Calling all beer snobs

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had some Keegan Ales' Super Kitty the other day, and it was exceedingly good. From their website: "Super Kitty is our first seasonal beer to be sold in stores. At around 12% ABV, it is meant to be cellared, sipped and appreciated by the finest palates. Brewed using the excess from our Hurricane Kitty recipe, this beer is combined with 100lbs. of local Hudson Valley honey, oak chips and several additions of hops throughout the 6 month conditioning period. Production is limited to 250- 1 liter bottles, and usually sells out before we can get it bottled. For those of you who are patient, you'll find this beer ages gracefully, with a complex and smooth character that can only be gained by maturity."

Tired of being chastised for bringing good beer to a place where beer is being provided for free, vent here...your amongst friends,had a good IPA recently, are you a cask guy, have you ever chewed a drink of beer cause its so ffffing good, welcome

I love beer as much as anyone, but bringing your own "beer to a place where beer is being provided for free..." is kinda of a dick thing to do. Do you bring your own food to a dinner party? The host is nice enough to spend his or her money on beer, be it swill or whatnot you should accept it. If you don't like it, don't drink it.

I love beer as much as anyone, but bringing your own "beer to a place where beer is being provided for free..." is kinda of a dick thing to do. Do you bring your own food to a dinner party? The host is nice enough to spend his or her money on beer, be it swill or whatnot you should accept it. If you don't like it, don't drink it.

I think there is a non-dick way to do this though. I mean, if someone is providing a keg of bud light are your options really only to A: show up and drink, B: show up and not drink, or C: not show up? No. You can show up and not make a scene of it, maybe even ask for a keg cup, and calmly sip your delicious dogfish head sah'tea or rogue, or lagunitas or whichever you'd like. Now, if you happen to bring the particular glass that is the "proper" glass for said brew, you're most likely pushing things. I've had parties where I provide cheap kegs and I do so to allow people to drink or play drinking games, but I've never had a problem with them drinking the good stuff.

I might if McDonald’s hamburgers are on the menu – the food equivalent of shitty beer.

Dale's Pale Ale is choice #1 for me and also a big fan of Dogfish, but sometimes there's nothing like a Budweiser and a shot of tequila or whiskey.

Also, I have no problem bringing beer to a party with free beer or having someone show up with a six pack of their favorite brand if I'm providing beer. You can't really force anyone to eat or drink something.

I'm not a fan of beers that are hopped to high heaven. Not a big IPA fan, at all. I prefer a better balanced flavor. I love the English, Irish, and Scottish styles. And, I've also just started getting into the Trappist ales. So yummy!

My favorite right now:

abt12.jpg

But I just discovered a Michigan brew that may challenge the Abt 12 for #1 in my world. Or, as more of an "everyday" beer; it's a lot lighter than the Bernardus and goes down so smoothly. Delicious.

dragonsmilk.jpg

I also love the Capital Tripelbok.

And, of course, Guinness Extra Stout. (Kinda the Beatles of beer; doesn't really even need to be mentioned.)

So, that's how I roll.

When the occasion calls for it, I love Chimay - any one of their labels.

In a bar, I will typically order a Guinness, unless I have reason to believe it's not ordered very much there or the lines aren't clean. If it's a dive bar, then it's either Schlitz or High Life for me, both of which I think are fine for slumming.

On Saturday I will be requested to top my feat from last year's Thanksgiving weekend: 3 pints of Guinness in 27 seconds. (The original challenge was to put down 3 pints in a minute, no puking for 30 minutes after). I collected $500 for that one! This year the challenge will be 4 pints in a minute. It will be tough, because last year the 3rd pint topped off at the top of my throat. Not sure how I will ready myself for this one - I think someone's going to get a brown shower, so to speak.

I don't drink beer all that often these days, but a few years back I was a bit of a beer connoisseur. My favorites include: Chimay, Leffe, Blanche de Chambly... I'm pretty big on the Belgian Trappist beers in particular.

Hard to beat the Belgians at beer. Here are some other beers I have enjoyed:

Paulaner Salvator

Brooklyn Brewery's Oktoberfest, Manhattan Project and Dark Chocolate Stout

Ommegang's Three Philosophers

Unibroue's Maudite

Keegan Ales' Hurricane Kitty, Mother's Milk stout and Jo Mama coffee stout

Rolling Rock, before they stopped brewing it in Latrobe

Guinness, of course

Whitbread ale

John Courage

Most Saranac beers

Brooklyn Brewery's Manhattan Project and Dark Chocolate Stout

I love the Chocalate Stout... never heard of the Manhattan Project. I'll have to look that one up.

small list of my favorites:

Two Brothers - Heavy Handed, Heavier Handed, Hop Juice, Domaine Dupage, Cane & Ebel, Northwind Stout

Bell's - Kalamazoo Stout, Amber Ale, Two Hearted, Expedition Stout

Surly - Furious, Wet, Coffee Bender

LeftHand - Milk Stout, Sawtooth Ale, Blackjack Porter

Oskar - Ten Fidy, Mama's Little Yella Pils, Dales

Goose Island - Bourbon County, Honkers

Boulder Brewing - MOJO!

I love me some IPA, the hoppier the better. I try to drink local as much as possible as well, fortunately that includes: Boulder Beer, Oskar Blues, O'Dells, New Belgium, Left Hand, Avery, Twisted Pine, Mountain Sun...

I love the Chocalate Stout... never heard of the Manhattan Project. I'll have to look that one up.

small list of my favorites:

Two Brothers - Heavy Handed, Heavier Handed, Hop Juice, Domaine Dupage, Cane & Ebel, Northwind Stout

Bell's - Kalamazoo Stout, Amber Ale, Two Hearted, Expedition Stout

Surly - Furious, Wet, Coffee Bender

LeftHand - Milk Stout, Sawtooth Ale, Blackjack Porter

Oskar - Ten Fidy, Mama's Little Yella Pils, Dales

Goose Island - Bourbon County, Honkers

That one!

:thumbup :cheers