NFL '10, off-season

McNabb is to the Eagles as Patrick Ewing was to the Knicks - a very good player who, unfairly, became the scapegoat for the team's failings. A bad move on Philly's part, as Vick is never going to be anything more than a halfback who throws interceptions. I KNEW when the Eagles got Vick that was basically "and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out" for McNabb. I wish Donovan a limited amount of luck in his new position.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Redskins fan, and have always been a fan of Donovan. So, one would think I'd be happy about this, but I think my concern for the ability of our Offensive line to protect him kinda dilutes my enthusiasm. + Who does he throw too?

P.S. I'm not sold on the whole idea of the Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis and "Fast " Willie Parker veteran running back corps. being thrown at the NFC East defenses as a good idea. Just to throw that out there....

I had the same thought(s) about the Redskins' new acquisitions.

After having listened briefly to the LaVar Arrington show today, I'm feeling a little better about it, since the left side of the O line is better than the right, and since McNabb is a righty, his blind side is covered, and they just have to shore up the front side, which is much easier. I really, really, really wish the Redskins would quit giving up draft picks, though.

McNabb is to the Eagles as Patrick Ewing was to the Knicks - a very good player who, unfairly, became the scapegoat for the team's failings. A bad move on Philly's part, as Vick is never going to be anything more than a halfback who throws interceptions. I KNEW when the Eagles got Vick that was basically "and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out" for McNabb. I wish Donovan a limited amount of luck in his new position.

Yeah, the Ewing comparison is spot on. Though Donovan used to haunt WVU in his Syracuse days, I grew to like him as an NFL player, and always pulled for him. I do think it was probably time for the Reid/McNabb combo to be split up, though I'd be more inclined to fire the coach, whose clock management and play calling blows the Eagles at least two games a year than Donovan. Still trading him within the division is pretty ballsy, the Redskins are still probably a year away, but I think they could be a pretty good team in 2011, if their offensive line comes together and they get a running back under 50. If anything they pretty much guaranteed Redskins at Eagles is either a Monday Night or a Sunday Night game this year.

--Mike

I'm a Redskins fan, and have always been a fan of Donovan. So, one would think I'd be happy about this, but I think my concern for the ability of our Offensive line to protect him kinda dilutes my enthusiasm. + Who does he throw too?

P.S. I'm not sold on the whole idea of the Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis and "Fast " Willie Parker veteran running back corps. being thrown at the NFC East defenses as a good idea. Just to throw that out there....

Yeah, as another 'Skins fan, I'd say by acquiring Johnson, Parker, and McNabb we're a sure thing to make the 2005 Super Bowl...

I went ahead and merged the WTF... Eagles? thread here. My new question is WTF? Steelers. I am well aware of the team's off-season issues, and that Holmes is probably going to get a four-game suspension, but trading him for a fifth-round draft pick? Are they going to just blow the entire thing up and ship Pac-Ben (as Jason Whitlock calls him) out of town to? Tebow to a 45-year-old Hines Ward, ladies and gentlemen your 2010 Pittsburgh Steelers. Oy! Time to start watching soccer.

--Mike

P.S.: This is in no way a defense of the off-season actions of Holmes and Pac-Ben, I just think if they are going to blow the team up at least get worthwhile composition for them.

Are Braylon Edwards and Holmes going to be teammates next year? That's a Cowboys-esque chemistry nightmare, plus LT. Pencil the Jets in for 7-9;

Guest Ordinary Beehive

This is in no way a defense of the off-season actions of Holmes and Pac-Ben, I just think if they are going to blow the team up at least get worthwhile composition for them.

I think it's a case of "wash our hands of this as soon as we can". Holmes is certainly worth more than a 5th round pick in terms of his ability, but he'll only play 12 regular season games, tops, and I believe his contract expires after the year. So that's basically all they could get, I guess. One writer said the Jets are essentially renting Holmes for the year.

I think it's a case of "wash our hands of this as soon as we can". Holmes is certainly worth more than a 5th round pick in terms of his ability, but he'll only play 12 regular season games, tops, and I believe his contract expires after the year. So that's basically all they could get, I guess. One writer said the Jets are essentially renting Holmes for the year.

It's a tough situation for the organization for sure. As a fan I'm trying to wrap my head around things, Holmes was part of what one of the highlights of my life as a sports fan (keep in mind the Steelers are the only team that I root for that actually win things), he is a great, great receiver. But that isn't the whole story with him, and I'm not sure if his current predicament should taint my positive memories of Super Bowl 43. Would you rather win with douche bags or not win at all?

