• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Paul McCartney - Fenway

2. Wilco - Portland, ME

3. Tweedy - Northampton, MA

4. Wilco - Lowell, MA

5. Wilco - Brooklyn, MA (The concert AND the day itself were one of my tops days of the year!)

(I missed not ONE but TWO opportunities to see Springsteen! Silly me, I was on a cross-country trek to be in a wedding. Oh well!)

Solo show- M. Ward at the Dallas museum of art in March.

Duet- Flight of the Concords at Grand Prairie Nokia theater.

Full Band- toss up between David Byrne at the historic downtown Dallas Majestic or Alice Cooper at the Dallas Palladium.

Honorable mention- Wilco at the Palladium because they are Wilco!

I didn’t see as many shows as normal this year but these were certainly all memorable:

- Bruce Springsteen and E Street Band, November 7, 2009, – entire Wild, Innocent and E Street Shuffle album – in New York New York

- Wilco, October 16, Massey Hall

- Elvis Costello and Sugarcanes, August 28, Massey Hall

- Bruce Springsteen and E Street Band, November 22, 2009 – entire Greetings from Asbury Park album in Buffalo

I was there for that! Pretty high up there for me too.

As for my favorite, gotta go with Local H at Emo's in Austin.

High five.

I didn’t see as many shows as normal this year but these were certainly all memorable:

- Bruce Springsteen and E Street Band, November 7, 2009, – entire Wild, Innocent and E Street Shuffle album – in New York New York

- Wilco, October 16, Massey Hall

- Elvis Costello and Sugarcanes, August 28, Massey Hall

- Bruce Springsteen and E Street Band, November 22, 2009 – entire Greetings from Asbury Park album in Buffalo

Jealous of the Springsteen shows..those were the two albums that he played in the entirety I missed!

A great year for concerts here in Sydney Australia last year. My highlights:

Jeff Beck - Enmore Theatre. January

??? i never knew he toured australia. did he come to melbourne. if so, he didnt tell me.

the enmore was the best Wilco show i saw in 97

Guest Jesus Etc

1. Leonard Cohen - Phoenix

2. Wilco - UIC 2nd night

3. Wilco - Bloomington

4. Depeche Mode - Lollapalooza

5. Jeff Tweedy - Vic 2nd night

6. Leonard Cohen - Chicago in October

7. Alejandro Escovedo - Schuba's

8. Depeche Mode - Bogota

9. The Hold Steady - Chicago

10. Wilco - Colombus

11. Wilco - UIC 1st night

I didn't see as many 'big' stadium/amphitheatre shows last year as usual but saw a lot of club shows.

1) Andrew Bird (St.Vincent) Cats Cradle, Carrboro, NC

2) Amanda Palmer ArtsCenter, Carrboro, NC

3) Jenny Lewis (DeerTick) Cats Cradle, Carrboro, NC

4) Gov't Mule, Lincoln Theatre Street, Raleigh, NC

The Avett Brothers- April 18- Tivoli Theatre Chattanooga, TN: this show was great because it was hometown for me, and I got to take my sister for her birthday. It's always neat to see a rock show at the Tivoli, because I've played there in a classical setting, and the atmosphere is totally different

The Decemberists- Sept 27- Ryman Auditorium Nashville TN: wow!! the decemberists are amazing live. I was so blown away by this show! really brought the Hazards of Love to life, and made it one of my very favorite records of the year

Son Volt- Nov. 21- Rhythm and Brews Chattanooga, TN: i got to meet Jay, and the set was much more rocking than when I saw them on Valentines day at the beginning of the year. Really wonderful set, and the new guitar player was great.

Jason Isbell- May 2009- Rhythm and Brews Chattanooga TN: very solid show- I hope he comes back to town again!

Rhett Miller- Aug 23- Third & Lindsley- Nashville, TN- very fun intimate show. I forgot how fun Rhett is solo

Rocco Deluca- Aug 14- Nightfall Concert Series- Chattanooga TN- Rocco DeLuca is so wonderful, I wish more people would go see him play. I always walk away impressed.

1. Phish -- 12/2-12/5 -- MSG & Charlottesville, VA -- Close of the Fall Tour, they were really kicking on all cylinders. Great jams, great cover choices, and some Phish antics. "Run Like a Naked Guy" -- truly unique.

2. Phish -- 3/6-7 -- Hampton, VA -- It was just great to see them back, being there for the opening notes of "Fluffhead" was out of this world.

3. New York Philharmonic with Trey Anatasio -- 9/12 -- Carnegie Hall -- Orchestral versions of You Enjoy Myself, The Divided Sky, First Tube, Pebbles & Marbles, If I Could -- doesn't get much better than that.

4. Wilco -- 4/21 -- Asheville, NC -- Really solid show, you knew it as soon as they opened with Sunken Treasure.

5. Dr. John / Neville Brothers -- 2/24 -- Chapel Hill, NC -- NOLA sounds on Margi Gras. That's just epic.

6. Medeski, Martin, & Wood / Tea Leaf Green -- 9/6 -- Baltimore, MD -- Just two of my favorite bands doing what they do best.

7. Derek Trucks Band / Soulive -- National Harbor, MD -- Two of the best guitarists alive jamming together. Nasty good.

8. Phish -- 6/9-10 -- Asheville, NC & Knoxville, TN -- Indoor Phish in the summer. Intimate show and then full on ragefest with jams in Knox.

9. Marco Benevento Trio -- Falls Church, VA -- featuring Reed Mathis on bass. All my favorite originals plus clutch covers of MMJ's Golden and Led Zeppelin's Friends amongst others.

10. Blitzen Trapper -- Baltimore, MD -- such a great, great band. They really put on a solid live show, too.

honorable mention -- Trampled by Turtles -- Arlington, VA -- frantic, frantic bluegrass. As a bonus they encored with my favorite song of theirs, School Bus Driver.