Amazon.com Black Friday

I use to find treasures like that at the mall, at some chain record store. Every Christmas they would have a bin of stuff they wanted to get rid of - for 5 or 10 dollars. I found 200 Motels (VHS), and a Moby Grape cd there. This was pre-internet. Of course, the store is long since gone. It has been a long time since I had a place to go and find such things.

when i used to frequent record stores more i would find stuff like that. i always wondered if i should tell the clerk that the disc is worth 10 times what they are selling it for :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree - some people can tell the difference in sound. This is particularity noticeable depending on the bit rate, and what was used to rip/create the Mp3 files. I think the bit rate of Amazon's Mp3 files are 256. I don't know how they get the files though. I suppose that is nice that they offer such files for a low price, but I am still not willing to pay for Mp3 files. I don't mess with Mp3 files unless it is the only way I can get a song, or album (usually something that is out of print, found on a blog somewhere). It would be nice if they sold FLAC files. I suppose that may happen someday.

Matador does sell FLAC files. i'm sure other labels will catch on to that as well.

Hey Analogman,

Check this out:

Is this what you're looking for?

Fleetwood Mac via Bull Moose Records

Let me know if that's the one. :thumbup

Edit: And for anyone else they are running a Black Friday deal. $5.97 for select cds.

Bull Moose $5.97 Select CDs

including some Aerosmith, Jeff Buckley, Jeff Beck, 311, Cowboy Junkies, Alice In Chains, Johnny Cash, Blue Oyster Cult, Louis Armstrong, Ben Folds Five, The Byrds, The Clash & Chet Atkins/Les Paul - Chester & Lester.

$6.97 CDs including Them Crooked Vultures

Bull Moose $6.97 Select CDs

$9.97 for select Beatles' Remasters and others.

$9.97 Select CDs

That is it. What is the deal with that site?

Do you mean in terms of believability or are you having technical issues?

I go there about once a month in Salem, NH. They are a legit "indie" record store. I haven't bought from them online before, but they were super cool putting aside the Ashes DVD & You Never Know Vinyl Single.

I can vouch for them if that's what you mean. :thumbup If not, I'll cut off my left thumb. :pirate

Do you mean in terms of believability or are you having technical issues?

I go there about once a month in Salem, NH. They are a legit "indie" record store. I haven't bought from them online before, but they were super cool putting aside the Ashes DVD & You Never Know Vinyl Single.

I can vouch for them if that's what you mean. :thumbup If not, I'll cut off my left thumb. :pirate

That is what I was wondering - if it is a safe site.

That is what I was wondering - if it is a safe site.

Oh yes it is. There's one other location in NH: Portsmouth. Then the other locations are all over Maine.

So I assume any of those locations should have that cd. :thumbup

They also have vinyl on the site too.

For anyone heading to Boston or MA in general, it's a pretty easily accessible place off of Rt 93.

Oh yes it is. There's one other location in NH: Portsmouth. Then the other locations are all over Maine.

So I assume any of those locations should have that cd. :thumbup

They also have vinyl on the site too.

For anyone heading to Boston or MA in general, it's a pretty easily accessible place off of Rt 93.

I ordered it. Thanks for the information. I have been after that cd for a while. The other one I mentioned has a really nice book in it, this one does also. (40 some pages).

I ordered it. Thanks for the information. I have been after that cd for a while. The other one I mentioned has a really nice book in it, this one does also. (40 some pages).

No problem. Glad I could help in some way. It's a pretty crazy store. I'm usually on the verge of a panic attack every time I go in because I'm so overwhelmed.

And I never bring a list, which I should start doing to make things easier on me.

They have a very large USED & NEW vinyl section, so if anyone is looking for anything in particular let me know at some point. I usually go once a month like I said. (Edit: Maybe even more now, since I realized that they are open to midnight every night. It's a good place to go to around that time if nothing is going on.)

There's even an "ODD" & "MISCELLANEOUS" vinyl section that is not listed by bands. :thumbup So I figure one could spend an afternoon with their tongues wagging out at such oddities.

No problem. Glad I could help in some way. It's a pretty crazy store. I'm usually on the verge of a panic attack every time I go in because I'm so overwhelmed.

And I never bring a list, which I should start doing to make things easier on me.

They have a very large USED & NEW vinyl section, so if anyone is looking for anything in particular let me know at some point. I usually go once a month like I said.

There's even an "ODD" & "MISCELLANEOUS" vinyl section that is not listed by bands. :thumbup So I figure one could spend an afternoon with their tongues wagging out at such oddities.

I have only ever ordered cds from Amazon, since there are no longer record stores where I live. It looks like I need to learn to look elsewhere. Thanks again.

I have only ever ordered cds from Amazon, since there are no longer record stores where I live. It looks like I need to learn to look elsewhere. Thanks again.

Yeah, no problem. I actually found this place by chance and not word of mouth.

They are sandwhiched between Newbury Comics and Best Buy on the major retail strip. So they have some competition from the typical mass consumer.

After hearing about the lack of a good record store, I consider myself very fortunate to have this store. Especially considering the town that's it in isn't big and isn't even a college town.

It's like a practical joke. I'm not even sure if there's any good record stores anymore around Harvard Square? If that's the case, I'd be pissed to live there and drive into f%^cking New Hampshire for one. LOL

Matador does sell FLAC files. i'm sure other labels will catch on to that as well.

The Beatles released a USB drive with the full stereo box set in FLAC and 320-kbps MP3.

It was a limited edition ... not sure if any more of these are available.

it's exactly the same as buying a CD. just imagine the CD is on some shelf taking up space in your house music.gif

No way, even with my relatively poor hearing, I can tell. I played cuts on the remastered White Album on CD and compared it MP3 versions on my Ipod, both run through a decent stereo. It's pretty obvious. With an MP3, it's like skipping, what, maybe 2/3rds of the data on a CD?

Wow. This thread really sparked some comments. I did not anticipate this; thought I would just share some music.

Anyway, let me apologize for my improper semantics. For me "LP" means long play, as in, a full length album as opposed to EP (extended play) or single. In this digital age, it seems our vocabulary tends to get muddled and lose meaning. Sorry for the confusion.

I, like all good music snobs, prefer the CD (and vinyl) over MP3s. I am a dork for artwork, liner notes, et. al. I still have CD long-boxes taking up real estate in my house. However, I find cheap MP3s a good place to start when test-driving new artists. If I like, I go buy CDs; if not, not harm done.

Cheers.

I find cheap free MP3s a good place to start when test-driving new artists. If I like, I go buy CDs; if not, not harm done.

I buy a large amount of music, and have large stacks of CDs and records in my house, but I download stuff for free if I'm unfamiliar with it. I'm 100% OK with this. I do, however, look down on people who download entire discographies in one fell swoop, and never actually buy music. This is the collector in me, but that's really no fun at all.

I buy a pretty fair amount of music, and although most of it is on CD, I'll settle for the mp3s from Amazon if the price is right. For example, I'm interested in getting an obscure import by a band called Arzachel, featuring early work from guitarist Steve Hillage. Total cost of a used copy of the CD (with shipping): $25.97. Total for the mp3 version: $5.99. With over 16,000 tracks on my iTunes, how often am I really going to listen to the actual CD if I buy it? It's an easy decision. I've done this with several pricey out-of-print Blue Note titles as well, and have absolutely zero regrets.

Of course, I suspect that my attendance at numerous rock concerts over the past 30 years has damaged my hearing a little, as I can't discern any depreciation of sound when I play these tunes through my iPod in the car. Maybe it's the road noise. :lol