Newbie...with question

So been a fan of Wilco since BEING THERE. Got into the old UT stuff, and have been a die hard fan since. Got tickets to see them in Clearwater for the 1st time! So stoked! Converted my girlfriend. Typically, she HATES country and is love with Radiohead and music that is definitely NOT mainstream. She comes to me this morning with a question, and I didn't know the answer, so I am coming to you. She is unique in that she doesn't want to be a typical fan in that she doesn't want to go crazy to hear the songs SHE LOVES knowing everyone else loves the same ones. Does that make sense? Anyway, I told her that fans of Wilco love all their songs, but some more than others, of course. But she wanted to know if the following songs are FAN FAVORITES because she wants to embrace these songs more or less by herself. She won't be able to enjoy them by herself regardless of what songs they are, but I am listing them to get your thoughts on them. Do you consider the following songs YOUR favorites?

1. VIA Chicago (my personal fav)

2. Heavy Metal Drummer

3. What light

4. I am trying to break your heart

And while we are at it, and considering I am new on the board, what are YOUR favorite songs? I realize this has most likely been a topic before, but I would appreciate any enlightment. Thanks! Bob

She is unique in that she doesn't want to be a typical fan in that she doesn't want to go crazy to hear the songs SHE LOVES knowing everyone else loves the same ones. Does that make sense?

Can't she love these songs regardless of who else loves 'em? Music is a beautiful thing if you give up all other considerations and reservations and just go with the flow. :music

That said, of the four you list, I'd say What Light isn't a huge fan favorite among the majority of people, and doesn't get played much by the band at all these days, either. All of the others tend to be "crowd pleasers".

if I am understanding the question correctly, she only wants to love songs that aren't well loved by everyone else. it is odd, since one's taste is one's taste and well, if you like Heavy Metal Drummer or I am Trying to Break Your Heart...that's what you love. with that said, if she's keen on finding uncommon songs, start with wilco base, see what songs don't show up heavily in the live performance rotation and pick those. Wilco plays top requested songs at concerts and Jeff takes requests at his solo shows. She can then embrace the one's that don't show up all too often and I guess feel like they are her own. A few that come to mind:

Radio Cure

Less Than You Think

Leave Me Like You Found Me

and there is definitely a song off of A.M., I forget which one, that Jeff loathes and apologized for having to play it at the residency a couple of years ago. I forgot which one it was though.

although, I have already claimed Radio Cure as my own, so ...

if I am understanding the question correctly, she only wants to love songs that aren't well loved by everyone else. it is odd, since one's taste is one's taste and well, if you like Heavy Metal Drummer or I am Trying to Break Your Heart...that's what you love. with that said, if she's keen on finding uncommon songs, start with wilco base, see what songs don't show up heavily in the live performance rotation and pick those. Wilco plays top requested songs at concerts and Jeff takes requests at his solo shows. She can then embrace the one's that don't show up all too often and I guess feel like they are her own. A few that come to mind:

Radio Cure

Less Than You Think

Leave Me Like You Found Me

and there is definitely a song off of A.M., I forget which one, that Jeff loathes and apologized for having to play it at the residency a couple of years ago. I forgot which one it was though.

although, I have already claimed Radio Cure as my own, so ...

I Thought I Held You..only played once live in 15 years!

So been a fan of Wilco since BEING THERE. Got into the old UT stuff, and have been a die hard fan since. Got tickets to see them in Clearwater for the 1st time! So stoked! Converted my girlfriend. Typically, she HATES country and is love with Radiohead and music that is definitely NOT mainstream. She comes to me this morning with a question, and I didn't know the answer, so I am coming to you. She is unique in that she doesn't want to be a typical fan in that she doesn't want to go crazy to hear the songs SHE LOVES knowing everyone else loves the same ones. Does that make sense? Anyway, I told her that fans of Wilco love all their songs, but some more than others, of course. But she wanted to know if the following songs are FAN FAVORITES because she wants to embrace these songs more or less by herself. She won't be able to enjoy them by herself regardless of what songs they are, but I am listing them to get your thoughts on them. Do you consider the following songs YOUR favorites?

2. Heavy Metal Drummer

3. What light

And while we are at it, and considering I am new on the board, what are YOUR favorite songs? I realize this has most likely been a topic before, but I would appreciate any enlightment. Thanks! Bob

Welcome to the board.

I think 2 & 4 are considered very popular in that HMD is played a almost every concert and IATTBYH is played at maybe 50%.

depends on my mood but today I will go with:

Misunderstood

Reservations

Poor Places

Funny Rwilson. Thank you for the replies. I wanted to respond and say that she does love ALL of the Wilco music, but she was just wondering if there are songs that are not crowd favorites that she likes a lot. She typically doesn't like 'favorites' anyway. Short, funny story. I loated YHF when I first heard it. It was horrible. This is the same band that did SUMMERTEETH? Hated it! I put it on a few times hoping it would grow on me. Still hated it. Put it aside and bought GHOST and SKY BLUE SKY, and loved those. I tried YHF again just last year when my girlfriend was in my truck, and she asked, 'who is this?' - 'I love it.' I told her the whole story about me not liking YHF and it just goes to show differing opinions. And it may just be me, but I mentioned before that her favorite band is Radiohead, and the reason I didn't like YHF was I thought they were going down the same path, and it wasn't to my taste; hence she may fell in love with Wilco because of the similarities between YHF and Radiohead. And, just for the record, I love YHF now, and consider it their masterpiece, even above SUMMERTEETH. Bob

Typically, she HATES country and is love with Radiohead and music that is definitely NOT mainstream. She comes to me this morning with a question, and I didn't know the answer, so I am coming to you. She is unique in that she doesn't want to be a typical fan in that she doesn't want to go crazy to hear the songs SHE LOVES knowing everyone else loves the same ones. Does that make sense? Anyway, I told her that fans of Wilco love all their songs, but some more than others, of course. But she wanted to know if the following songs are FAN FAVORITES because she wants to embrace these songs more or less by herself.

The answer is to dump your girlfriend.

2. Heavy Metal Drummer

3. What light

You can reasonably expect to hear Heavy Metal Drummer and I am Trying to break your heart...if you are REALLY lucky Via Chicago will make an apparance.

I must say my favorite live songs are Handshake Drugs, Bull Black Nova and Side with Seeds.

...if you are REALLY lucky Via Chicago will make an apparance.

Really? They've played it every time I've seen them, I'm pretty sure. (I've only seen them 5 times, but still...)

Lists like this are tough. My first stab:

1. She's a Jar

2. The Lonely One

3. Theologians

4. Jesus, Etc.