Wah! Jay Farrar on Uncle Tupelo last week......

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What band hasn't gotten back together at some point? The list is short.

yes, if you're considering mega-stars who got accustomed to living a lifestyle that they couldn't keep up when the royalties stopped pouring in and starting to trickle. (Eagles, 2/3 of the Police). Or bands whose posthumous reputations grew far beyond the scope of their original ones (Sex Pistols Velvet Underground). These guys reunite for money. And even the occasional band who reunites for a "greater purpose" (Pink Floyd).

But your post ignores the thousands of bands who have not become iconic, and who never did, or will reunite. Minor bands whose names you recognize but whose names rarely, if ever, enter your head. Remember The Long Ryders? ? and the Mysterians? The dBs? New Riders of the Purple Sage? Any idea if these guys ever reunited? I don't. Perhaps the never needed to because they never broke up.

You may say that UT in fact has reached that iconic status, and that may be true (I'm not the person to make a detached call on this- as are probably many of us here), but there are plenty of iconic bands who don't reunite either, and not only because of death, including (to the best of my knowledge): CCR, CSNY, The Band, Blood, Sweat and Tears, Country Joe and the Fish, just to name a few of those who played at Woodstock.

And yes, there are a few who get back together because there is still music to be made. I would put Olson/Louris into this category. Never huge, and no reunion will change that. They just sat down with guitars and realized they still (or perhaps again) enjoyed making music together. IF it ever happens with Jay and Jeff, I would like it to be like that.

But your post ignores the thousands of bands who have not become iconic, and who never did, or will reunite. Minor bands whose names you recognize but whose names rarely, if ever, enter your head. Remember The Long Ryders? ? and the Mysterians? The dBs? New Riders of the Purple Sage? Any idea if these guys ever reunited? I don't. Perhaps the never needed to because they never broke up.

Yeah, there's no go-to term for "popular" or "known" bands. I'm sure there are millions of "minor" bands who'll never reunite. I wasn't referring to them, though.

there are plenty of iconic bands who don't reunite either, and not only because of death, including (to the best of my knowledge): CCR, CSNY, The Band, Blood, Sweat and Tears, Country Joe and the Fish, just to name a few of those who played at Woodstock.

The Band carried on for a long time w/out Robertson, which I guess doesn't count (particularly since the parallel here would be Jay Farrar touring as UT w/out Tweedy). BS&T still tour under that name (I imagine w/out key members also), and CCR was "Revisited" for awhile (again, no John Fogarty I think). So I guess they're all part of the 'short list' I referred to. CSNY toured just a few years back.

Ifsinging and playing along with the disembodied voice of a dead manrecorded on crappy tape recorder constitutes getting a band backtogether, then I've personally jammed with Jimi Hendrix. :guitar

Meh - it's in the books as a Beatles track.

The dBs played some shows a couple of years ago. The New Riders of The Purple Sage are touring right now. I think ? and The Mysterians are still at it. I think a lot of bands get together in public or private (Buffalo Springfield) at some point down the road. How many of the original bands members particulate, or are still around, or want to participate is a different story. There are of course, several old bands now hiring sound a-like players to stand-in for departed members.

I got here by way of Uncle Tupelo, and would love to see them play together. Whether it ever happens is up to them. I don't think begging or fighting about it on a message board is going to make them do anything though.

At the end of the day, I probably prefer listening to Uncle Tupelo over Wilco or Son Volt. That is not to dismiss either band, but, rather it is due to the fact that I am drawn to the genre of music Uncle Tupelo played.

Guest Speed Racer

What I'd like to see (and what I think would be most likely) is the two of them getting together for an acoustic solo show. I think that would really be a fantastic evening.

The dBs played some shows a couple of years ago. The New Riders of The Purple Sage are touring right now. I think ? and The Mysterians are still at it. I think a lot of bands get together in public or private (Buffalo Springfield) at some point down the road. How many of the original bands members particulate, or are still around, or want to participate is a different story. There are of course, several old bands now hiring sound a-like players to stand-in for departed members.

Damn, I should have known better than to post without doing my research, what with all the musically erudite folk around here. :thumbup

Damn, I should have known better than to post without doing my research, what with all the musically erudite folk around here. :thumbup

It's no big deal.

I doubt I've ever heard a dB's song, I just recall seeing the news of a reunion somewhere.

Hell, J Mascis still bad mouths Murph (from time to time), and they are back together, so anything is possible.

Guest Runaway Jim

What I'd like to see (and what I think would be most likely) is the two of them getting together for an acoustic solo show. I think that would really be a fantastic evening.

That would be pretty amazing.

Jeff's vocals perfectly complimented Jay's. I'd be extremely elated to hear those two play an acoustic only "Looking for a Way Out", like the one that appears on the UT Anthology.

• 1 month later...

Uncle Tupelo will play again when the Talking Heads tour. Which is never. Sad but true. Same with Morrisey and the Smiths. So go see David Byrne solo and make the most of the fact that he does 50% Talking Heads songs. Tweedy did Acuff-Rose on Sunday. And Jay play's UT songs as well.

i think it would be so awesome if they reunited. they could play "chickenmauga."

Not sure if this ones been posted:

Perry Ferrell was once asked when Jane's Addiction would reunite, and he replied it would happen “when the sky rains money.” What would it take for Uncle Tupelo to reform?

That's a great quote from him. Before the Gibbard tour, we shared a rehearsal space with (Jane's Addiction). I don't ever want to see (an Uncle Tupelo reunion) happen, and I don't think even what Perry Ferrell suggests will make it happen.

My linkhttp://greenville.metromix.com/music/article/q-and-a-jay/1606570/content

Two bands that I'd thought wern't NEVER gonna reunite...are now making better records than in their obscurity filled hey day.....

-Mission of Burma

and

-The Buzzcocks

-Robert

I have to agree with Marc W about the quality of the new Buzzcocks, but both of these groups gave me some of the best shows of the last decade (being 34 I just missed out on both while coming of age in music), and really, the only reason I was going to post was to mention that Burma might be the most successful reunion that has happened in music, not in monetary or fan-based success but the quality of work they've put out this decade at least matches their past. Dino's reunion albums are good, but are nothing compared to what Burma has pulled on with Obliterati and SSL these last few years.

Burma is one of the few groups that top Wilco for me when it comes to favorites. I know they're not for everyone (though watching my 4 year old dance to 2wice forces me to question that idea), but they really are one of the greatest bands of the last 30 years.

I have to agree with Marc W about the quality of the new Buzzcocks, but both of these groups gave me some of the best shows of the last decade (being 34 I just missed out on both while coming of age in music), and really, the only reason I was going to post was to mention that Burma might be the most successful reunion that has happened in music, not in monetary or fan-based success but the quality of work they've put out this decade at least matches their past. Dino's reunion albums are good, but are nothing compared to what Burma has pulled on with Obliterati and SSL these last few years.

Burma is one of the few groups that top Wilco for me when it comes to favorites. I know they're not for everyone (though watching my 4 year old dance to 2wice forces me to question that idea), but they really are one of the greatest bands of the last 30 years.

not to mention one of the loudest. I'd love to see them again when they tour in the spring.