--Mike

Guest Ordinary Beehive

Report: Broncos trade WR Marshall to Dolphins

I know he's kind of a douche, but this should be great for the Dolphins. They've needed a receiver for a while. I'll be interested to see how Marshall performs with a QB like Henne.

I always hated the Dolphins as a kid, mostly just because my neighbor liked them, but I've really come around the past few years. Ricky Williams is one of my favorite players ever. I look forward to rooting for Dolphins against the Pats and Jets this year for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Any comments on the first round last night?

I'm happy with the Lions picks, I think... I love that there's grades out there already. But, if Ngoddammokong "boy named" Suh is as good as his hype, Lions should have a decent D-line next year. Hopefully the RB they traded up for can get past his fragile rep.

Guest Ordinary Beehive

Very entertaining draft. Here are my thoughts.

I don't know how I feel about Bradford going #1. I know the Rams had to take a shot at landing a franchise QB, but I just don't know about Bradford. To that note, I can't believe Clausen dropped as much as he did (has). I remember talks of him going #1 a few months back.

I think a lot of the picks were great, especially 2 thru 8. Oakland taking McClain was a shock, but an excellent fucking pick. McClain is going to be a stud.

I love what the Niners did. There's some chatter that they reached a bit for both guys, but I just totally dig that they took a T & G, both of which are expected to be good and are said to be tough as shit.

I also really like what the Seahawks did. Okung is going to be a great franchise LT, I think, and Earl Thomas should be a good starting safety too. I like that they didn't pull the trigger on Clausen.

The Jets got a steal with Kyle Wilson at 29.

I think there were some curious reaches, for sure. Jahvid Best would have still been available for the Lions in round 2, I believe. The Texans and Jaguars reached big time. Houston could have taken Kyle Wilson at 20 and it would have been a money pick.

And then there's the Broncos... Trading down into the late first round to take Thomas & Tebow??? Seriously? Truth be told, I'm looking forward to Tebow in the NFL. I think he could be good. Or he could be terrible. But I really do think he could be better than most people seem to think. But they did not need to trade up to get him. I also just don't understand how he helps your football team.

I'm looking forward to tonight. Can't wait for the Bears at No. 75!!!

I think there were some curious reaches, for sure. Jahvid Best would have still been available for the Lions in round 2, I believe.

Yeah, I read that they must have thought Indianapolis was thinking of taking him, or another team was going to trade up to take him.

Was just going through some Draft stuff and found this little tidbit on a player the Cowboys drafted in 7th round.

SEAN LISSEMORE

POSITION: Defensive tackle

COLLEGE: William & Mary

HEIGHT: 6 feet 3

WEIGHT: 298 pounds

NOTABLE: Troubled by torn labrum in right shoulder as sophomore and junior. Stayed healthy as senior and had 14 ½ tackles for a loss, 6 ½ sacks and two interceptions. Did not have a tackle or an assist in only game of season against a FCS-level team: Virginia. … Turned down wrestling scholarship at Rutgers to play football. Participated in track in high school and had an 11.2 for the 100 meters. Ran 4.82 40 at pro day.

• 3 months later...

OK, so what's the hold-up with Bradford signing?

Lions need Suh in camp ASAP, and he won't sign until Bradford does. I assume that's the case for the rest of the 1st rounders?

How much farther out of hand is the NFL going to let this first round draft shit get?

How much farther out of hand is the NFL going to let this first round draft shit get?

Why do you hate the free market? If someone tried to cock-block you from making millions, would you not be upset?

Why do you hate the free market? If someone tried to cock-block you from making millions, would you not be upset?

I really don't hate the free market. I'm an avid sports fan but really don't pay attention to the off the field stuff. All I know is when its late July and there is one first rounder in camp its a pretty depressing. Trust me I'm not a fan of ownership, I would just like to see these guys on the field sooner. This can't go on much longer anyway, Bradford is getting 8 million more than Stafford, if that rate continues first overallers would be making entire team salaries in about 7 or 8 years, I don't think the league can support that.

I dunno. Considering the brief length of NFL careers and the potential for debilitating life-ruining injury, I don't blame these dudes for getting everything they can.

I dunno. Considering the brief length of NFL careers and the potential for debilitating life-ruining injury, I don't blame these dudes for getting everything they can.

I've been defending athletes for years, especially young ones, for taking what they can get. There is nothing worse then some blow hard on T.V. slamming some kid from the ghetto for holding out for another 5 million. The problem with not having a cap is is say Bradford gets 55 million, Peyton is easily worth 200...where do you draw the line? I'm definitely not blaming the players. Mike Brown has owned my team for the last 20 years...trust me I'm not rooting for the guys in the luxury box.