Sky Blue Sky Sandwich Company in Toronto

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

People aren't wild about the food:

Or rather, one person, who easily could have taken their sandwich back to the counter to be heated properly/remade, did not enjoy his experience. The first link in the first post of this thread has a pretty glowing review from a media outlet, and the other person in this thread who went enjoyed it.

And I'd never eat a sandwich with pear on it myself; they can be so fickle with their flavor and consistency.

Guest Speed Racer

Eternal optimist that I am, if I went to a place that baked its own bread daily, I'd go back a second time to see if it wasn't a bad batch. The newspaper review complimented the bread specifically, and I'd trust a food critic over a possibly finicky eater any day of the week - at least to try a place.

Also, sometimes homemade bread has a "drier" texture than perpetually moist packaged bread, like Wonder bread or something. You know what I mean? Homemade bread goes dry pretty quickly.

I want to join their team and provide some baked goods. Pecan Pie, Chinese Apple Pie, Muzzle of Bees honeycake...

I'd go with a sandwich named "Panthers" made with bits of real panther... so you know it's good.

Or a ill-prepared sammy of any provence, assembled without the use of necessary hair nets. Let's call it Bob Dylan's 49th Beard.

Edit: Or if I'm going to be helpful on the matter. How about a larger than normal Reuben, with homemade rye bread and thousand island, grilled with clarified butter and name it "Impossible Germany"? Not that super clever... but sounds delicious.

This place made the Trib today.

See below for cute suggestions for sandwiches.

LouieB

Eatery serves up hefty slice of Wilco

6:21 PM CST, March 4, 2010

Years ago, when the band was still opening for other acts, Wilco played a large concert hall in Detroit. A person in the front row was eating a sandwich, the paper wrapping unfurled along the lip of the stage, for easier handling. Jeff Tweedy, leader of the Chicago band, stopped in midsong. "Do I come to where you work and eat my lunch on your desk?" he asked. Then he stared at the man until the offending meal was removed from the stage.

So, what's Tweedy going to do now in Toronto?

Sky Blue Sky Sandwich Co. just opened there, and every sandwich is named for a Wilco song or album. The name of the shop is the name of a recent Wilco album; the walls are adorned with Wilco posters; the speakers play Wilco songs. Start your day with a "Shot in the Arm" breakfast sandwich, then return for the "Mermaid Avenue'' (marinated salmon filets "served on our zesty lemon white bread"), the "Kingpin'' ("succulent, slow-roasted pulled pork") or the "Red-Eyed and Blue" (mozzarella, tomato, wasabi mayonnaise).

The owner is a Canadian in his mid-30s named Chad Comfort. He said that while nothing on the signage or menu explicitly says "Wilco," he has contacted the band's management and informed them of the business. Wilco's management acknowledged the band did give him its blessing and thought the idea "was funny and quite nice."

If Comfort wants to expand his menu, The Talk offers these Wilco-themed sandwiches suggestions:

Cheeses, Etc.

I Am Trying to Stop Your Heart

A Muzzle of Peas

Box Full of Lettuce

When You Wake Up Feeling Like a Bagel

Shot in the Parm

Smoked Black Bull Nova Scotia Salmon on Rye

Heavy Metal Drumstick

BLT

Hell is Mayo on Pastrami

Forget the Flavor (tofu)

Ashes of American Cheese

— Kevin Pang and Chris Borrelli

Copyright © 2010, Chicago Tribune

See below for cute suggestions for sandwiches.

LouieB

If Comfort wants to expand his menu, The Talk offers these Wilco-themed sandwiches suggestions:

Cheeses, Etc.

I Am Trying to Stop Your Heart

A Muzzle of Peas

Box Full of Lettuce

When You Wake Up Feeling Like a Bagel

Shot in the Parm

Smoked Black Bull Nova Scotia Salmon on Rye

Heavy Metal Drumstick

BLT

Hell is Mayo on Pastrami

Forget the Flavor (tofu)

Ashes of American Cheese

Wow, that must have been quite the pun-off in the Trib offices...(groan) :yucky

Yea, like they don't have anything else to do. This article was on page three which is now the most lightweight material (obviously). It used to be that these pages had hard news, but now they are basically the Red Eye. Considering the Trib has shrunk the size of the pages, it is amazing they have time and space for these kinds of stories. Then again....it IS Wilco.

LouieB