Artists you used to hate

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clem Burke is heck of a drummer. (He actually played drums for The Ramones for a couple of shows in the late 80s.)

He's the drummer on one of my favorite records by them,"Too Tough To Die"

for me it was The Kingston Trio......(but I guess you're suppose to hate what your parents liked,right??)

The John Stewart years were vastly superior to the initial Dave Guard period.

-Robert

As far as I know, Richie Ramone played the drums on that album. I think Clem only did two shows with them. At least, that is what it says in the Ramones book I have.

I use to have a Kingston Trio album when I was kid.

I rather like that album, and the one after it - Animal Boy.

I've tried to listen to some steely dan, because some musicians I really respect love them, but everything I've heard from them seems recorded so shitty--sounds like muffled playing through a stringcan.

Most underrated Stones song has to be Monkey Man. Didn't hear it until about 12 years ago, blows me away every time.

Listen here

Monkey Man can be slid anywhere onto any (rock/pop) mix tape ever made and sound amazing -- fit right in. Try it. Just throw it onto any (rock-based) mix that you're making and hear the magic!

Love that song.

I'm glad you are a monkey woman, too.

Sshhhhhh . . . (whispering) never liked Led Zepplin in the 70's.

Dead, Dylan, Neil, Zappa, etc., left no room for the radio-popular Zepplin.

Have since grown to love them.

"Monkey Man" in GoodFellas though. C'mon.

I was just about to type that. As someone mentioned above, "Moonlight Mile" is a good one for underrated Stones songs. Along those lines, you can also include "Stray Cat Blues." That song kicks all kinds of ass.

Sshhhhhh . . . (whispering) never liked Led Zepplin in the 70's.

Dead, Dylan, Neil, Zappa, etc., left no room for the radio-popular Zepplin.

Have since grown to love them.

Until you spell it correctly, I ain't buyin' the love. ;)

I've tried to listen to some steely dan, because some musicians I really respect love them, but everything I've heard from them seems recorded so shitty--sounds like muffled playing through a stringcan.

I have heard a lot of things about Steely Dan but never poor production. Then again I don't think I have ever listened to them with Headphones.

Since poon has violated the spirit of the subject line, I will too.

The Grateful Dead. Don't get it. Never got it.

Since poon has violated the spirit of the subject line, I will too.

The Grateful Dead. Don't get it. Never got it.

I felt the same way about Springsteen for the longest time. I just thought the hype was more than the substance. Time (or was it Life?) anointing him as 'The Next Dylan" or "Rock's Voice" or whatever it was back in '75-'76 or so.

Then after the Seeger stuff I began to appreciate the man a lot more, and now I find much of his back catalogue very much a part of the American music continuum. So hopefully, my friend, may you one day see this in the music of the Dead. :thumbup

I thought of a couple more...

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Couldn't stand them when I was younger. Fogarty's voice was like nails on a chalkboard. Now, they are one of my favorites. I love them.

Bob Seger - Growing up in Michigan, Bob Seger was pretty much rammed down the throat of every FM radio listner in the late '70's - mid '80's. I just couldn't stand him. Now, I have a wonderful appreciation of his ability to paint a picture with lyrics.

Wilco. An old mate made me listen to Mermaid Ave and I resisted and feined unimpressedness. I never heard another thing about them, but always remembered 'Billy Bragg and Wilco', then I stumbled on SBS.

Johnny Cash is the other one. I thought he was an old country hick until the same friend as above gave me American Recordings. I still prefer the solo voice/guitar (Personal File in the Legacy series is one of the best CDs I own), but what a quality body of work. Looking forward to American VI. Never could get into Hank though...