Wilco Tango Foxtrot Ale

Guest Jules

from Pitchfork...

According to a spokeswoman, the title is derived from the same shortwave radio recording that originally inspired Wilco to call their album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, as well as the phrase "WTF". Though they also admitted the Lagunitas owner "has probably heard Wilco." Wilco, however, seem to think the beer is named after them.

The Lagunitas spokesperson and owner are both lying and must believe we are all idiots . This beer that they put out was 100% named after Wilco (the band). If they had truly followed the ICAO alphabet/NATO phonetic alphabet, which assigns code words to the English alphabet, the name of the beer would have been "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot".

For Pitchfork to claim that the band the band 'seems to think 'the beer is named after them' is also idiotic and shows just how little these people running that organization really know. Isn't it about time they went out of business? Pitchfork please just go away.

And finally, I had a chance to drink one of these 22oz bottles of ale the other night. Yuck. I have nothing against hoppy, high alcohol beers, but this beer made me wince like I was taking a shot of cheap tequila with every swallow. I will go for a Dogfish Head 90 or 120 way before suffering through another one of these Lagunitas beers.

Jeez.

• 3 weeks later...

The Lagunitas spokesperson and owner are both lying and must believe we are all idiots . This beer that they put out was 100% named after Wilco (the band). If they had truly followed the ICAO alphabet/NATO phonetic alphabet, which assigns code words to the English alphabet, the name of the beer would have been "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot".

But they couldn't name the beer Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Every beers' name has to get approved, and having the word 'Whiskey' on a bottle of beer just doesn't cut it. The owner wasn't lying. Here is a link describing the thought process behind naming the beer. Sorry folks, the beer wasn't named after Wilco.

Yeah, he's got some plausible deniability on the name thing, but... c'mon.

Also: after not having had a drink in maybe a year or so, I had two of these last Sunday. I think I'm still hungover. :dead

• 1 month later...

Found in Minneapolis @ Kings Wine Bar, kingsmpls.com

I might have to stop by tonight for a taste. I hope it's Great! I have my doubts..... from the (Kings) website:

Wilco Tango Foxtrot $6

Limited Release Brown Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company, CA

“a big ol’ Imperial Brown Ale to help you with your slipperly slide on into springtime. Rich, smooth, dangerous & chocolatey.” And. . . 7.83% alcohol! Passenger side, indeed! A Malty Robust Jobless Recovery Ale.

Well, someone's a Wilco fan :)

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So I got to meet Don Chatier at a Lagunitas tasting yesterday, and he told the story of this beer. Again, the original name of the beer was supposed to be Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (WTF, get it?). He said that after the beer came out, they ended up talking to some people from Wilco, and sent a few cases their way. Because of this, they actually got involved with Solid Sound this year, and he said they are hoping to have the band over for a visit to the brewery sometime.

they definitely didn't bring enough 22oz bottles of WTF to Solid Sound, and the stuff ended up selling out within the 1st hour or so of days 1 and 2, and there was none for day 3. they even sold out of the IPA on day 3, and even Goose Island had no more IPA left.

at least i got a couple of free pints of WTF when i was in the lounge area doing a couple of band interviews. :D