IS this the greatest guitar solo ever?

I posted this awhile back in a rock and roll hall of fame thread because I think this was from an induction ceremony and it's one of my fave HOF moments? I like the guy holding him up when he is leaning backwards off the stage and him throwing his guitar up and walking out at the end. Definite showman.

But not even close to the greatest guitar solo of all time. That belongs to Jimi Hendrix for the Band of Gypsy's version of Machine gun. rock.gif

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember a poll done many years ago and they said that the solo in Cream's version of Crossroads was the best of all time....I never thought that but is was tasty.

I would say you can make a case for many Hendrix solos.....too many to list.

What about Free Bird or Comfortably Numb

IMHO, nothing approaches Zappa's solo in Inca Roads.

Prince's solo would have been better if Lynne and Petty wouldn't have kept interrupting it with their singing.

Exactly on both accounts! Though Hendrix's "Machine Gun" solo is fantastic.

Prince may play an incredible guitar solo from time to time, but the man also randomly demands a camel at his Paisley Park residence at 3 in the morning. And he isn't even shooting an album cover or anything.

i think this solo is pretty badass. i'm as impressed as i was when i saw it four years ago.

one reason prince is getting so much credit as being the 'next' jimi or whatever is because he does something most other 'guitar gods' fail to do (and i happen to believe it is the key to being "great" at anything) ... use discretion. when you give 'em just a little, they come back wanting more. prince doesn't flood his albums with solo after solo, and he doesn't really ever bring up the fact that he's a badass on the guitar, or that he plays pretty much every other instrument out there pretty damn well, too.

I mean seriously, how sick is this?!?!

And yeah, that's George Harrison's kid standing behind Prince, with the acoustic; having his mind blown along with everyone else. I mean, his dad was a Beatle, and even he is in awe of the little man.

Yes, Yes it is.

I love how he nonchalantly tosses his guitar up in the air after the solo.