as well.

Uncle Tupelo really was never an outstanding live band. I'm a big fan but an average live Wilco show is 3x better than a great Uncle Tupelo show. I think the idea of it them together is much better in people's mind than the actual reunion would be.

He plays bass on a number of Loose Fur tracks. Also, he's said in quite a few interviews that he doesn't think he can actually play the bass fast enough anymore to get the Uncle Tupelo parts right - hardly being "relegated" at all.

It seems to me that the "can't play the bass fast enough" argument is really just a more polite way of saying "thanks, but no thanks." If Jeff was interested in learning to play the songs again on bass, he'd have no problem doing it.

Uncle Tupelo really was never an outstanding live band. I'm a big fan but an average live Wilco show is 3x better than a great Uncle Tupelo show. I think the idea of it them together is much better in people's mind than the actual reunion would be.

That's exactly right. I only really have the JHamm DVD's to go by in terms of my judgement of UT's live chops, as I was way too young to catch them the first time around, so they seem great, but I've never actually had the experience of seeing them. UT is great in my perspective in the same way Joe DiMaggio was a great baseball player, all of my context is second-hand.

--Mike

I'd love to see a reunion as well; although, I don't see it happening either. It is sad to me that most of those songs may never see the light of day again. Oh, well!

I saw them once at Mississippi Nights in STL years ago, before I was really a fan, and I remember them being really great. High energy, for sure. However, even in my fading memory, Wilco is undoubtedly a better live band. Not even close, really IMHO.

It seems to me that the "can't play the bass fast enough" argument is really just a more polite way of saying "thanks, but no thanks." If Jeff was interested in learning to play the songs again on bass, he'd have no problem doing it.

Exactly. Why would Jeff, at this point in his career, want to relearn bass parts and backup vocals on a bunch of songs Jay Farrar wrote? He's been a front man for fifteen years and counting. It's a harmless fantasy, but not a realistic prospect at all ... hell, I wish Adriana Lima would have chosen me over that ugly spud she married, but that didn't happen either. :lol

It'll happen at some point.

If it does, I can't help but hope that it will be like this: After many years of following their own respective paths, they find that those paths have crossed once again, and as old men they stop, not to relive boyhood glories, but to compare adult notes, reflect, make peace with themselves and each other before moving on either together or apart.

This thread is kind of like wanting to hook up with an old girlfriend from High School.

Dude...she's 15 years older, has three kids, weighs 50 pounds more, and she never really liked you anyway.

This thread is kind of like wanting to hook up with an old girlfriend from High School.

Dude...she's 15 years older, has three kids, weighs 50 pounds more, and she never really liked you anyway.

It's actually worse. In many cases, they have never seen this "girlfriend". Further, she's married well.

It's actually worse. In many cases, they have never seen this "girlfriend". Further, she's married well.

And it you broached the subject of getting back togther, you would get maced and be hit with a TRO

At the end of the day, these reunions only make since (for all parties involved) when the original band was more successful than any subsequent projects. I mean Pink Floyd, Zepplin, dino jr. pixies etc all reunite after years of solo albums or reincarnations of original band that never achieved the success the original lineup did. In the case of UT, both Wilco and Son Volt achieved greater than UT (commercially and some would argue artistically (even though Anodyne is a recording that I would rank above anything else related to these guys). It just doesn't make sense to revisit something that never amounted to what you are doing now.

All that being said, a reunion would better serve Farrar (I feel the current Son Volt is a joke) and he hasn't made a solid record since WST or maybe his first solo album.

At the end of the day, these reunions only make since (for all parties involved) when the original band was more successful than any subsequent projects. I mean Pink Floyd, Zepplin, dino jr. pixies etc all reunite after years of solo albums or reincarnations of original band that never achieved the success the original lineup did. In the case of UT, both Wilco and Son Volt achieved greater than UT (commercially and some would argue artistically (even though Anodyne is a recording that I would rank above anything else related to these guys). It just doesn't make sense to revisit something that never amounted to what you are doing now.

I agree but if they did it just for the music then that would be a good thing.

I actually think these shows would sell less tickets than a Wilco show.

930 club would be a perfect venue