Wah! Jay Farrar on Uncle Tupelo last week......

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Gilmour was quoted as saying that playing music with Roger Waters "would be like sleeping with your ex-wife".

Maybe Neil Finn could get involved, he has reformed Crowded House and Split Enz?

Sort of on the topic anyway.

David Gilmour was quoted as saying that playing music with Roger Waters "would be like sleeping with your ex-wife".

and at live 8, they played together and hugged eacother at the end.

robert plant said in an interview that he'll never play Stairway again - but he did in 2007 with the remaing led zep members at full show

and isnt it time that Kiss or Cher do another farewell tour?

I bum rushed Jay one night after a Son Volt show and he limp handed me and looked at me like I was crazy. The venue just happened to be set up where someone who had one too many wild turkey shots could go wherever they wanted. He does seem sad for some reason.

I seriously feel like its an artist creating something the world loves and then destroying it. Its their right but they shouldnt do it. Especially with music.

It just seems like two hard headed dingbats from the midwest that cant seem to get over some dumbass 15 year old grudges. I mean CMON!

I bum rushed Jay one night after a Son Volt show and he limp handed me and looked at me like I was crazy. The venue just happened to be set up where someone who had one too many wild turkey shots could go wherever they wanted. He does seem sad for some reason.

I seriously feel like its an artist creating something the world loves and then destroying it. Its their right but they shouldnt do it. Especially with music.

It just seems like two hard headed dingbats from the midwest that cant seem to get over some dumbass 15 year old grudges. I mean CMON!

Your sense of entitlement is amazing.

They can do whatever they want. They haven't destroyed the music, it exists and always will. But if they don't want to play the songs together again, so be it.

Your sense of entitlement is amazing.

They can do whatever they want. They haven't destroyed the music, it exists and always will. But if they don't want to play the songs together again, so be it.

my sense of entitlement?? are u serious? ever heard of people that take great works of art and hang them in their basement? thats considered lame. it should be in a museum for all to see and enjoy.

dude. its not gonna happen anyway obviously so im basically just raising poop and playing.

I seriously do think its weak for them not to do it but what do they care what I think?

I don't think it's lame to not reunite because you have no interest in doing so. In that instance, the reunion would be the lame thing to do.

The point is, the music is essentially in a museum for all to see. Did Picasso give every viewer of his work a live analysis of what it is? That's essentially the live concert equivalent of your painting in the basement analogy. Jeff and Jay not reuniting doesn't mean all UT music is banished forever. It just means they don't want to play together anymore, and I can't blame them at all.

I don't think it's lame to not reunite because you have no interest in doing so. In that instance, the reunion would be the lame thing to do.

The point is, the music is essentially in a museum for all to see. Did Picasso give every viewer of his work a live analysis of what it is? That's essentially the live concert equivalent of your painting in the basement analogy. Jeff and Jay not reuniting doesn't mean all UT music is banished forever. It just means they don't want to play together anymore, and I can't blame them at all.

They broke up on negative terms and thats it. Not because they wanted to go in different directions or the music had been played out or whatever. Not because they didnt have any interest in it. Thats BS. I guess they broke up because Jeff tried to work Jay's girl.

Thats some freshman shit. They need to get over it and give the music its due and also get Heidhorn or whoever some money. Im sure they would appreciate that.

It seems like some of the things that Jay grew wary of towards the end of UT's run - Jeff getting increasingly more attention, becoming more of a fan favorite, etc. - would be amplified 50,000 times in a reunion situation. I don't Jay's ever been comfortable with sharing the spotlight, let alone sharing it with someone who has completely eclipsed him in every career-milestone type way you can think of. Farrar's reminded of that every interview, where he has to field questions about a UT reunion or his relationship with Tweedy, as opposed to Jeff, who rarely gets asked these things and has people way more people excited about the recent records he is putting out.

I seriously do think its weak for them not to do it but what do they care what I think?

Not to pile on here but I think it would be weak if they were to get back together. They are MUCH better individually than they were together. As much as I like Uncle Tupelo, I like Wilco/Son Volt/Jay, and their many incarnations, much better.

That + Wilco is 10x the live act that Uncle Tupelo ever was.

They broke up on negative terms and thats it. Not because they wanted to go in different directions or the music had been played out or whatever. Not because they didnt have any interest in it. Thats BS. I guess they broke up because Jeff tried to work Jay's girl.

