Calling all beer snobs

Guest Runaway Jim

I dont have friends that drink Bud Light and I would not attend a party that served it.

I guess this is the thread for you.

I will echo a shout out to Goose Island's Honker's Ale. That's fucking delicious.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess this is the thread for you.

I guess. I realize how snobby my post sounded. It's more reality than snobbishness. (Maybe that's just as snobby). I don't like how Bud Light tastes, so I don't drink it. My friends agree with me, because, well, it doesnt taste good, so they don't drink it either.

As for parties, I may have been a bit hyperbolic, but again, I can't even imagine a party beign thrown with only Bud Light. It doesn't taste good. Why would someone throw a party like that? I would certainly attend a party that served Bud Light among other beers.

One situation in which I will drink Bud Light is at a ballgame. Baseball and Bud Light work well together.

Fucking Bud Light pisses me off with their stupid commercials during the football game.

But I just discovered a Michigan brew that may challenge the Abt 12 for #1 in my world. Or, as more of an "everyday" beer; it's a lot lighter than the Bernardus and goes down so smoothly. Delicious.

dragonsmilk.jpg

Sir, i doff my cap to your impeccable taste.

A few weeks ago, Bells had an all-stout day at the Eccentric Cafe. There was a blend of Double Cream/Expidition aged in oak barrels that must be the equivalent to what the Vikings drink in Valhalla.

Had some Keegan Ales' Super Kitty the other day, and it was exceedingly good. From their website: "Super Kitty is our first seasonal beer to be sold in stores. At around 12% ABV, it is meant to be cellared, sipped and appreciated by the finest palates. Brewed using the excess from our Hurricane Kitty recipe, this beer is combined with 100lbs. of local Hudson Valley honey, oak chips and several additions of hops throughout the 6 month conditioning period. Production is limited to 250- 1 liter bottles, and usually sells out before we can get it bottled. For those of you who are patient, you'll find this beer ages gracefully, with a complex and smooth character that can only be gained by maturity."

Thats a great illustration. :dribble

Seems the only thing worse than Bud Light is Bud Light Lime. I haven't tried it myself, but judging by its consumers I'm pretty sure it's the new Zima.

I went to a festival of barrel-aged beer the other weekend. Fairly amazing.

http://www.illinoisbeer.com/

If I'm out at a bar, it pleases me greatly to find these on tap:

Left Hand Milk Stout

Surly Furious

Lagunitas Brown Shugga

Actually the only thing worse than BudLight, Coor's Light,or Miller Lite is someone who will only drink one of the three and cosiders the other two crap. These are the people that make me want to take blind taste test supplies with me to bars and parties.

I don't drink beer all that often these days, but a few years back I was a bit of a beer connoisseur. My favorites include: Chimay, Leffe, Blanche de Chambly... I'm pretty big on the Belgian Trappist beers in particular.

Man's talking sense. Add Kwak and Duvel to those and you got yourself a boozy Belgian full house.

I love good beer and drink 99% 'merican microbrews. I'll bring whatever the fuck I want to a party and everyone will enjoy it.

I'm with ya, blue. :thumbup

I'm almost exclusively an IPA lover. Ruination and Hop juice tops the list, with stuff like Mojo, Hop Devil right up there.

I'm almost exclusively an IPA lover. Ruination and Hop juice tops the list, with stuff like Mojo, Hop Devil right up there.

IPA, indeed - my mostest favoritest. Two that are really hitting the spot these days are Ninkasi Total Domination IPA out of Eugene, OR and Boundary Bay IPA, Bellingham WA.

Total Domination IPA

ipa.jpgA true Northwest style IPA, citrus notes, floral and balanced, from ingredients regionally sourced, it is the definition of a true craft beer.

6.7% alc./vol. 65 ibus. Always available in 22 oz bottles, and on draft.

I'm responding as I drink a Great Lakes Christmas Ale.....

I was at a grocery store in Marquette MI about 10 years ago, and saw Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald. It was like "Wilco heard when you're out and about" since the GL brewery is like 20 miles from my house. It felt like a lil' bit o' home so far away.

Bell's is the best (after Great Lakes). Since I know where the Two Hearted River is, I love it even more. I LOVE THE UPPER PENINSULA!! I fantasize that the "private beach in Michigan" is somewhere on Lake Superior. or west of St. Ignace on route 2 on Lake Michigan!

I like Magic Hat too! Had a Lucky Kat earlier.

Marquette, and the Upper Peninsula are very special to me, really. Most people have no idea what is there, it is so off the beaten track of interstates and commerce in general.

Back on topic, there were some good beers there too, including the Great Lakes brews.

Pretty much most of Rogue Brewing gets my gander.....I take their "Yellow Snow" to any party serving Coors Light...this time of year.

My all time favorite is Bridgeport Brewing's IPA :cheers

Our Company X-mas party is held at Pyramid Brewing Ale House this year......WoOt!!!

-Robert

Pretty much most of Rogue Brewing gets my gander.....I take their "Yellow Snow" to any party serving Coors Light...this time of year.

Our Company X-mas party is held at Pyramid Brewing Ale House this year......WoOt!!!

-Robert

Yellow Snow is unbelievably good. :cheers

-Robert

Mmm...the Bridgeport Black Strap Stout. And yay for Pyramid, I once spent a fine weekend at the Gorge drinking Pyramid Apricot Weizen. :cheers

The one I can't stop getting when I have the option at restaurants or at the store is Leine's Honey Weiss. Especially on tap it's one of the smoothest beers and, as far as I'm concerned, king of the American beers (although there isn't much competition).

:stunned Leinie's is nice and all but 'king of American beers'? I'm guessing you haven't had any of the US craft beers in this thread? THere is A LOT of competition.

Alright, I'm being a total beer snob, but every time I visit my siblings in Wisconsin, it's always Honey Weiss in the fridge, and I just find it too sweet and watery. Eventually I usually end up stocking the fridge there with some Sierra Nevada Pale, because it's available there and is much more my style of beer.

I'm a west coast IPA snob, totally accustomed to high hops in a dry base with some octane. I can't enjoy Honey Weiss, much as I'd like to be able to support the long history of Leinenkugels . To you who do, no offense, just my personal preference. cheers.gif