Wah! Jay Farrar on Uncle Tupelo last week......

Not sure if this ones been posted:

Perry Ferrell was once asked when Jane's Addiction would reunite, and he replied it would happen “when the sky rains money.” What would it take for Uncle Tupelo to reform?

That's a great quote from him. Before the Gibbard tour, we shared a rehearsal space with (Jane's Addiction). I don't ever want to see (an Uncle Tupelo reunion) happen, and I don't think even what Perry Ferrell suggests will make it happen.

My linkhttp://greenville.metromix.com/music/article/q-and-a-jay/1606570/content

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do not understand why everybody is itching for them to reunite. For real, Son Volt makes good music, Wilco makes good music, and Uncle Tupelo MADE good music.

Listen to the records and go see SV and Wilco when they tour. Usually at a Son Volt show you're guaranteed at least 1 UT song! :)

It would be pointless for them to reunite because they obviously have no common interest in working with one another, and all that would result would be awkward mush.

Guest Speed Racer

i do not understand why everybody is itching for them to reunite. For real, Son Volt makes good music, Wilco makes good music, and Uncle Tupelo MADE good music.

If they were still making good music, then why would they reunite? :lol

I get the idea behind calls for reunion of various bands, but very, very rarely does it seem to amount to anything close to the original incarnation of a band, especially one like Uncle Tupelo where half the charm (more than half, likely) was their youth.

Still, I'm not about to knock people who dream for reunions.

I get the idea behind calls for reunion of various bands, but very, very rarely does it seem to amount to anything close to the original incarnation of a band, especially one like Uncle Tupelo where half the charm (more than half, likely) was their youth.

I'm not knocking, I just don't understand the wishing for it.... especially cos bothe bands (in my opinion, at least) are putting out really great records. :hmm

Yeah, all the reunions (save for Dinosaur Jr.) that i've seen in concert have been lackluster.

I actually believe they could make another album and the whole 9 yards. I mean if they came out ripping those songs from their old setlists I would seriously be in fucking heaven. I would do every single show possible and pay 1000 dollars per show. I cant imagine anything better in this world. I could have seen them tons of times back in the day and never did. I regret it so much. Those songs are still there and they are both still there. I think they owe it to their fans to play them. Not shelve them for all time. If they both werent able or werent around that would be one thing but they are. They shouldnt shelve that music live forever. They dont do that to each of their music from the end of Tupelo on so why deny us that??

Guest Speed Racer

Some people really want to see their two favorite musicians (and that other guy) making music together on stage, and that I get. I wish I was there, way back when. I think that most people who root for reunions are also rooting that Jay/Jeff get along (as long as you're wishing, wish big). Not that they ever really did. Which takes us back to the nature of wishing...

Some people really want to see their two favorite musicians (and that other guy) making music together on stage, and that I get. I wish I was there, way back when. I think that most people who root for reunions are also rooting that Jay/Jeff get along (as long as you're wishing, wish big). Not that they ever really did. Which takes us back to the nature of wishing...

Im serious about the idea of them not having the right to deny us that music. Noone lives forever.

I actually believe they could make another album and the whole 9 yards. I mean if they came out ripping those songs from their old setlists I would seriously be in fucking heaven. I would do every single show possible and pay 1000 dollars per show. I cant imagine anything better in this world. I could have seen them tons of times back in the day and never did. I regret it so much. Those songs are still there and they are both still there. I think they owe it to their fans to play them. Not shelve them for all time. If they both werent able or werent around that would be one thing but they are. They shouldnt shelve that music live forever. They dont do that to each of their music from the end of Tupelo on so why deny us that??

Oh man. Sorry but I don't think they "owe" us shit. In fact their record company never paid them what they were due. (right??)

I don't think this'll ever happen. At most Wilco might someday bring Jay onstage and do a couple of numbers. That would be a treat, I guess. But really, who cares.

10 years ago when I first got into Son Volt, Tupelo, and Wilco (in that order) I would have killed for a reunion. Now...not so much.

Wilco's career trajectory has been nearly straight up as they have continued to make interesting music while Farrar's has been nearly a flat line from Wide Swing Tremolo onwards as Jay continues to wallow about how sorry the world is...and the music suffers for it.

At this point, they're so far apart not only in terms of their careers but in terms of where they seem to be at mentally/personally (am I the only one who thinks Jay seems just miserable all the freakin' time?).

I'm happy they're apart and thankful that it may be a just little Too Far Apart, so to speak.

Im serious about the idea of them not having the right to deny us that music. Noone lives forever.

Maybe you can get a court order. Why would these guys bother? There wouldn't be enough money in it for either of them - are as many people going to go to a UT show than a Wilco or a Son Volt show? - to tolerate putting up with the other.

I certainly enjoy Uncle Tupelo, but to be honest unless Jay and Jeff were both really stoked about it I can't imagine a reunion would be anything more than a messy, half-hearted disappointment. It might be fun if they did a one-off reunion deal...but I'd rather keep Wilco and Son Volt working in their respective worlds than see those two guys try and recreate something that was once awesome...but probably wouldn't be as fun (or comfortable for them).

Let me go on record as saying I was a huge UT fan and I still listen to Son Volt even though I prefer Wilco, especially the older Wilco stuff circa Being There and SummerTeeth. From reading many Farrar interviews and seeing Son Volt live many times. I think Jay is a major asshole, a talented one but still an asshole. The way he comes off in interviews and live shows, I just don't understand him. I have also heard from a few folks who have meet him that he is less than pleasant sometimes.

10 years ago when I first got into Son Volt, Tupelo, and Wilco (in that order) I would have killed for a reunion. Now...not so much.

Wilco's career trajectory has been nearly straight up as they have continued to make interesting music while Farrar's has been nearly a flat line from Wide Swing Tremolo onwards as Jay continues to wallow about how sorry the world is...and the music suffers for it.

At this point, they're so far apart not only in terms of their careers but in terms of where they seem to be at mentally/personally (am I the only one who thinks Jay seems just miserable all the freakin' time?).

I'm happy they're apart and thankful that it may be a just little Too Far Apart, so to speak.

Well said and I do agree! Jay's music while I still enjoy, is stuck in a alt-country rut.

I think they owe it to their fans to play them. If they both werent able or werent around that would be one thing but they are. They shouldnt shelve that music live forever. They dont do that to each of their music from the end of Tupelo on so why deny us that??

The assumption being that they exist for your pleasure?

I can't believe I just bumped this thread...

Let me go on record as saying I was a huge UT fan and I still listen to Son Volt even though I prefer Wilco, especially the older Wilco stuff circa Being There and SummerTeeth. From reading many Farrar interviews and seeing Son Volt live many times. I think Jay is a major asshole, a talented one but still an asshole. The way he comes off in interviews and live shows, I just don't understand him. I have also heard from a few folks who have meet him that he is less than pleasant sometimes.

A-man has alluded to a story he has about meeting Jay that may have been somewhat less than pleasant (at least that's the impression I got)...but I have never read it.

Last time I tried to talk to Jay about UT he punched me square in the mouth. Seriously, what kind of guy punches another guy square in the mouth for bringing up something like that?

I'd honestly rather see Mike and the Boquist brothers back in Son Volt than a UT reunion.

The last time I talked to the Boquist brothers about Mike they seemed way more interested in talking about what a jerk you are.