Thats some freshman shit. They need to get over it and give the music its due and also get Heidhorn or whoever some money. Im sure they would appreciate that.

No.

A band breaking up because of negative feelings would likely lead to a terrible reunion. Especially now, with Jeff in a significantly bigger place than Jay. The resentment would be through the roof.

They're giving the music it's due by not playing it if it won't be played by two (plus) guys who legitimately want to play it together.

IRDB - don't give up hope. Remember when Mickey said Phil "must have received the liver of a jerk"? They made up and have done many shows together since then. And as someone said Dave & Roger DID play at Live 8. So all I'm saying is stranger things have happened.

I feel your pain, dude. I love UT too. They used to play here all the time but I was all about following Garcia at the time.

IRDB - don't give up hope. Remember when Mickey said Phil "must have received the liver of a jerk"? They made up and have done many shows together since then. And as someone said Dave & Roger DID play at Live 8. So all I'm saying is stranger things have happened.

I feel your pain, dude. I love UT too. They used to play here all the time but I was all about following Garcia at the time.

HEY! a nice and fun reply. thanks!

it must be because youre a poseur Deadhead.

Yeah I was doing the exact same thing. I rue all of the shows I missed seeing doo doo Dead shows in 93 94 and 95 especially.

Usually reunions are strictly about the dough. When bands have enough of it or aren't money-hungry whores they usually refrain from trying to recreate something that was special at the right time and place. I enjoyed seeing Dinosaur Jr this year but though the Pixies were piss poor in 2005. Thank god, Robert Plant has some self-respect. A Led Zeppelin would be a horrible nostalgia trip. Better to leave the memory of a younger, more vital band in people's minds and hearts.

While I understand the sentiment, it seems like this is a most unlikely occurance.

Even if Jay and Jeff didn't have this history of unspoken (and at time spoken) animosity, they fact that they are in such different places musically these days would make it unlikely if not downright impossible.

There is no way these guys are going back to what they were, and the divergent approaches to their music these days makes a common meeting ground doubtful.

Besides, Mike has had a recent unpleasant break with Jay. Is it a Uncle Tupelo without Mike? Are going to reunite the original three piece (which is problematic for the above stated reason) or the final configuration...I'm sure Ken and Max would be onboard for that. NOT.

Uncle Tupelo is a relic...we can appreciate it for what it was and appreciate it for what came out of it.

While I understand the sentiment, it seems like this is a most unlikely occurance.

Even if Jay and Jeff didn't have this history of unspoken (and at time spoken) animosity, they fact that they are in such different places musically these days would make it unlikely if not downright impossible.

There is no way these guys are going back to what they were, and the divergent approaches to their music these days makes a common meeting ground doubtful.

Besides, Mike has had a recent unpleasant break with Jay. Is it a Uncle Tupelo without Mike? Are going to reunite the original three piece (which is problematic for the above stated reason) or the final configuration...I'm sure Ken and Max would be onboard for that. NOT.

Uncle Tupelo is a relic...we can appreciate it for what it was and appreciate it for what came out of it.

oh dang. i forgot about Jay having the Son Volt v2 fallout with Mike.

Cant they just use Ken Coomer or whoever.

I just want to hear them sing those songs especially Jeff with Jay playing and vice versa

Like I said I think they owe it to us and themselves to play those beautiful songs live.

Think about them meeting up in Mexico. Does anyone here really believe that was a coincidence??

oh dang. i forgot about Jay having the Son Volt v2 fallout with Mike.

Cant they just use Ken Coomer or whoever.

I just want to hear them sing those songs especially Jeff with Jay playing and vice versa

Like I said I think they owe it to us and themselves to play those beautiful songs live.

Think about them meeting up in Mexico. Does anyone here really believe that was a coincidence??

Yes I do.

The ONLY way this would ever come off is if they worked with Gary Louris and Mark Olson and/or Brian Henneman. But then, that wouldn't be Uncle Tupelo.

And I don't think they owe it to themselves to delve into a (somewhat) painful and acrimonious past.

However, these guys were kids when the broke up. There is still time.

Isn't Ken Coomer locked in somebody's basement?

I don't think Ken left the band on the best of terms...remember?

Tupelo with Kotche sounds good to me

But that's not Uncle Tupelo.