Calling all beer snobs

Had a perfectly poured Guinness yesterday.

It was incomprehensibly wonderful; a reminder as to why (when poured correctly and served at the proper temperature), Guinness is the still the best beer is the world.

:cheers

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing about staying at my mom's new apartment downtown Miami is that the supermarket next door sells Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA.

Yum.

That is the IPA of choice (in my limited experience there) on the east coast. Yum yum....cheers.gif

It was incomprehensibly wonderful; a reminder as to why (when poured correctly and served at the proper temperature), Guinness is the still the best beer is the world.

This is a true statement.

But I also enjoy a Newcastle or a Sam Adams (depending on my mood).

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I don't like about this thread (other than it causes me to salivate on my keyboard) is I see all of these great beers, but I can't ever find them anywhere.. Some are pretty exotic and can't be found at your usual beer/liqueur store. We have a store called "Greens" in South Carolina that carries hundreds of exotic beers, but rarely the one's listed here.. :hmm

Indeed it is. Many have come close, but no one can truly match The Guinness. :beer

The only thing I don't like about this thread (other than it causes me to salivate on my keyboard) is I see all of these great beers, but I can't ever find them anywhere.. Some are pretty exotic and can't be found at your usual beer/liqueur store. We have a store called "Greens" in South Carolina that carries hundreds of exotic beers, but rarely the one's listed here.. :hmm

Indeed it is. Many have come close, but no one can truly match The Guinness. :beer

SC has some pretty strange liquor laws, doesn't it? That may be part of it. When my wife went there for a wedding 15 or so years ago, she said bars served all mixed drinks with airplane size bottles, I guess to keep bartenders for making drinks too strong. There are a few beers in Iowa that aren't distributed because the tax rate goes up with the percentage of alcohol, or something like that.

Do you have a World Market up there? I've found a lot of beers there that I've seen listed on VC. Also Trader Joe's has some as well.

SC has some pretty strange liquor laws, doesn't it? That may be part of it. When my wife went there for a wedding 15 or so years ago, she said bars served all mixed drinks with airplane size bottles, I guess to keep bartenders for making drinks too strong. There are a few beers in Iowa that aren't distributed because the tax rate goes up with the percentage of alcohol, or something like that.

We no longer have that mini bottle law. I think we were the last state to use them.

There are a few beers in Iowa that aren't distributed because the tax rate goes up with the percentage of alcohol, or something like that.

That might have something to do with it. I'm pretty sure there is a limit on the percentage of alchohol that can be sold. SC does have some crazy liqueur laws, but we are getting better.. Now you can buy beer on Sundays in Greenville City, in bars and stores! For the longest time, you had to go to the NC border to buy beer on Sunday.

Do you have a World Market up there? I've found a lot of beers there that I've seen listed on VC. Also Trader Joe's has some as well.

Not sure about World Market, but I'll have to checkout Trader Joe's. Haven't been to one of those in years, didn't realize they carried the beery goodness.

That might have something to do with it. I'm pretty sure there is a limit on the percentage of alchohol that can be sold. SC does have some crazy liqueur laws, but we are getting better.. Now you can buy beer on Sundays in Greenville City, in bars and stores! For the longest time, you had to go to the NC border to buy beer on Sunday.

The limit used to be 5 or 6 %, but was raised to 14% in the last year or so. Our legislators did something right for once. :cheers

We have a place that opened up down the street from me a few years ago called Woodman's in the West suburbs of Chicago. It has the biggest liquor dept. I have ever seen... puts Binny's to shame. They have the beer in coolers around the entire perimeter of the store and it goes by geographical area... from Asian to Domestic microbrews and everything in between. Anyway, I have over the last two years drank my way around the world...good for me.

There are so may that I like, but I really keep going back to good old Newcastle Brown Ale, DAB, and some German Bock that is FANTASTIC, but $12 a 6 pack and in German, so can't remember the name. Not sexy picks, I know. For all of the US microbrews that I have had, I like Rouge's Brutal Bitter.

If you like IPAs, go and get some Gumball Head and/or Alpha King from Three Floyd's Brewery. Run. Now. Fast.

Seconded, although neither are technically IPAs, and the Gumball isn't particularly hoppy. The Dreadnaught on the other hand.