The Flaming Lips - Dark Side of the Moon

Well, it's on the intertubes. Not sure when it is officially released, but what does everyone think about it? I'm on my first listen now. They definitely felt free to make it a Flaming Lips album, which I'm happy with. It's weird hearing it in such a different light, but in a lot of ways fitting as well.

I can't imagine that I'm really going to like it. The last 2 MOJO magazine's have had remakes of the entire Wall album. Some of them very well done and interesting but I really doubt I will be pulling them out to listen ever again. But I do want to hear it.

Speaking of Pink Floyd, I just read an interview with Alan Parker (directed the wall) and he had some interesting things to say about Roger Waters. Apparently Roger was considered for the lead part in that but Parker said Roger had "More Albert Speer than Albert Finney in him". I thought that was pretty funny.

I listened to it today. I pretty much thought that they disgraced Pink Floyd. The record was shit. Although, I personally believe that if I were a Lips fan to begin with, I would have thought it was pretty cool. However, I am not. Therefore I disliked it very much. On the otherhand, If Wilco had covered DSOM, and no matter how shitty it was, I would still love it. I believe its all based on perspective.

• 3 months later...

I finally got around to downloading this from i-tunes this weekend. I've been through it a couple times, and I like it a lot. It's different enough to be interesting, but still holds the greatness of DSOM. Least favorite is Great Gig in the Sky; I needed that one to be a little more reverent. But the rest is a good mix of mashing in lots of stuff in some places, and stripping out lots of stuff in others.

I understand why non-Lips fans wouldn't like it. I don't see it winning any new fans.

I understand why non-Lips fans wouldn't like it. I don't see it winning any new fans.

I don't even see it keeping old fans around. It just confirms for me that I just can't get into this band for any reason anymore. I loved their output up through Yoshimi and then lost all interest. Embryonic was so dull that to this day I still have not been able to sit through it in one sitting. I like a couple of the individual songs but the album as a whole is pretty rough IMO.

I don't even see it keeping old fans around. It just confirms for me that I just can't get into this band for any reason anymore. I loved their output up through Yoshimi and then lost all interest. Embryonic was so dull that to this day I still have not been able to sit through it in one sitting. I like a couple of the individual songs but the album as a whole is pretty rough IMO.

Embryonic is probably my favorite lips album! It's just so dirty, free, and dissonant.. Most of it lacks any tonal quality at all, and that's what I love about it.. To me it sounds like they set up their instruments in a factory where the music can barely be heard over the machines, and recorded an album... Also a great night driving album.

But back to the topic, I liked Dark Side of the Moon. Didn't knock my socks off, and I've only listened to it a couple times, but I like what they did.. Especially with $. :thumbup

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Wayne Coyne should be sending Jeff Tweedy Christmas, Hannukah and Birthday cards with a $100 bill in it for the rest of his life. The media firestorm following the release of Wilco from the REPRISE contract has given Wayne Coyne carte blanche for the rest of his recording life.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Wayne Coyne should be sending Jeff Tweedy Christmas, Hannukah and Birthday cards with a $100 bill in it for the rest of his life. The media firestorm following the release of Wilco from the REPRISE contract has given Wayne Coyne carte blanche for the rest of his recording life.

Wayne already had that. Zaireeka came out in 1997. So he wasn't really lacking recording freedom before the Wilco/Reprise fiasco.

Wayne already had that. Zaireeka came out in 1997. So he wasn't really lacking recording freedom before the Wilco/Reprise fiasco.

You think he could have pulled that off in 2001?

Speaking of Zaireeka-- has anyone ever listened to it as it was meant to be played? I recall achieving that just one time @ a hazy party in the middle of the woods. It took several tries to sync the 4 boom boxes up, but the result was nothing short of mind-blowing. At least that's how I remember it.

Maybe we could get a Zaireeka listening group together this August in one of the campgrounds? It would be allsome. :thumbup

Speaking of Zaireeka-- has anyone ever listened to it as it was meant to be played? I recall achieving that just one time @ a hazy party in the middle of the woods. It took several tries to sync the 4 boom boxes up, but the result was nothing short of mind-blowing. At least that's how I remember it.

Maybe we could get a Zaireeka listening group together this August in one of the campgrounds? It would be allsome. :thumbup

Yup. A few times. Pretty neat.

I do think the Wilco fiasco helped people/bands like the Flaming Lips. But I think in this case, they've always had a very good relationship with WB, and WB has always let Wayne do some weird shit.

My two cents...

Good: Any Colour You Like,

Decent: Brain Damage/Eclipse, Speak to me/Breathe, Us and them, Great Gig in the Sky, On The Run

Bad: Time

Downright putrid: Money

Seems almost lazy or rushed. The "interview" parts with Rollins seem forced and cheesy. It seems to ignore the best parts of the album. Whether or not they did this on purpose to create their own sound it focuses almost on the weaknesses of the original. Point in case is on Us and Them and Money. Us and Them seems flat and unfinished almost. It completely ignores the best part of the song by ignoring the epic energy boosts of the original song. They basically cut out the middle parts on Money and Time. On Money they use a voice box which sounds awful. Then they continue on with pretty much a single basic riff and completely ignore the sax and guitar solo. Money was a pretty average song on the original IMO and the only thing that made the song good was the sax and guitar solo. How you can ignore that is beyond me. I don't even know what to say on Time. It's just not good until the Breathe reprise comes in. That was pretty cool.

The album also just doesn't have the flow to it. The transition between Brain Damage and Eclipse just isn't there which is a major flaw IMO.

They neglect that major parts of the album. I dont care that they re-did the songs their own way, but they just missed the point of the album. In short, they didn't spend enough time on the album as they should of and it shows.

• 2 months later...